Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Thanks for the reply's and for the link! I spoke with a local driller and he felt very confident that a new well would produce better than 1/3 GPM. Neighboring properties are between 3 and 5 GPM. We are requesting that the seller drill a new well before moving forward. And if need be install a cistern in the house.
What size casing???

Don't go smaller than a 6".

The water in the casing is storage too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
We have a well (not working as the driller won't fix it) that when it worked was pumping 5gpm and it is 805 ft deep.
We have a 4000 gal storage tank and I haul water to it.

Do you have a storage tank, I would put one in. Do you have a pressure tank and pump? Would need if you have a storage tank.

Be sure and check with different drillers and find someone who is "honest, reputable, and has lots of experience".

Good luck.

HW

Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
You might want to consider testing the plumbing in the house before (possibly) increasing the pressure on the system. You might develop a leak somewhere with the added pressure. I am on a well and would like to have more pressure/flow but that is always in the back of my mind.
Thanks, I will put that question to my house inspection guy. It's a log house so accessing plumbing if there was a leak would be a nightmare.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
We have a well (not working as the driller won't fix it) that when it worked was pumping 5gpm and it is 805 ft deep.
We have a 4000 gal storage tank and I haul water to it.

Do you have a storage tank, I would put one in. Do you have a pressure tank and pump? Would need if you have a storage tank.

Be sure and check with different drillers and find someone who is "honest, reputable, and has lots of experience".

Good luck.

HW
There is an existing 420ft well/cistern/pump/pressure tank system that is a mess - frozen lines and cistern. It's not to code and was not designed correctly at least if you want to use it year round. It was probably OK for the 600sqft summer cabin it was designed for.

Why anyone would put up a large log house and not sort out the water is beyond me.

Hearing of your 800ft well that doesn't work is reassurance that I need to be on the ball every step of the way.

A 4,000 gal water tank sounds more like a swimming pool.

We asked about trucking in water, but storing and heating that amount of water gets expensive in this rocky mountain climate.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
There is an existing 420ft well/cistern/pump/pressure tank system that is a mess - frozen lines and cistern. It's not to code and was not designed correctly at least if you want to use it year round. It was probably OK for the 600sqft summer cabin it was designed for.

Why anyone would put up a large log house and not sort out the water is beyond me.

Hearing of your 800ft well that doesn't work is reassurance that I need to be on the ball every step of the way.

A 4,000 gal water tank sounds more like a swimming pool.

We asked about trucking in water, but storing and heating that amount of water gets expensive in this rocky mountain climate.
Make sure when you drill the new well the driller abandons the old well.

It will cost more now, but save you in the long run.

Talk to your local health department about finding a driller.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Make sure when you drill the new well the driller abandons the old well.

It will cost more now, but save you in the long run.

Talk to your local health department about finding a driller.

Thanks and I forgot to answer your question before - the quote we got was for a 6" casing.

We have to abandon the old well as it is only 100ft from one of the septic systems and the local code now calls for 200ft.

Good new is that the sellers are willing to drill a new well, so we can go ahead with the outstanding inspections for the septic and roof.

It's a lot of work to buy a house - I can't imagine how stressful it would be to build one.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Hmmm... I think to pass inspection, it is 1 gal per min is the minimum acceptable rate for many states.

My MIL gets about 3-5 GPM as well, while mine is at 10 GPM. We do have a pretty big creek at the bottom of the hill and the inspector did say we have good ground water that if there is a drought... that ground water should last us a year or 2 no problem.

The more GPM the merrier I think.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Hmmm... I think to pass inspection, it is 1 gal per min is the minimum acceptable rate for many states.

My MIL gets about 3-5 GPM as well, while mine is at 10 GPM. We do have a pretty big creek at the bottom of the hill and the inspector did say we have good ground water that if there is a drought... that ground water should last us a year or 2 no problem.

The more GPM the merrier I think.
Some places the water just isn't there.

In my area many wells produces over 100 GPM.

That being said.....rarely does any one put a pump in that size.

10 t0 15 GPM is common.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply's and for the link! I spoke with a local driller and he felt very confident that a new well would produce better than 1/3 GPM. Neighboring properties are between 3 and 5 GPM. We are requesting that the seller drill a new well before moving forward. And if need be install a cistern in the house.

I would suggest negotiating escrowed funds at closing to meet/exceed your bids so that you get to choose the driller and cistern and that everything is done to your satisfaction and not just what the Seller deems "as good as".

Old 03-04-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I would suggest negotiating escrowed funds at closing to meet/exceed your bids so that you get to choose the driller and cistern and that everything is done to your satisfaction and not just what the Seller deems "as good as".
In Michigan the county health department will see the system is right.

I hope the OP talks to their local health department first.

Covering the business end is a great idea!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living