Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 01:23 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The church thing may or may not be an issue, depending on the community. I've certainly lived in small towns where the churches had as hard a time filling pews as anywhere else. My experience is that while most people in smaller communities may nominally identify as Christian, regular churchgoing isn't necessarily the given you'd think. Again, this is very specific to the individual culture of a given area.
Many "Christians" are affiliated with a church for mostly social reasons, not because they are devout. It's the "thing to do" and to not go just raises questions. So you go and mouth the words and follow along...but it's because the people you work with and your wife's kin are all there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:37 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Don't tell everyone your business and do not brag about what you have.
Very important! When I retired and moved to a small town in UT when someone asked me where I used to work I would say, "you don't want to know." And that included everyone, with a badge or without.

Eventually, I made friends with many of the local police, sheriff deputies and even the sheriff, who left office after I lived there for a few years. His replacement was a jerk, so I ruled him out as a friend or even an acquaintance.

As for politics, keep any stickers off your vehicle, but that is true for anyplace anymore. Seems some people like to damage vehicles of those they don't support.

As for religion, since I am about as religious as a rock, it was easy for me. However, since I was in UT, the Mormons tried but never succeeded. But had many as friends by the time I moved. I found if you were honest with them, they pretty much left you alone.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:29 PM

343 posts, read 316,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayitbe2016 View Post
You, however, are free to leave.

Being from a small town ALL my life I will have to disagree here! Some small towns really are 'traps' for people who grow up here and/or move(back) here. Due to having a smaller population, source of income, and there is always the distance of nearby civilization makes it hard for anyone who wants to leave, permanently or temporarily. I also want to piggyback on what another commentor said about how if the people in town don't like you, it does create difficulty getting a job..which can be another negative affect.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:29 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post
Being from a small town ALL my life I will have to disagree here! Some small towns really are 'traps' for people who grow up here and/or move(back) here. Due to having a smaller population, source of income, and there is always the distance of nearby civilization makes it hard for anyone who wants to leave, permanently or temporarily. I also want to piggyback on what another commentor said about how if the people in town don't like you, it does create difficulty getting a job..which can be another negative affect.
I can attest to this as this is what is keeping me trapped in my hometown. Despite having the Internet, most people who haven't tried it don't realize how difficult it is to find a job in a market where you don't live. Let's say you are 180 miles from the nearest metro area. If you apply for jobs there, most employers will simply throw out your resume without giving it any consideration since you are considered a non-local applicant. You pretty much have to save money and just move if you really want to leave. If you don't do that, there sometimes isn't very many easy ways out of small towns.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:11 PM

554 posts, read 745,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I can attest to this as this is what is keeping me trapped in my hometown. <SNIP!>
You pretty much have to save money and just move if you really want to leave. If you don't do that, there sometimes isn't very many easy ways out of small towns.
... So, I guess "things" haven't changed a whole lot in the nearly-50 years since I moved the whole Family from NE-USA to TEXAS.
Back "in the day", I was flat-out told that I needed to be in town, in order to get a job. Of course, that was before the Internet; all the letter-writing in the world didn't do any good.
My point is: You do what you gotta do, when you want to be, or go, somewhere-else. No one's gonna send a limo for ya!

Old 03-02-2016, 07:32 PM

387 posts, read 515,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Very important! When I retired and moved to a small town in UT when someone asked me where I used to work I would say, "you don't want to know." And that included everyone, with a badge or without.

Eventually, I made friends with many of the local police, sheriff deputies and even the sheriff, who left office after I lived there for a few years. His replacement was a jerk, so I ruled him out as a friend or even an acquaintance.

As for politics, keep any stickers off your vehicle, but that is true for anyplace anymore. Seems some people like to damage vehicles of those they don't support.

As for religion, since I am about as religious as a rock, it was easy for me. However, since I was in UT, the Mormons tried but never succeeded. But had many as friends by the time I moved. I found if you were honest with them, they pretty much left you alone.
Great point about political bumper stickers. You would likely alienate someone no matter who you supported.I know my neighbors removed their Hope & Change stickers shortly after the election but the die was cast. Low key and friendly is a good start. Patronize the local establishments, also as someone mentioned donating to the local firehouse is smart. The fireman volunteer in small towns,go to village meeting,show interest and people will take notice.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:22 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Put up a fence & lock the gate.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
In New England most of us avoid discussing religion and how much money we make.

finding the "breakfast spot" is a great idea. My wife and I do that when we are visiting anyplace for a couple of days. Last time we were in New Mexico we found out more about Truth or Consequences politics than we could ever imagine just by listening, not eavesdropping as these guys were loud, to the locals set up their days in the local café.

Friendly introverts kind of describes us Yankees.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:05 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
Great point about political bumper stickers. You would likely alienate someone no matter who you supported.I know my neighbors removed their Hope & Change stickers shortly after the election but the die was cast. Low key and friendly is a good start. Patronize the local establishments, also as someone mentioned donating to the local firehouse is smart. The fireman volunteer in small towns,go to village meeting,show interest and people will take notice.

I had to laugh at the sentence about the "Hope and Change" bumper stickers. Around here, that would be an invitation to vandalize the vehicle (not that anyone would necessarily do it, but they'd probably fantasize a LOT about it). Obama is almost out of office, but he's hated even more than when he entered it. We have been seeing "Trump" signs erupting all over the place, like dandelions. If you are a transplant to the area, and plan on putting a "Hillary" sign on your lawn...well, you're going to have to replace it a LOT.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Another triumph of the MOB over the individual right to speak freely. Just because someone disagrees politically does not give anyone the right to use force or vandalize property. That is not characteristic of a free country but of a insecure mob.

This is New Hampshire there are all manner of political signs. We do not, except for a very few isolated incidents by some of our over age children, tear up these signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living