Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:42 AM

6 posts, read 6,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
As far as specifics go, I am not exactly sure. I am more familiar with the types of degrees. I deal with a lot of ME and EE degrees. When they get into specifics and job titles (which are generic at times and don't explain much), I kinda zone off since I find that talk to be boring. I work with places that have federal contracts and am only familiar the people, not the details of their work.
I will say that I deal with more people that are in the earlier stages of their career as far as new hires go. It sounds like your husband is already well into his career. From what I've seen, its harder for a person with several decades of experience due to the large talent pool of experienced workers.
Of course it's more difficult when you have experience....they don't want to pay the salaries in Rochester when they have so many educated people out of work who will take the job for $40k per year. This sort of underemployment has ruined the economy in this area and I doubt it will ever come back. When educated, experienced people get laid off from Xerox, Kodak, etc and stay in the area, accepting jobs in the $40k range, that just puts others into a lower pay scale bracket.

I actually saw a job posting just recently for an executive assistant that wanted a candidate with 7 years experience, a bachelor degree, 'must dress impeccably', have experience dealing with upper level management, etc. I scroll down to the compensation...$10 - $12 per hour. HAHAHAHA!! I can't pay rent or buy food with that salary, let alone "dress impeccably".

That job would easily pay about $45-$60k elsewhere and where I live in the Rochester area, rents are in the $1000 a month range so the old excuse always used by Rochester area natives that the cost of living is cheaper, that's why the pay is less, doesn't fly with me. Even when I owned my home, the taxes ate up whatever difference in monthly payments I may have enjoyed due to the lower home prices here versus a larger metropolitan area in another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
But a grocery store is not the highlight of the city.
Yes it is. Every time I have someone visit me from out of the area the first thing I am asked by most people is if I "took them to Wegman's".

Old 09-25-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
But a grocery store is not the highlight of the city.
Quote:
The thread title is not true. I am traveling several months out of the year for work and very few people have not heard of Rochester NY. I am actually in MA a lot for work (Boston metro area) and I haven't really run into people who haven't heard of Rochester when I tell them I"m from there. I do have to specify sometimes since there is more than one city with the same name. I don't think the issue is people not hearing of it... its more of an issue of which Rochester you are talking about , depending on which area of the country you are in.
I have totally disagreed with most of your posts. You must be a Rochester native that believes this area is something it is not and really do not look at it realistically. Maybe you need to live somewhere else for awhile to see how bad it actually is here. Working in other areas is not the same as living there and I have lived MANY places. Even Cleveland was better than Rochester.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Great points and the statements about Upstate NY "dying" is more towards certain counties, but there are counties that have been growing for decades, slowly, but surely. People get caught up on a county or some towns and cities, but don't realize that some cities and counties have gained population in Upstate NY. Like I've mentioned before, Monroe County has only had 1 census where it hasn't gained people(1980) and that loss was small(about 1.5% or so). So, some people need to do some research before they say things are a certain way.
Monroe County also has the highest welfare rolls and expenditures in New York state and that number increases each year so tell me, why do you think the population is increasing? Do YOUR research....the population increase is not due to some booming economy here.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Though Kodak and Xerox have shrunk, Rochester is still known for its industries, especially if you work as some sort of engineer. I travel to many cities out of state for work at such places as Lockheed Martin, Harris corporation, Raytheon, General Dynamics, Pratt & Whitney, (I could go on). When conversations come up about where I came from, I get a comment about how "snowy it is by the lake". Now if nobody knew where Rochester was, how would they know about the notorious amount of snow we get?

Only the engineering community is familiar with Rochester, that's why you experience recognition; you work in that field. Not many people even know about the industries that were here. As far as the snowfall....are you serious? Almost everyone out of state associates the heavy snowfalls in western New York with Buffalo. They are surprised to hear that Syracuse actually has more snowfall, on average. Nobody thinks of Rochester.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:56 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH1026 View Post
Only the engineering community is familiar with Rochester, that's why you experience recognition; you work in that field. Not many people even know about the industries that were here. As far as the snowfall....are you serious? Almost everyone out of state associates the heavy snowfalls in western New York with Buffalo. They are surprised to hear that Syracuse actually has more snowfall, on average. Nobody thinks of Rochester.
That is just false. For one, I do not work in the engineering field. I work in a field that deals with many engineers. I also deal with colleges, IT people, and government agencies. It is more than engineers who know about the area.
You also may want to re read my posts. I never said when you think snow, you think Rochester. I stated that when I mention I'm from Rochester, people think snow. Big difference.
Also, I have lived in other places other than Rochester.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:03 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Lest not forget the music industry....
One of the top 10 ranked schools for music - Eastman School of Music.
Chuck Mangione = Rochester, NY

Answers.com - What are the top ten music schools in the US

[SIZE=4]Eastman School of Music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/SIZE]
Eastman was named the "Hottest School for Music" in the US by the ... and the Jacobs School of Music of Indiana University among the top graduate programs in music. .... School and society, Volume 10 By Society for the Advancement of ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastman_School_of_Music

Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
Well at least Rochester is known for good schools that groom students for work and success outside of Rochester

Old 09-27-2010, 02:00 PM

233 posts, read 685,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Well at least Rochester is known for good schools that groom students for work and success outside of Rochester
Hey, that's a sweeping generalization. Cut it out.

Some grads find success in the area - why that obvious facet has to be mentioned in every counter-argument is beyond me.

Garmin: With regards to what you said about the people you've met knowing about Rochester in the engineering/tech community - isn't that just personal anecdote? Yes. Nothing wrong with that. But when people mention negative experiences they've had within Rochester, you pass them off as "isolated incidents". Why the double standard? It's an honest question.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:07 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
Hey, that's a sweeping generalization. Cut it out.

Some grads find success in the area - why that obvious facet has to be mentioned in every counter-argument is beyond me.

Garmin: With regards to what you said about the people you've met knowing about Rochester in the engineering/tech community - isn't that just personal anecdote? Yes. Nothing wrong with that. But when people mention negative experiences they've had within Rochester, you pass them off as "isolated incidents". Why the double standard? It's an honest question.
It's not a double standard. I do not make blanket statements as others do. I never said that EVERYBODY knows about the area. I never made a statement such as "When I work out of state, people at company x know about the area, therefore everybody knows about the area". I am simply stating my experiences to show that people do know the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area