Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times

Advertisements

As I aged, driving at night became too difficult. All cars appear to me to have their high beams on, but in reality I have what is called night blindness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 06:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
As I aged, driving at night became too difficult. All cars appear to me to have their high beams on, but in reality I have what is called night blindness.
I have the same thing. I just don't drive at night.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:02 PM

210 posts, read 402,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graytabbie View Post
I recently moved from rural Missouri. I used my brights driving in the dark to try to avoid deer and other wildlife. The flick of the brights to people who have "forgotten" usually worked. What I hated was driving to work at 4:30 AM with a truck on my rear with the brights on! This happened several times. How I wished for rear-tail light brights to flash at him/her, or something better (a la James Bond!).
I also go in a the same time and always seem to get a p-up behind me tailgating with those halogen lights, but I found i can adjust my drivers side mirror to the point where it will reflect the brights back at them if they get too close for c0mfort, say 100 ft behind or so, it works and i have yet in the past two yrs had anyone act aggressively from this evidently the realize what the lights do right behind some one.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:58 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Too many deer are part of the problem. Run over a Bambi and you're liable to
be out several grand, plus the use of your car for a while. I think the deer
population needs to be thinned back to what it was 40 years ago.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:15 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack3902 View Post
I also go in a the same time and always seem to get a p-up behind me tailgating with those halogen lights, but I found i can adjust my drivers side mirror to the point where it will reflect the brights back at them if they get too close for c0mfort, say 100 ft behind or so, it works and i have yet in the past two yrs had anyone act aggressively from this evidently the realize what the lights do right behind some one.
How are you able to adjust your mirror to reflect the lights back? There are times when I would LOVE to do that!

Old 11-29-2010, 05:17 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I HATE those Halogen lights.
I am totally and completely blinded by them. Also, we had a service station install them as outside lights and they had to be taken down as they blinded the motorists at night. Same with a car wash that had installed them. It was terrible to come up on them at night and they were so big, you couldn't avert your eyes enough without it being a hazard.

I know many people who are blinded by them and I read where the DOT had had thousands of complaints about them.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:39 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,266 times
I have never had a problem with headlights. People have always had the common courtesy of switching to low beams when another car is approaching around here

If the other car forgets, a quick flip of the high beams usually wakes them up.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
The roads I take to and from my office don't have streetlights. Somehow *I* manage to navigate them with my normal headlights, but now that I do more night driving, I'm discovering a really weird phenomenon:

People using their high beams at night. Most of the people seem to be unable to see my car approaching and forget to turn their high beams off for at least a few seconds. As a result, I am temporarily blinded by at least 3 cars per night.

Lately, I have decided to turn MY high beams on if a car approaches me with his/her high beams lit to teach the driver a lesson. Cuz I'm mean. But what gives? Why can't these people drive at night without high beams?
Proably alot of people like you reacting to a few that has become a revenge trend;is my guess.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
out here on the plains, we have to be careful flicking our lights because the police out here will drive with their brights on and when we come up on them and flick our lights at them attempting to get them to go to low beams they consider that reason to stop you so they can give you the DUI test and have the dogs search your car-- that how they work in Eastern SD (happen to me 2x in the last 6months) really pisses them off cause I am sober
I wonder if that isn't an urban (rural) myth. The story around here about cops and lights is that the cops sometimes drive with their high beams on and if the oncoming driver doesn't flash his or her lights in a timely and prudent manner, the cops will then start wondering if they are impaired and pull them over.

I guess there is no way of knowing without getting it from the horse's mouth.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:12 PM

697 posts, read 1,281,615 times
you will never get the truth from a cop at least not out here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living