Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
If your well water tastes good, you can run an unfiltered line to your kitchen sink for drinking water. That is commonly done.
Hard water is usually much tastier than softened water. Then you take a large pitcher of cool water from that line for final rinse of your hair.
Yep. I much prefer the taste of well water to softened or municipally treated water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 03:07 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep. I much prefer the taste of well water to softened or municipally treated water.
I too also use unfiltered water from my wells. Excellent taste and no mineral deposits on the fixtures.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:09 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I wouldn't want well water today. Too many chemicals are leached in the water system. Harmful bacteria and amoeba exists. Has to be tested on a regular basis. Wells can get polluted with bacteria. With all the fracking and messing with the environment today, I just don't think it's a good idea...
That is totally dependent on where you locate yourself.

Many areas have no chemicals in the water. No bacteria. Testing should only need to be done once a decade.

A lot of areas have not allowed any fracking.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:25 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Ground water can be contaminated by all sorts of chemicals from local industries, some long gone. I don't even know if your average testing tests for some of them.

I was researching a property once in Michigan and ran into some article or paperwork on a bloom of some cancer causing chemical from a long closed paper mill being monitored and tracked by DEQ as it moved through the underground water systems. I bet half the people in the area didn't even know about it, the paper mill was long gone.

My parents were on a well. When I was in high school a local appliance factory closed and soon after we had to start drinking bottled water that they picked up at a drop off point that the company was required to pay for leave and there for a certain number of years because they caused the well water for our whole area to be contaminated by some carcinogen.
And get this, the water table was tested as part of their closing up shop. So who knows how long it was there? And...the company paid the testing company providing the report to the state off for a cover up. The only reason it came to light was someone blew the whistle.

The OP says they don't drink the water though so thats fine. Otherwise I would suggest an osmosis just for drinking and cooking. Otherwise I like the one suggestion about the splitter and taking filtered water into the shower for your hair. I did that when deployed to the mideast. Desalinated water was heck on hair too. Took a bottle into the shower with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living