Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:09 PM

23 posts, read 144,592 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving to GB- we are a couple in our 30s, both professionals, with one child. We're politically liberal. I know GB leans conservative -- do people out there who know the GB area think we'll "fit in"? I'm not concerned that it's conservative, but want my daughter exposed to a range of ideas and people...

Also- it doesn't seem like there are a lot of families with young kids there. Is this true?

p.s. We love the schools up there and want to be closer to family, so that's our first choice. (We're moving from Sacramento). I'm not interested in Davis b/c it's too far from my family (and frankly, too flat).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 02:18 PM

163 posts, read 774,055 times
You live in Sacramento and are asking about Granite Bay....? I'm confused. I've always considered GB as being "in Sacramento" in the same way any other suburb is.

Surely if you live in Sac now you already know the stereotypes and generalizations about Granite Bay and GB people...?

I never thought it mattered much what part of town you're in if you're Liberal or conservative....there's a good mix it seams in most areas anyway even if they "lean" to one side.

One thing I don't think is that your daughter will get exposed to a range of people and ideas in Granite Bay, shoot of all places Granite Bay. Definitely more sheltered and uh... different out there. Shoot, my girlfriends kid cousins live in Folsom and live such a sheltered life it's ridiculous. They never, literally, get downtown. We all went out to eat at Ernesto's recently and driving through Midtown one of them saw a little graffiti and freaked out and thought we were in an unsafe area.

Anyway, as far as getting exposed to different things in Granite Bay....see above about stereotypes and generalizations about Granite Bay

Tim

Old 06-18-2007, 02:54 PM

23 posts, read 144,592 times
So Tim, do you think it's a mistake to move out of Sacramento?

Yes, I know all about the stereotypes-- I'm hoping people that live there will tell me if the stereotypes are true, the pros and cons of living there, etc.

I think safety and good schools are my priorities now that I have a child, so I'm looking to get out of the city and into a suburb that meets those goals, and that is closer to my other family (they are in Roseville & Loomis).

I'm not looking forward to a commute from GB, but think it might be worth it.

Again, i'm looking for info on pros and cons of GB to help me decide.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:19 PM

163 posts, read 774,055 times
Well, I do not live in GB. I started out in Roseville when I moved to the area, nice enough but got real bored and never really came into town cause it's so far and the traffic. Moved to the south area, pocket. And now in Land Park. This neighborhood is real nice, I don't have kids but I think Land Park and East Sac are the best parts of town if you want a nice neighborhood, convenient location, and a good family area. Love the old homes, trees, local shops eateries to walk to, parks. Seems to me like a much better family area then congested suburbia like Roseville, Granite Bay, Folsom....whatever. That's just my opinion.

Also, my job takes me to dozens of people homes, all around town, to service and/or present (sell) a product. So basically I meet people in all parts of the metro area and chat with them in their homes. And yes, in my personal experience I feel people are definitely different in Granite Bay/Roseville than they are in other neighborhoods. Maybe it's me, but they just feel (in general) much more "fake", more pretentious/snobby, less friendly and down-to-earth,etc. That's from my real world experience, not what someone told me....so hope that helps. And of course not EVERYONE there is like that, but it definitely seems to be more are than not.

Oh btw, I wouldn't count on people who are living there to confirm the stereotypes If one lives there and denies the stereotype I would guess they might be one of them

Pros and cons of living there...what do you want?

Traffic is bad, it's sprawling suburbia, chain stores/restaurants as far as the eye can see, much less trees than in town, commute into city center sucks, not so much to do besides shop and go out to said chain restaurants (and wait 30 min-an hour to be seated.....always hated that), tract homes galore.

On the other hand..... it is safe, quiet, easier access to the hills/mtns, shopping and such is very convenient, and there are plenty of nice neighborhoods to choose.

I also don't have kids, so take that into consideration.

Not saying moving out of Sac city is bad... just depends on what is more important to you and what kind of lifestyle you want. Just curious....what part of town are you in? How long you been here?

BTW - I think central neighborhoods like east sac and land park are plenty safe for families/kids. Also, in land park and east sac I always see way more kids and/or families outside. Out walking, in the park, walking to a neighborhood shop or place to eat, or just to and from school. Not so much when I was in Roseville. Everyone was in their house or in the car.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:00 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Default Things for Consideration

Mel, I recently moved to the Sacramento area and am not intimately familiar with Granite Bay, I only know it from reputation and driving around the area.

However, I have had to consider moving with young kids quite a few years ago, and about fitting in comfortably. Since your posting hasn't generated much discussion, perhaps this perspective may be of some limited value to you.

Generally, I have found that your immediate neighbors will be a much greater influence in your contentment than an overview of the environment in an area. In other words, a lot has to do with the folks around you, and rarely will you be able to determine how this will go when viewing things from a statistical perspective.

With a young child, I found that when you move to an area that is full of new homes and growing they will have more kids to choose from as friends. I have ALWAYS found that older established neighborhoods, especially at the higher price ranges, have fewer and older kids. This may be something you want to ponder too.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:52 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,443 times
I don't know where in Sac you currently live, but if you're looking for a diversity of ideas and people, GB won't give it to you. I moved from Land Park to Folsom last year and half regret the move. We moved out here because my husband's office is here and we hated the commute. It's true that the schools out this way are good, but there are good schools in the city, too.

As said above, I'd recommend Land Park or East Sac as great places in which to raise kids. They are safe, friendly, and definitely more diverse and focus on culture than the eastern 'burbs. The suburbs seem more filled with fake people who care about impressing the Joneses as well as keeping up with them. Lots of plastic surgery and Hummers.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:00 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
Hi, we lived in Newcastle and moved so Southern Utah a year and a half ago, its awful here so we are moving back. Anyway...I worked at a school in Granite Bay, the school district is awesome, excellent schools, teachers, lots of parent involvement...however, I will tell you that it is a very, very conservative area. Not much diversity, you won't find that much diversity in GB, Loomis or Newcastle. If you are 'city' people, that is not the place to be. Don't get me wrong, GB is great, if we could afford to live there we would, but then we are pretty conservative and it fits us. I don't think you can beat it for the schools, though.

Another option, stay in Sac and do private school? Just a thought! Of course, nothing is forever so if you do head out that way, it doesn't work, move back to Sac. Good luck!
Barb

Old 06-19-2007, 07:11 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,822 times
Hi, I live in Granite Bay, so here's my opinion.

First of all, I've been here for about 10 years, and so I've seen the area really develop. The nice thing about Granite Bay is that it's just about all built up, so except for the few infill spots that are available, it's about done growing, which we like. Commuting into GB takes you thru Roseville, which can be congested, but GB is small enough that traffic isn't too bad once you cross Sierra College Blvd... UNLESS it's a holiday, when the lines of boaters stack up at the Folsom lake entrance on Douglas blvd.

There are fewer kids here than there were maybe 10 years ago, but that's mainly because it's 1) expensive, so many families with younger kids can't afford to move out here, and 2) the development has been done for about 10 years, most of those initial families are empty-nesters, but still live in the area since it hasn't been enough time for retirement or passing on. Rest assured, though, there are plenty of kids, and Granite Bay high is currently over capacity by about 200 kids or so, so it goes to show you that it's not kid-unfriendly by any stretch

I think that the schools here are the best in the area, no contest, and although it's not diverse here, it's not for lack of tolerance. There may be a majority of white, conservative people (of which we are), but if liberal minded people, or people that aren't white move in, their opinions and differences are both respected and tolerated. Both of my next door neighbors are democrats, and they love the area too.

You'll see some "fake" people, but I really think that they are a minority. The way I see it, an affluent area's problems include fake people, which i'll take over the problem of gang infestation anyday. The point that I make is that every area has an issue, and yes, a minority of people here are "fake," but the most of us are nice, and just try to be good people. What you'll get in return is complete safety. I know Sacramento is very safe, but I still lock my car when I park in town. In GB, many people don't lock their cars or homes. In addition, the gang population at Granite Bay high is literally 0%. Other schools in the district won't let kids wear solid reds, blues, or bandannas for fear that they are part of a gang, but this policy isn't followed at all at GB high, since it's completely not a factor. I also like the extra room between houses here vs. Roseville or Folsom, and how the neighborhoods here are not completely filled with tract homes.

I hope this answers some of your questions, but I'll be happy to answer any more you may have. It's true that Granite Bay folk have a reputation for being snotty, but I'd say that 1) it's not as bad as the reputation of El Dorado Hills, and 2) I know i'm a nice guy, and people that think I'm a jerk when I tell them my address aren't very nice people either.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:39 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
people that think I'm a jerk when I tell them my address aren't very nice people either.
Words to live by!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:21 AM

6 posts, read 26,703 times
Talking Gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by meljones73 View Post
We're thinking of moving to GB- we are a couple in our 30s, both professionals, with one child. We're politically liberal. I know GB leans conservative -- do people out there who know the GB area think we'll "fit in"? I'm not concerned that it's conservative, but want my daughter exposed to a range of ideas and people...

Also- it doesn't seem like there are a lot of families with young kids there. Is this true?

p.s. We love the schools up there and want to be closer to family, so that's our first choice. (We're moving from Sacramento). I'm not interested in Davis b/c it's too far from my family (and frankly, too flat).

Davis is what you are talking about. And, GB IS flat!!!

Look in Rocklin.

TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento