Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:29 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times

Advertisements

Strange but true. My son has a cheap radio where channels here in Buffalo are all static, or poor receiption if he's not holding on to the antenna. But every night (around 9pm) he gets a station from Rochester "the buzz" clear as a bell. He asked me how it is possible that our hometown stations don't come in, yet he can listen to another station so far away. Maybe someone can share the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:24 AM

260 posts, read 977,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Strange but true. My son has a cheap radio where channels here in Buffalo are all static, or poor receiption if he's not holding on to the antenna. But every night (around 9pm) he gets a station from Rochester "the buzz" clear as a bell. He asked me how it is possible that our hometown stations don't come in, yet he can listen to another station so far away. Maybe someone can share the answer.
It is true. I live downtown Buffalo at the moment and I can hear it on certain occasions. I miss Rochester but loving the Western part of WNY.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY View Post
It is true. I live downtown Buffalo at the moment and I can hear it on certain occasions. I miss Rochester but loving the Western part of WNY.
Never having lived in Rochester, but knowing many who do and from visiting the area about once a year, they have some of the best radio stations.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:20 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
ninety-eight P X Y...Ro-ches-tERRRRRRRR!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:13 AM

260 posts, read 977,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed2 View Post
ninety-eight p x y...ro-ches-terrrrrrrr!
its rahhhhchester!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:29 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
yeah, that's how the rest of us pronounce it...but when 98 pxy has that little "chorus" before they go back on air, it's always broken up like that....ro-ches-terrrrrrrr!

Old 09-23-2008, 03:19 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
It all depends on signal strength.Usually the large stations broadcast with alot more power behind them and the smaller ones on a smaller scale thats why some stations you can hear from other states. Occasionally though if amplified by the station even on a smaller scale you can get lucky and pick it up. Also if no other channels being used around it.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:04 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,046 times
Signal strength, weather conditions and your radio and the radios antenna all influence how far you can receive a station. Once in awhile I can pick up 106.5 from Buffalo RD on the west side of Rochester.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:53 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,428,585 times
About 5 years ago, when I worked near Elbridge, I could pick up a good mix radio station out of Rochester in my car (forgot the name). As soon you hit Camillus the sound starts fading in and out. By the time you hit the Town of Clay...it's gone...nothing at all. So, Elbridge westard is where you can start picking up Rochester radio over here on the eastern front.

The strange thing was, if you head into Cicero, on the same exact channel we got out of Rochester, you can start picking up a decent radio station out of Utica.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:18 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
It's WPXY 98.7 out of Rochester and the Utica station is Kiss FM also on 98.7. It's also on 105.5 out of Little Falls. Actually, the stations kind of "fight" each other around the Liverpool/Clay/Salina area, because when I lived there, you could get both, depending on where you were in that area. Sometimes you can get the Border 106.7 out of Watertown/Ogdensburg in the Northern Suburbs and other parts of Syracuse too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area