Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 PM

217 posts, read 845,082 times

Advertisements

You could say the same of the cities...a lot of people are rude there. While I've never been to the rural areas you mention, at least around here people move out to the rural areas because they're sick of the city, etc. and a lot of them want to be left alone. That's no excuse to be rude to you if you're in their stores, etc. but maybe they worry about exactly what you've said if you post your pictures, thousands might be tempted to go and check it out themselves...and when a lot of people start liking an area because it's charming and quiet and go there for that reason, well, then it's not so charming and quiet anymore and the people who lived there all along for that reason are going to be understandably ticked.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:15 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,929 times
Yes, I apoligize for lumping my experiences with midwestern rural for southern rural which I have no experience with.

I guess thats why so many people are moving south and so much of the midwest has lost so much of its population. Maybe there is a difference in rural in different areas of the country.

I just find rural midwestern almost without exception very cold, arrogant and hostile while the cities in the midwest tend to be friendlier.

Maybe the forests and warmth of Mississippi cause people to be friendlier then being around flat gray tundra like alot of rural midwestern areas.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:22 PM

15 posts, read 85,558 times
In my experience the people in real small towns under 10,000 people, that are not part of a large metro area, tend to be clannish and isolated from the world. Many never leave the small town. Also, to be honest, the economic opportunities in most small towns are not that great anymore, so people are forced to either commute a long ways or they will work in one of those famous "dirty jobs". You do not get the smartest people in many of the small towns and they may be threatened by college educated professional types.

The best people in my experience are living in medium sized towns outside of large metro areas. They have a nice peaceful existence with short commutes but diversions like shopping, movie theatres, and cultural events.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:03 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conversationist View Post
In my experience the people in real small towns under 10,000 people, that are not part of a large metro area, tend to be clannish and isolated from the world. Many never leave the small town. Also, to be honest, the economic opportunities in most small towns are not that great anymore, so people are forced to either commute a long ways or they will work in one of those famous "dirty jobs". You do not get the smartest people in many of the small towns and they may be threatened by college educated professional types.

The best people in my experience are living in medium sized towns outside of large metro areas. They have a nice peaceful existence with short commutes but diversions like shopping, movie theatres, and cultural events.
My small town is actually not a town at all. It is considered a Village, we have a total population of 165 and to be honest, I think someone counted dogs and cats to get this much.

Both my husband and I are college educated. We each own our own business. So is my friend the doctor who lives just down the road from me, actually, she has just finished 2 more degrees. My friend on the other side of me is also college educated, her job? She is over all the labs at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. My other friend, who lives behind me is also college educated, she was a flight nurse until her knees gave out and she deicded to go to work at LeBonner (sp) hospital in Memphis. Her husband is also college educated, he works for National Park Service.
Many of my other friends work at East Union Attendence ( largest county school) and all are college educated. Both my mother and father-in-law are college educated, she a librarian and teacher; he an engineer. My aunt just finished her degree to become a school teacher, she decided to switch careers 4 years ago.

I have seen most all this country with only a few exceptions. The most beautiful place I've been to is hands down, Hawaii. But each state I've visited has it's own unique beauty. I've even traveled outside this country, the last area visited being Mexico.

We might live in a rural community, but we are not illerate nor are we ignorant. Yes, some of us might have a 'dirty' job, but that does not bother us one bit. We love them the same as our other friends.

Yes, we can be clannish if the need arises, but for the most part, we are a very friendly people. We welcome all newcomers to our town with an open curiosity that they soon realize is not meant to be nosy.

We do find that many people underestimate us simply because we are such a small community. To that, we just shake our heads and say, those poor city slickers.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:59 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,650 times
MattDen, I totally disagree with your assessment. I live in a rural area and have spent time in the Dakotas, lots of time in northern Minnesota, and plenty of time in Minneapolis. I've found my assessment to be exactly the opposite of yours. I find people more friendly in the smaller towns and just plain freaked out by attempted conversations in larger cities. Weird how people have such different experiences!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:08 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,161 times
I hate to admit it but I think you have a point. I think its a fear of the unknown- unknown people with possibly different values than them. Maybe they feel a little threatened by out of towners who might be percieved as being smarter or more worldly by virtue of having traveled. Some of the smartest people I know are country folks, but they are also some of the most paranoid.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:10 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
I've lived mostly in cities, but did do a 1.5 year stint in a town of 7,000. I also used to have a job that took me to small towns where I worked with local elected officials and local businessmen.

I've seen plenty of arrogance on both sides. City folks assuming rural types are ignorant about big city ways. Most of them aren't ignorant--they know all about it, they just don't want any of it! Kind of like when I lived in FL. Lots of people there assume that the rest of the country envies them, but most of us aren't interested in living there for various resons.

On the other hand, I was characterized in the small towns I visited as the "suit" from the city who just didn't understand their ways. Many times, I heard people say about themselves, "I'm just a small-town guy, so I don't know what you are talking about, but I know you are wrong!' As if they were proud to be stupid!

It's not about size of town, it's about the ignorance and arrogance that pop up everywhere.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:23 AM

653 posts, read 3,407,829 times
I lived in South Dakota for three years and have BEEN to 46 of the 50 states. The FRIENDLIEST people that I have ever encounterd are those from South Dakota!!!!! ESPECIALLY---The RURAL folk. Californians, at least to me, seem to be the rudest and the "Phoneist"!!

Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
It's not about size of town, it's about the ignorance and arrogance that pop up everywhere.
Now this I can totally agree with.

But, I do have to say that when I lived in the larger cities, knowing your neighbors was almost unheard of.

Can't tell you any of my neighbors names when I lived in Indiana or Michigan or Georgia. Don't think it is so much a regional thing as I do a larger metro thing. But then again, I bet there are areas in these larger cities that are small communities where the neighbors do interact.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
[quote=GreggB;725934]I lived in South Dakota for three years and have BEEN to 46 of the 50 states. The FRIENDLIEST people that I have ever encounterd are those from South Dakota!!!!! ESPECIALLY---The RURAL folk. Californians, at least to me, seem to be the rudest and the "Phoneist"!![/QUOTE]

That's cuz you haven't met me!!! You just met the wrong Californians, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living