Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times

Advertisements

Not the last thing to look for is "homestead exemption" protecting your residence and mini farmstead in the case of a bankruptcy. These days it may take just 3 days in a hospital to become thoroughly bankrupt. From what I know, Texas and Florida are the most protective, no matter the size of your residence & lot, creditors can't touch it. Ohio is one of the least protective. $20,000 is all you can claim after your dream farmette is auctioned off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM

633 posts, read 1,950,505 times
I'm putting my plug in for New York State. Schoharie county is under valued these days and I believe you can find a bargain.

I have property in Otsego but schoharie is closer to the albany airport both are great.

Good Luck

Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
I'm putting my plug in for New York State. Schoharie county is under valued these days and I believe you can find a bargain.

I have property in Otsego but schoharie is closer to the albany airport both are great.

Good Luck
Yeah, if you can stand the piles of snow and the freezing cold long winters, it is great.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
There are inexpensive farm leases available in our area, although you can't build a house and live on them but you can live in the nearby town and work the farm so you sort of have the best of both worlds. Deep soil, adequate rainfall with irrigation water as well, farmer's markets nearby and you can grow year round.

Farm lease land in Hawaii http://www.knowyourfarmeralliance.co...-hamakua-coast

No snow!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Yeah, if you can stand the piles of snow and the freezing cold long winters, it is great.
Smyrna, NY, if I win a lottery, here I come, gorgeous landscapes, pleasant climate, sparsely populated, clear river waters, mature forests, plenty of public access. Unfortunately, if you didn't win lottery yet, NY state should be the last place on your destination list, taxes, prices, long commutes, less than stellar income for your average wage unit, did I mention taxes?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 PM

26 posts, read 50,376 times
Stay away from the corn belt or even mini-corn belts. A record corn harvest has put a lot of money in farmers' pockets. They can't make much money investing it, so they are buying land with cash and prices are going through the roof. Land around here (northeast Nebraska) has gone as much as $5,500 an acre for dry-land (non-irrigated) and for over $7,500 an acre for irrigated. This is land that a few years ago sold for $1,500 and 2,000 an acre respectively.

There are some great spots in Michigan. Look there. Stay along the west side along Lake Michigan and you'll have moderate temps, lots of snow (and they know how to move it) and very nice summers. You can get some good prices right now.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:14 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Have you considered Missouri? The winters aren't as harsh as Iowa if you are in the Southern 2/3rds of the state, we have an amazing variety of topography from plains, to wetlands to rolling hills to the Ozark mountains. Land is generally reasonable in price. A number of areas would get you close to a large or medium sized city (Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbia, Springfield, Jefferson City).

Connect With Missouri's Agriculture - AgriMissouri and AgriTourism
I farm in Colorado, but I have a friend who lives and farms in Missouri. She say's it's great land and very fertile.

I've heard that certain areas of Tennessee are also very good! Around Tiptonville.

Good luck because it's not an easy life.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:05 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I'm not super familiar but I think Charlottesville is sort of small? Not sure where your market would be unless you mean just local farmer's market vs. next big city over bigger farmers market.
One thing about VA and going further south - more ticks. Seems like I get more ticks everywhere I go these days but I've talked to some Virginians and I got the impression that there are a lot of ticks.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:42 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
The southern part of the Willamette Valley in Oregon, even if you have a "black thumb" you can grow anything.

Long growing season, mild winters, but 4 seasons.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:41 PM

229 posts, read 439,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm not super familiar but I think Charlottesville is sort of small? Not sure where your market would be unless you mean just local farmer's market vs. next big city over bigger farmers market.
One thing about VA and going further south - more ticks. Seems like I get more ticks everywhere I go these days but I've talked to some Virginians and I got the impression that there are a lot of ticks.
I'm not a doctor, but I think part of avoiding bugs wherever you are can be controlled with diet. I use lots of onion and garlic during the outdoor months and have very little problem with small insects wanting to suck my blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living