Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 07:19 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times

Advertisements

People are always on here asking for the best places to live... and WHY? So, I thought it would be productive to just explain WHY you live where you live and your thoughts on THAT area...

I live in the Penfield School District...but in Walworth. We moved here from a quaint home in Brighton (1200sqft colonial) that we felt we would soon outgrow as I was pregnant and we were building our family. We liked Brighton but the houses we wanted, in terms of space and amentities, were much higher in price than we were comfortable paying for at the time (we were still in our mid 20's) and they needed a lot of work... Building a home was a dream for us and Walworth provided us with the opportunity to make that dream a reality. THAT and it was smack dab between both of our families (in Fairport and Webster) Five years ago, we built a 2000 sqft home for under $90/sqft. I live on 1/3 of an acre that looks out onto a vast amount of green space. The neighborhood is small and not a MANSION FACTORY that seems to be so popular these days. "Civilization" is not too far away... six minutes if you want to be exact . Civilization being Wegmans/ dining/ convenience stores/ Target /Bank... My husband has about a 35 minute commute to work that is extended in the worst months of winter to about 50 minutes to an hour at times- depending on what time he actually leaves-if he works late it is still 35 min. That is one draw back... especially with gas. Another is that it is WAYNE CO not MONROE... and the whole "315" mentality really DOES exist in Walworth... even though the County Line is about a mile away. Our taxes are also VERY high... My home is assessed at $190K and my taxes are over $7K... that is high even for Rochester. However, I like it out here- the serenity of it all... but I am constantly trying to find a home in Fairport/Perinton to meet our needs... but we live in a great neighborhood, have a Fab School System, and we are close ENOUGH to everything... it is a great place to start a family... there are many young people and a lot of kids for my children to play with... the kids love it here.

Last edited by skbs; 08-14-2008 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 12:25 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,940 times
West Webster - Like being near the lake; many homes in my older neigborhood have a great view of the Bay and the lake. Beautiful neighborhood with lots of trees. Easy to get into the city (15-20min), great neighborhood feeling - lots of streets to ride my bike on without having to hit main roads, nice neighborhoods with well-kept houses in a mix of older surburban with some new tracks -- all kind of houses from big new ones to older cape cods and ranches all mixed together. Easy to get to stores for day-to-day needs, incl groceries, dry-cleaner, liquor, etc., right at Empire/Bay (in a few minutes) or down Rt 104 to Holt Rd "box" stores (10 minutes). A very nice socio-economic mix of people. We have great neighbors - a good mix of some families, some couples (both younger and empty-nesters as well as retirees), some singles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area