Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:52 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,952 times

Advertisements

It was another hot and sultry Sunday.. I packed up my tools and then headed out to the pond, a copy of Hemingway's "Islands in the Steam" under one arm and in the other hand an old bottle of wine. There's an old rickety dock that juts out into the pond, and that's where I found myself for the rest of the evening, just me, my book, and the soft whisper of a cool breeze rushing across the water.

Thing is, I spent all day working on a house that's seen better days. It's just an old shotgun house with crackling paint and sagging floors, but it's mine.

Almost six months ago, I was actually given about 6 acres of land. A family member owned it, but has never been on it. Apparently, he bought it as an investment back in the 70's, and then simply didn't do anything with it. I needed a little bit of space, and he didn't want to pay taxes and all of that on the land, so, he signed the deed over to me.

Right now, I live in the city. I've always lived in the city. I lived in Miami and Tampa, Chicago, Dallas, but never once have I ever lived anywhere where deer so calmly stare at you from across a grassy field. When I needed something fixed, I just picked up the phone book.

Now, I find myself doing things that I never once thought I'd do. I mean, I was under that house with about three feet to move in, replacing joists. Up until just a few months ago, I didn't even know what a joist was. I've heard of bats in the belfry, but beyond that, that's the limit of my construction knowledge.

Still, I'm growing accustomed to it. I only get to go down there every weekend or so, but as soon as I arrive I feel all the stresses of life dissipate like the morning fog.

So, with glass in hand, and the feel of the dock slowly swaying beneath me, I start thinking.. What forces of nature conspired against me, and now relent to allow me this piece of mind? Why? Now what do I do?

That last one was the big question: Now what do I do?

So that brings me to the point of this rambling disorientation. Now that I have land, and am slowly creating a home on this land, now what do I do?

The job market is atrocious, gas is more expensive, and why is it that every time I go down there's a strange looking cow staring at me?

Does anyone have any idea, or suggestions, or maybe just a tiny hint, at what a city boy does with a home in the country?

Thanks for the advice.. Gotta run, got boats to build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 PM

175 posts, read 468,491 times
Looks like you found the answer.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
Looks like you found the answer.
If that was the case, I wouldn't be asking..

What answer do you think that I've found?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:34 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"The job market is atrocious, gas is more expensive, and why is it that every time I go down there's a strange looking cow staring at me?"

That cow is probably a bull. He probably thinks "why is it that every time I go down there's a strange looking human staring at me?"

What would you LIKE to do with the land and house? Country life and city life are much different.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"The job market is atrocious, gas is more expensive, and why is it that every time I go down there's a strange looking cow staring at me?"

That cow is probably a bull. He probably thinks "why is it that every time I go down there's a strange looking human staring at me?"

What would you LIKE to do with the land and house? Country life and city life are much different.
You're probably right, bulls are people too.. Sorry, that just struck me funny..

But, to be honest, I have no clue what I'd like to do with the land and the house. I've always lived on a little plot where I can easily reach out my window and touch my neighbors house.

All that I have figured out so far is that I want to expand the house to give me more square footage, but other than that, my minds a blank. Hell, I don't even know how to take care of the land I have, if that makes any sense. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm at a loss.. I've always wanted land, but I never dreamed that it would happen. Sure, 6 acres isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but compared to city life, it's like the wild frontier. So, after I do the additions, I guess I just need ideas as to what to do next.. I don't even know what's possible.

If any of that makes any sense..

Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
You might start by looking at some of the magazines that deal with the subject-
Backwoods Home, Mother Earth News, Countryside, etc.. You'll find a lot of focus on animals and gardens.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:01 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Well, you can do the Russian thing and consider the country house a "summer house" and spend your summer vacations and holidays there, close it up in the fall (know what you are doing here, don't let stuff freeze and burst) and live/work for the most part in the city.

I guess your first question is if it makes any sense to move to your country place full time, giving up or selling your urban abode - offhand your comments make me think that's not going to be your first choice.

You can definitely lease out at least part of the land for pasture, that's what I do with our 13 acre country plot.

Yeah, Mother Earth News is available about anywhere magazines are sold, good info. Backwoods Home is a little more hard-core and harder to find, good info there too.

Think security too. There may be people who would think your country house looks like it would make a decent meth lab...

Old 08-24-2009, 05:31 PM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
you're learning

Old 08-26-2009, 06:23 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Nice writing...not sure what you 'should' do...follow your heart...

Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 PM

36,421 posts, read 16,032,420 times
I am happy for you, there is always something to do. As far as a job, there is one out there for you! It's a great feeling isn't it???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living