Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 04:08 AM

8 posts, read 6,405 times

Advertisements

Well as you can tell farmer's in general have left a negative and long lasting impression with me and my family. As i stated my wife comes from a long line of farmer's including 2 Century farm's that are still in operation. They are even baffled by the mentality of the farmer's here in Iowa. The shear entitlement aura that spews from them is sickening..Maybe we should have the same response to farmer's as they give people moving next to their farm's..if you don't like it, MOVE !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 07:32 AM

400 posts, read 575,336 times
I've read your comments, and it does seem like you've had some painful experiences. I'd also say if you carry this level of distaste toward your farming neighbors when you talk to them, you are going to get an equal reaction. That's not just a farmer thing, that's a people everywhere thing.

I've also had run-ins with neighboring farmers, so I agree completely that there are a few rotten apples in the bunch. Spray drift and hunting on posted land are just a few.

Farming is interesting because you have generations of farmers that have been told by the gov't that they must grow corn and soybeans. If they don't, they lose their insurance, base acres, etc. So that has discouraged innovation. The only place I see real cool stuff happening is in the smaller specialty farms and livestock operations. Like it or not, the government has a cheap food policy and these mega-farms are the output of that.

Full disclosure. My immediate family also has a Century farm, and it's within 40 miles of where the OP of the other thread about Iowa is located. I'm sure I have distant relatives that live within a couple miles of that individual. Obviously I no longer live there, but I'm familiar with the area.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:42 AM

7,149 posts, read 12,694,343 times
It's not so much how much acreage you have, but how noisy your neighbors are. Are there barking dogs? Gunfire from hunting/target practice? Loud machinery? A near by airport, even if small? Nearby train tracks in use? How close to a busy highway where trucks travel? A nearby hospital where ambulances come with sirens going? A fire station?

Visit your possible new location during ALL hours. We discovered we had a neighbor with a dog that barked most of the night -- and only found this out after we moved in. The dog didn't bark during the day. Luckily, the neighbor and dog have moved and it's once again quiet.

Country does not necessarily mean quiet -- only different noises than city noises.

After a rain storm, the frogs where we live can be deafening. A mockingbird can sing all night long nearby. But natural sounds are much better than gunfire, helicopters overhead and arguing/partying neighbors.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:49 PM

30 posts, read 33,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
It's not so much how much acreage you have, but how noisy your neighbors are. Are there barking dogs? Gunfire from hunting/target practice? Loud machinery? A near by airport, even if small? Nearby train tracks in use? How close to a busy highway where trucks travel? A nearby hospital where ambulances come with sirens going? A fire station?

Visit your possible new location during ALL hours. We discovered we had a neighbor with a dog that barked most of the night -- and only found this out after we moved in. The dog didn't bark during the day. Luckily, the neighbor and dog have moved and it's once again quiet.

Country does not necessarily mean quiet -- only different noises than city noises.

After a rain storm, the frogs where we live can be deafening. A mockingbird can sing all night long nearby. But natural sounds are much better than gunfire, helicopters overhead and arguing/partying neighbors.
This is very interesting, I feel I could cope with everything except the barking dogs.
It got so bad here last night, that I ended up standing in my garden like a mad woman and yelling shut up at the neighbours dog! Funnily enough after that it was quiet (its was one of those deep throat big barking mixed breeds)

Old 09-13-2017, 04:22 AM

8 posts, read 6,405 times
TWG your exactly right, there are a slim few legitimate farmer's that actually work hard to make it without any freebies from us taxpayers. There is is a beautiful older couple that have probably 250 acres total and raise a hand full of Black Angus cattle, same amount in Boer goats, same amount of pigs, corn and oats. They are completely self sufficient.
They raise their own feed source for their livestock and a good part for themselves. Their property is absolutely pristine ! No broken down junk equipment sitting around, no dilapidated barns Etc..you can tell they really care about their livestock and the environment. In fact we bought a hog from them 2yrs ago for our sons 18th B-day party and slow roasted it in a pit, yummy ! As we we're talking to them about other neighbor's (yes gossip), the modern day farmer doesn't try to make a living anymore, they are trying to get rich, that's why 90% of farms are owned by the banks ! They live way over what their income is simply because they know they have the taxpayers to fall back on. As his wife pointed out, the average farmer now days are generally overweight, pretty sloppy compaired to the farmer's 50-75yrs ago. So you ask ? , they are eating more, less exercise (not working as hard) and why ? Because they know they don't have too ?...Food for thought

Old 11-08-2017, 12:57 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,523,912 times
Before moving to the mountains of WNC, I lived on 5 acres, 3/4 mile down a dirt rd., in East central
FL, all lots were 5+ acres, most weren’t developed, On each side of me there were two 5 acre lots that weren’t developed, thought I had it made, until I took the dog out around 8pm, loud Salsa music for most of the night, every night, couldn’t tell where it was coming from, but it was loud.
During most days, gun fire, dogs barking, and what sounded like a muscle car racing it’s engine.

The Summer heat was getting to us, so moved on, bought a mountain side, newer house with 1/2 mile driveway to the top, on 65 acres.
Occasionally we hear cows and maybe a dog bark, other than that, birds, and the trees whispering.
Serenity Now!

Old 11-10-2017, 06:08 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,331,148 times
I don’t think there is a set size that should make someone feel at peace.

All lots/land are different. For example, some family members of mine had around 6 acres, not too much...But their land was surrounded by National & State forests, so the 6 acres seemed like a million because nobody could touch the surrounding areas.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:39 AM

497 posts, read 485,853 times
Years ago my mom lived on 5 acres in southern Washington. At that time you could only see one of the neighbors, and they were far enough away you couldn't hear them going about their daily lives. The house was about 30 minutes from town and traffic up there was very minimal. It was really peaceful and I loved spending time there. Fast forward to about five years after she moved away and now there are houses built all around her. Not so great anymore.

I think you would need to purchase enough acreage to ensure that in the future no one can build close enough to disturb your peace. Personally, I wouldn't want less than 25 acres and large timber would be a must.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:32 PM

8,058 posts, read 10,656,443 times
I live in a rural area of North Carolina. I have almost two acres, but it is not enough to have "peace" from the neighbors, noise, etc. You need a minimum of 5 I would say.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:55 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,256,407 times
if you find an older home in some neighborhoods that had septic systems, you would need at least 1 acre for the leach field. This is one of the main reasons why newer homes sit on smaller lots.... sewer hookups eliminate the need for leach fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living