Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 PM

195 posts, read 657,851 times

Advertisements

Hi, I always wondered how people who live in small towns make livings? I'm from a good sized city, so I just thought I'd ask out of curiosity. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:46 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfmccoy View Post
Hi, I always wondered how people who live in small towns make livings? I'm from a good sized city, so I just thought I'd ask out of curiosity. Thank you!
I've often asked myself the same question having had to work in several major U.S. cities and having always secretly wanted to live and work in a small town. Now retired, I have a house in a small west Texas town, and I get to spend much of my time away from Albuquerque (my primary home). Beyond the few small business owners and their few employees, most jobs in this small town seem to be tied to agriculture, e.g., production and harvesting, as well as the storage, transport and sales of agricultural products. Many of these jobs are seasonal so I don't know what these folks do in the off season. I do know the best time of the year to sell a big ticket item like a car or one of my restored tractors is after the first of the year when tax rebates are being received. That tells me many of these folks have no savings whatsoever and the only time they have a significant amount of cash in their pocket is at tax rebate time. They live hand to mouth and paycheck to paycheck. As a younger person, I was just not willing to pay that sort of price for the solitude of rural living. A retirement annuity now provides me with more options.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:51 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Same as people in big cities for the most part. We have CPA's, Doctors, Lawyers, Electricians, Plumbers, Nurses, Pharmacists, Neurosurgeons, Mechanics, Police, Firemen, Schoolteachers, etc.... Any job that is needed in a big city is in evidence in small towns also. Sometimes those with very highly specialized jobs drive a little distance for work, but every job I can think of in large Urban areas is also held by someone in a small town as well. (Two cousins are married to robotics engineers and neither live in towns over 10,000)

The major difference is size of things. Our cubicle farms are 100 people not 1000 or larger. Our hospitals are 20-100 beds, not 700+, but they still offer full range services. We don't have the population so we couldn't support huge facilities with hundreds or thousands of employees. We have all the services generally, but employ a couple of people is all in them. Some of the items you use and see everyday come from small towns that are jobs not even offered in large cities.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,826 times
Quote:
Uhhh...we work. At jobs. For employers. Or own businesses and work for ourselves. We sell things. We make things. We provide services to each other. Yes, there is business in places other than big cities!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 18,242 times
A small town is a whole society, the same as big city.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:17 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Some of us commute to cities. I commute 45 miles a day, but to me its worth it to live where I live. I could also take the train into Newark or New York from where I live.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:54 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
I drill water wells.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:21 AM

43 posts, read 88,914 times
I work as Credit Manager for a lumber company and part time as a dispatcher for a local police department

Old 09-25-2008, 08:04 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
I grew up in a small town. Well, it was actually a college town. My dad was VP of a computer company based in the town (this was long before computers were a part of the average home).

Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 AM

485 posts, read 1,839,892 times
Look in the yellow pages of the community in question and that will give you a good idea. So many jobs today are for small companies doing retail or service work. Of course there is always banks, schools, hospitals, and the long commute to the nearest employment center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living