Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,489 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a couple of houses in the northeast corner of the 19th ward (Hancock st, Sherwood Ave, Post Ave, and Chili Ave to be specific) and I've heard so many different things about that area... Can anyone give me any insight? I've always lived in the suburbs with my parents, so this is a big change... Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,637 times
You know what would be nice, if a few of us took the Rochester neighborhood map and colored in what areas are good/bad. Maybe a green, yellow, red. Green being the best, red the worst.

For your question, that is an area I am not too familiar with. I have heard mixed things also about the streets around chili ave.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:43 AM

161 posts, read 489,382 times
I lived in the western suburbs and now live in the 19th ward. Please note that all of the 19th ward is not bad, there are many nice, quiet, tree-lined streets. Look for streets that have single-family, owner-occupied homes, those are the most stable w/many long time residents. Please drive around at night to see how quiet they are, that's what I did before I bought mine.

I am w/i walking distance of that area and suggest that you look south of Arnett Blvd. On the corner of Chili Ave and Thurston Rd, there is a blue police camera there, so it is bad there. There are mostly rentals in that area as well. Granted, all renters are not bad but I would stay away from streets that have mostly renters on it, no matter what area of the city.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
You know what would be nice, if a few of us took the Rochester neighborhood map and colored in what areas are good/bad. Maybe a green, yellow, red. Green being the best, red the worst.
The thing is, it's tough because I know that the 19th Ward is so patchy. One second it's really nice, turn the corner and you're in a slum.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:35 PM

504 posts, read 1,494,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjchealy View Post
We're looking at a couple of houses in the northeast corner of the 19th ward (Hancock st, Sherwood Ave, Post Ave, and Chili Ave to be specific) and I've heard so many different things about that area... Can anyone give me any insight? I've always lived in the suburbs with my parents, so this is a big change... Help!
not for transplants fresh from the suburbs, I think. live a year or so in a wealthier area of the city before you give that part of the 19th ward a try.

on the other hand if you're young people and you're self-reliant you might do just fine.

Last edited by mycrows; 06-27-2009 at 10:47 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 03:44 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,450,728 times
Post Ave. is hit and miss. Jogging my memory a bit, I seem to remember Post AWAY from the intersection with Brooks is OK, in spots (south of Brooks), although you won't get much on re-sale if you're buying a house over there.

There are parts of the 19th Ward which hang on in the area of Genesee Park Blvd., especially WEST of that street, between Genesee Park and the canal. We know some folks who live over there, in fact, my father and his gf live in that general area. Most noise they hear is from the airport. There are many nice single family rental properties in the area, too, with stable folks of all ages (many students, too). Most of the 19th Ward was built from 1900-1925 or so, so you'll find the typical hardwoods, gumwood trim, etc., just keep an eye out for updates to electrical and whatnot (3 prong outlets, more than one in a room, etc.).

Only thing is if you're anywhere in the 19th Ward you're kinda isolated, especially when it comes to retail/shopping choices. Brooks-Chili Wegmans closed, a while back, and off the top of my head I can't think of much in the way of shopping near to there. Tops is over on S. Clinton in Brighton. Lyell Ave. Wegmans is only a couple of miles away, as well as Aldi's, etc.

Good luck.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:43 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
There isn't much shopping in the area, true, but it's also right on the Scottsville Rd. exit of 390, so you can hop on and be at Wegmans Henrietta or Marketplace Mall in ~10 minutes.
I lived in the UR dorms on S. Plymouth Ave. last year (and next year) and the proximity to 390 was a huge plus. My job was on Jefferson Rd. in Henrietta so it was great to have 390 there.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:03 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
There isn't much shopping in the area, true, but it's also right on the Scottsville Rd. exit of 390, so you can hop on and be at Wegmans Henrietta or Marketplace Mall in ~10 minutes.
I lived in the UR dorms on S. Plymouth Ave. last year (and next year) and the proximity to 390 was a huge plus. My job was on Jefferson Rd. in Henrietta so it was great to have 390 there.
There isn't much for food shopping, but if I remember right, there is a Walmart and a Staples across the street, over across Howard rd there is a RadioShack, Gamestop and a couple other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area