Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,112 times

Advertisements

Anyone here recieve letter from government about capping your well ?

We moved here because of the rurla living and well water , now they are after us to use city water .

When we visit our kids their city water is so full of bleach sometimes it almost takes your breath ! They are use to it and can't even smell the stuff anymore .

What is going on with the control over us all ? Also they are doing away with homestead exemptions and this doubles taxes . In Dalas Ga. and Gilsville they have already done so in many areas .

Anyone else have any of these problems ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 03:32 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
No.

However, I don't live within the city limits that provides public water.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:56 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Cities often force people to connect to city water, giving them a monopoly, source of revenue, etc., and total control over you.

The town water here is so full of chlorine there's warnings every time the report comes out on the dangers it poses. Wouldn't catch me drinking any municipal water supply.

I suggest you move further out, well away from any municipal water or sewer system.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:52 PM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Cities often force people to connect to city water, giving them a monopoly, source of revenue, etc., and total control over you.

The town water here is so full of chlorine there's warnings every time the report comes out on the dangers it poses. Wouldn't catch me drinking any municipal water supply.

I suggest you move further out, well away from any municipal water or sewer system.

If the city water has a strong chlorine smell they're over treating it. Even if it's surface water the input usually doesn't have to be too much.

It's not municipalities that necessarily force water hook-up but state laws and some federal ones. Usually tied in with sewer plants, the operators want to have a known water base to treat and wells are too variable.

As far as revenue goes most places treat the water/sewer fund as an eneterprise fund which means it can't be used to balance the general fund but only used for the water/sewer system obligations: treatment, origination, maintenance on the system, debt service on the bonding, etc.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:53 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
Here in Lake City Florida,Columbia County installed a water system and ordered everyone to hookup.They said wells could be used for misc purposes.Well the people said no and got required votes to put it on the ballot in November.County will have to rethink,the reason for trying this route was some big businesses were having trouble with wells and water.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:56 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If the city water has a strong chlorine smell they're over treating it. Even if it's surface water the input usually doesn't have to be too much.

It's not municipalities that necessarily force water hook-up but state laws and some federal ones. Usually tied in with sewer plants, the operators want to have a known water base to treat and wells are too variable.

As far as revenue goes most places treat the water/sewer fund as an eneterprise fund which means it can't be used to balance the general fund but only used for the water/sewer system obligations: treatment, origination, maintenance on the system, debt service on the bonding, etc.
Obviously. But the water source is so filthy to begin with...

It's municipalities here. There's no state law here forcing people to connect to it, it's local ordinances of some cities/towns.

Most people with wells also have their own septic systems. There's no leigtimate reason for forcing people to use a municipal water or sewer system if their septic is not polluting.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:11 PM

For thoe too far from the city water they have other plans, they will put a meter on your well until the water can be piped in .

When they come to read the power meters they will read the water meter also .

Old 06-03-2010, 08:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
For thoe too far from the city water they have other plans, they will put a meter on your well until the water can be piped in .

When they come to read the power meters they will read the water meter also .
Do you happen to have a link for this??

We have never had people forced to hook into city water here however, there is two township that have city water and does not like it when people want to drill new wells. So they pasted ordinances.

We have challenged that three times and won. One was an Indian.

The other two when to their doctor and got a RX that said the chlorine would not be good for them.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Do you happen to have a link for this??

We have never had people forced to hook into city water here however, there is two township that have city water and does not like it when people want to drill new wells. So they pasted ordinances.

We have challenged that three times and won. One was an Indian.

The other two when to their doctor and got a RX that said the chlorine would not be good for them.

No link but you can use search engine if you like .

Old 06-03-2010, 08:58 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
No link but you can use search engine if you like .
I have no idea what town you live in. Let me know and I will look. This is interesting to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living