Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Installing an alternative energy source will cost as much as the land itself. The keyword is cheap, and alternative energy ain't it.

Just to live. If i need work, I'll leave for a while and find a temporary housing. I'm fixing up a 1978 20' camper as we speak.
The Survivalist Blog ~ Daily Survival Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 04:30 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Let's see... dirt cheap, sheep, goats and chickens do well... low taxes... all in Maine... where do I sign up?
Come one up and look around

Old 04-14-2009, 04:36 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Sounds fantastic...where in Maine is this? 900/acre is kinda scary, but it won't be bad if I buy 20-40 acres at 900/acre...need to crunch numbers on it. But the winters are brutal. 300/acre is just what I'm looking for...details about this wooded land?

How short is the growth season, and what months? Don't know about raising farm animals. I prefer to hunt. Any good hunting in Maine where you are located?
We moved up here in 2005.

So far from our observation winters in many other states have lower temps, and the 'snow belt' has much more snow than we have.

So I guess it depends a lot on how you define 'brutal'.

The Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Wisconsin, many places have more severe winters.

Most of Maine is wooded.

All of Maine is laid out in 'townships' though most of those townships [52%] are not organized. They have no local government incorporated, so they have far lower taxes.

Nobody here can consistently plant before 1June. 100 day growing season is the norm.

My township seems to harvest two deer for each person living here. Maybe twice that many turkey, a few beer, a few moose.

The best 'farming' is done in greenhouses.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:36 PM

252 posts, read 732,639 times
People from Nebraska will be mad if I spread around their well-kept secret. The winter, here, isn't always for the faint of heart, but people like to cozy up til it's over. Some of us see the beauty in that.

Otherwise, there are wide open spaces and lakes with plenty of fish. Each town has its own personality........and, it's my opinion living in a small town is very different from living out in the country. But, you gotta' have an outpost.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:47 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
We're looking too, and we found reasonable acreage to be found in Kentucky. Also the plaines states are even cheaper but a little too remote for us. We would like to stay Midwest/Central.
Also, we found that if you are looking for "land" that is not a farm or anything. Mostly these have been bought out by big land holding corporations and are only available in designated lot sizes that have stipulations regarding building I am sure. We found we are better off finding something that had an existing residence on it. Even if it was an old mobile home. A lot cheaper, no one wants them.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:49 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
People from Nebraska will be mad if I spread around their well-kept secret. The winter, here, isn't always for the faint of heart, but people like to cozy up til it's over. Some of us see the beauty in that.

Otherwise, there are wide open spaces and lakes with plenty of fish. Each town has its own personality........and, it's my opinion living in a small town is very different from living out in the country. But, you gotta' have an outpost.
I'll ditto your post on Nebraska. By the sounds of what this person is looking for, southeastern Nebraska might be perfect. Very rural, lots of trees without being all forest, and fairly mild winters (not nearly as brutal as western or northern Nebraska or South Dakota where I'm from). Cornhusker football would be only a short drive away.

The cheap acreage thing fits the bill if you get over 50 miles from Sioux Falls, but I think our winters might take away some of the fun hobby farming and playing.

Eastern Kansas might also be a good place to look. Very rural, but also quite close to Kansas City for things to do.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:22 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,789 times
Jmgg, how mild is the winter in that area of Neb.? Thanks

Old 04-26-2009, 02:36 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Jmgg, how mild is the winter in that area of Neb.? Thanks
Mild is a relative term totally dependant on the person.

SE Nebraska and NE Kansas areas get snow all the time, but it periodically melts through the winter. Ice can be the biggest problem for that area as told to me by one of my best friends who lives approx. 75 miles south of the NE/KS border. Lot's of rain turning to snow (right at 32 degrees) weather to deal with. Temperatures in this area seldom get too far below zero.

200 to 300 miles north of that area in Sioux Falls, SD where I live, we pretty much get snow in November that usually don't melt entirely away until March. This year was a little different than most. We can enjoy 20 below zero weather during any given winter along with our famous winds. North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota invented the term "wind chill factor". We don't feel sorry for ourselves much though, we could be North Dakota.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:51 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,655 times
We too may be looking for acreage in about 4-5 yrs.

I"m thinking KY or TN.

I think i'd like a min of 20acres.

I need it cold enough to grow hostas, warm enough [longer season] to grow veggies.
have a green house, a shop for the DH
he likes to shoot [target, no animals] ... so no close neighbors

I'd love water... possibly a pond to stock

I did browse a bit in KY on the internet... and land seems reasonable.

oh -- i'd like to be about 30 min from civilization.

DH has a good friend in KY, outskirts of Louisville [the sticks really] ... great piece of land but from what i recall there is only 1 single restaurant within 10 min.

I guess that is a perk of living in the 'burbs of a bigger city... the convenience of shopping/restaurants.

we also have friends in MO, [down near the Ozarks] and they have asked us to look in their area... but from what i've heard, the soil is crap... rocks etc. So, i dont think i could consider that.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM

215 posts, read 788,825 times
I just did a comp for acreage in my area, the average price I got was $36k per acre for the area I was pulling comps for. Nice area, rural and access to utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living