Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:40 PM

431 posts, read 1,220,176 times

Advertisements

We have had well water for 2 years (East TN). Our property has no access to public water. It's been a learning experience. We have a water softener in the house due to it being extremely hard water.

Question....is there such a thing as water being to soft? Now it seems like soap never washes out of anything!

Also it's killing my hair as in either it strips all the natural oils out of it (hard water) OR leaves it feeling like the conditioner never rinses out.

Ideas? Is there a certain kind of salt that would be better for the water softener? We just use the kind at Lowes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 12:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I grew up with well water and a water softener, and my hair was basically terrible until I grew up and moved out. Even treated by a water softener, extremely hard water is just really rough on hair. My hair texture actually completely changed once I was no longer using hard water exclusively.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:59 PM

431 posts, read 1,220,176 times
I know. When we go on vacation my hair feels AMAZING again.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:04 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
It will also ruin your washer/appliances that use water and stain sinks, tubs, showers, tile...ugh!

I've heard osmosis is a better water treatment than salt based water softeners.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:15 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
I've lived on well water with a hard water filter system for years. You get used to the soapy feel. Your hair will never feel as good as when you are away lol.

For laundry: use Calgon Water Softener https://www.walmart.com/ip/Calgon-Wa...2-oz./13424609 (I just used it on my whites)

The GOOD thing is, is that you aren't ingesting any chemicals from city water and well water generally tastes better. Get a Britta filter if it tastes nasty (like iron).

Old 06-27-2017, 04:30 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times
Well water is not all like described above. We have had well water for 30 years and we don't have any issues with it. It depends on where you live.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:25 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
as mentioned above, water softening via salt units is not the only way to treat hard water conditions.

check out the other options from your local water treatment companies.

I, too, didn't like the "soapy" feel to the salt water conditioner water softening process. We discontinued using the water softener and would rather deal with the hard water issues in the hot water heater or appliances. The water taste, by the way, is excellent. Far better than the treated muni water in the city with no chlorine or flouride. We get our water checked every year or two and it's always been cleaner than the standards of the muni water supply.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
You need to:

1) Tweak your Salt system (I have 8 softener systems (5 are Salt based)) The water quality in all is reasonable.

2) Use an alternative softening method (There are many, depending on your specific local situation / water quality)
LACSD Website - Salt Free Water Conditioning Alternatives
What are the Best Salt Free Water Softeners in 2017?
https://www.uswatersystems.com/blog/...ter-softeners/
https://www.uk-water-filters.co.uk/t...softeners.html (I often seek 'non-USA solutions to get ideas)

Your success and methods are very dependent on the specific minerals / pH of your water.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:17 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Some of us use a bypass valve so that the finished water is a mixture of softened and unsoftened water. I keep mine at about 45 ppm hardness (about 2.6 grains per gallon). Completely softened water tends to be corrosive to plumbing fixtures.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:44 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
An alternative that dates back ages is to use rainwater for washing and showers. It involves setting up gutters and a cistern for storage of it. A company that sets septic tanks should be able to set a cistern, or a poly stock tank (lightproof to limit algae growth) can be used. If you look at old laundry product and hair care product ads, you will see "Rainwater Soft!" as a catchphrase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living