Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:14 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,061 times

Advertisements

I'm fixated?! Did you read his post at all or just jump to Rochester's defense? Have you been to the Northwest? My point to all of this is what someone out there thinks is outdoors and what WNYers thinks is outdoors is not going to be the same. Some of you need to quit being so defensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 02:57 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
I clearly stated in another post that I said that the mountains in this area don't compare to the NW so I"m not jumping to any defense. I am simply stating that there are plenty of outdoor activities here that don't have to do with mountains, no matter where you are from. I have been out there before and the mountains are amazing.
The person listed several things they were into and you can find them here, minus great mountains.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM

yes, despite the fact that I stated that the mountains here don't compare.... and despite the fact that on this site I have bashed local politicians, schools, unions and taxes among other things. Sounds really COC to me.
I never once said that the area was "perfect" for these things. just because a place isn't the end all of everything does not mean its the worst. There is this thing called middle ground.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:56 PM

200 posts, read 604,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I never once said that the area was "perfect" for these things. just because a place isn't the end all of everything does not mean its the worst. There is this thing called middle ground.
Right on! Hunting, skiing, kayaking, biking, beaches, and hiking and camping around Letchworth isn't exactly taking a Sherpa guided expedition up K-2, but it probably qualifies as the outdoors. Besides, the OP didn't say that he wanted new challenges - he was looking more for places to get away. There are some things the Rochester area might not have, but there are plenty of places to get away. He mentioned mountains a few times. He also mentioned that though he's lived in Juneau and Oregon, he's now coming from Minnesota and loves the outdoors there. The highest peak they have in the whole state is probably comparable to something you'd find in the Appalachian foothills about an hour south of the city, so I'm not sure he's just looking for mountains.

Last edited by aaron4040; 12-30-2009 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: I like making sense, and if something doesn't, I like to make it so it does.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:30 AM

You all are right Rochester is an outdoorsman's paradise! He/She will love it! Alaska, Oregon and Minnesota have nothing on Rochester, He/She will feel like they've died and gone to heaven!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:35 AM

I see that you keep ignoring that there is a middle ground and jump to extreme exaggerations

Old 12-31-2009, 11:39 AM

87 posts, read 106,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
You all are right Rochester is an outdoorsman's paradise! He/She will love it! Alaska, Oregon and Minnesota have nothing on Rochester, He/She will feel like they've died and gone to heaven!

Certainly they have nothing as lovely as the Barge Canal in those other places, the pristine water, fresh sea breeze that wafts from its surface. No other state has locks either. And Mendon Ponds is such a rare gem they most certainly will find nothing like it in those inferior states.

They will be amazed at the trout hatchery at Powder Mill Park. And dont forget Lollypop Farm, home to exotic wild creatures found only in NY State.

My personal favorite is the river trail that one can access through the woods at the bottom of Chapel Hill in Irondequoit that takes you all the way to Lake Ontario.

Last edited by Conrad231; 12-31-2009 at 12:22 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Finally! Now you're starting to make sense
Welcome aboard (high five) Now, if we can convince everyone that the OP was a genius for even asking, we will FINALLY get somewhere.
OK, lets be serious for a sec: who said Rochester was better than those places? If you find where that was stated, there is this cool little button you can hit to the lower right of the post that you can click on, quote the offending post, and say "aha! gotcha!" But I don't see that anywhere in this thread. It would be cool of you to point that out for me. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:14 PM

I said it. If people are going to make the ridiculous argument that Rochester is even slightly comparable to Alaska and Oregon for outdoor activities I might as well lie too. If someone said they wanted to relocate from Paris and asked how the food was you would probably start rambling off local french restaurants.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I said it. If people are going to make the ridiculous argument that Rochester is even slightly comparable to Alaska and Oregon for outdoor activities I might as well lie too. If someone said they wanted to relocate from Paris and asked how the food was you would probably start rambling off local french restaurants.
No, I would tell them about chicken french. And the OP asked our opinions on what there was to do outdoors in WNY. We told him.

Last edited by aaron4040; 12-31-2009 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area