Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 10:12 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
........"small town living "..

Happens just as much there as in a suburb.

Fair enough. There are new devlopments being built in small towns, and the houses are close together. People want to live "rural" and have a bunch of vehicles but there isn't enough room. One of those places with hoa a few towns over would not even allow a man park his work truck in the driveway. This is in a small blue collar type town. Also those homes had a lot of burglaries, so small town suburban type living does not always work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 01:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What does this have to do with rural and small town living? It sounds like a suburban and city issue.
A lot of people consider their suburbs to be "small towns."

Old 03-30-2017, 02:27 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A lot of people consider their suburbs to be "small towns."
LOL, I live in Oxnard CA, population 207,000 or so people. We are about 50 miles from Los Angeles on the outer part of the LA Metro statistical area. Oxnard is an Agricultural community. If you are eating a strawberry or like Peanut Butter and jelly and if that jelly is strawberry chances are it came from Oxnard.

You can still find people in the LA area that think Oxnard is a small town.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:47 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
LOL, I live in Oxnard CA, population 207,000 or so people. We are about 50 miles from Los Angeles on the outer part of the LA Metro statistical area. Oxnard is an Agricultural community. If you are eating a strawberry or like Peanut Butter and jelly and if that jelly is strawberry chances are it came from Oxnard.

207,000 people is about 200,000 more people than I'd consider a small town, but I suppose compared to LA itself.......

Old 03-30-2017, 06:34 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Street parking is a crap situation all the way around. I am glad to live in the country, real country. My neighbors on each side have several cars, as we do - all are parked in our driveways and garages, I can hardly see theirs, they can hardly see mine. Unless they let one roll through my fence, I am perfectly cool with whatever they want to do.

Long ago I lived in a subdivision and put my better cars in the garage, left my old, ragged air cooled VW Baja bug out on the street. Out in front of my own house. Some old biddy decided to complain, I got a call. OK, fine, it has not moved for a week, I'll move it then. Early Sunday morning, I fired it up (header with glass pack) and made it a point to warm it up damn good, then cut a couple of "hot laps" around the neighborhood in the snow. Mostly running about 4000 RPM.

Oddly enough, I never got another call the whole time I lived there.
Gee, really proud of your macho rudeness, aren't you? There are generally rules about noise on early Sunday mornings. Where I live, noise ordinances are enforced with a knock on the door by your local officer. The complaint could come from any neighbor within earshot of you, not just the one you're mad at. The officer might be patrolling your area, too.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:11 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Gee, really proud of your macho rudeness, aren't you? There are generally rules about noise on early Sunday mornings. Where I live, noise ordinances are enforced with a knock on the door by your local officer. The complaint could come from any neighbor within earshot of you, not just the one you're mad at. The officer might be patrolling your area, too.

Or neighbors could do what they use to do and come talk to you about it. Not dispute in the world has to involve the police.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:20 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Street parking is a crap situation all the way around. I am glad to live in the country, real country. My neighbors on each side have several cars, as we do - all are parked in our driveways and garages, I can hardly see theirs, they can hardly see mine. Unless they let one roll through my fence, I am perfectly cool with whatever they want to do.

Long ago I lived in a subdivision and put my better cars in the garage, left my old, ragged air cooled VW Baja bug out on the street. Out in front of my own house. Some old biddy decided to complain, I got a call. OK, fine, it has not moved for a week, I'll move it then. Early Sunday morning, I fired it up (header with glass pack) and made it a point to warm it up damn good, then cut a couple of "hot laps" around the neighborhood in the snow. Mostly running about 4000 RPM.

Oddly enough, I never got another call the whole time I lived there.
So you're the neighbor from hell. Congratulations! There's always one. So yes one of your neighbors complained, but why punish everyone? That doesn't make any sense and makes you look incredibly immature. Not sure which has the higher IQ - you or the Bug.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:27 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
This was in Idaho, where people like me and Papa Hemingway are at home, not the Bay Area, where, ahem, less hairy chested types abound.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:30 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
So you're the neighbor from hell. Congratulations! There's always one. So yes one of your neighbors complained, but why punish everyone? That doesn't make any sense and makes you look incredibly immature. Not sure which has the higher IQ - you or the Bug.
Mine has been documented as north of 136 (15 SD scale). How about you?

This was a one-time response to a biddy picking at me for not happening to move the Bug for a week. What can I say, it worked.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

You see it on here all the time where people try to cast their 100,000 population suburb of a multimillion pop. metro as a "small town," for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living