Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 12:48 AM

3 posts, read 6,838 times

Advertisements

I lived in North Highlands and Rancho Cordova 20 years ago, however a recent visit to Sacramento confirmed that it is not the same as it used to be, in fact I only recognized a few things. My husband's work brings us to the area now. My older son will be going to school near downtown V/9th. My husband will be working out of the airport. We need to keep it inexpensive (renting) we have pets, want established neighborhoods, no flood plains, safe and not to crowded since this will be a bit of a culture shock coming from a small town where neighbors live more than 30 feet away minimum. Need suggestions to begin my search for rental homes. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 01:06 AM

40 posts, read 302,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by determined View Post
I lived in North Highlands and Rancho Cordova 20 years ago, however a recent visit to Sacramento confirmed that it is not the same as it used to be, in fact I only recognized a few things. My husband's work brings us to the area now. My older son will be going to school near downtown V/9th. My husband will be working out of the airport. We need to keep it inexpensive (renting) we have pets, want established neighborhoods, no flood plains, safe and not to crowded since this will be a bit of a culture shock coming from a small town where neighbors live more than 30 feet away minimum. Need suggestions to begin my search for rental homes. Thanks in advance.
Yeah, North Highlands and Rancho Cordova have definitely changed since then! Stay out of NH if you can- same with Del Paso Heights, South Sac, etc. I can't think of a lot of options given those specific requirements (commutes to downtown and way out to the airport). If you don't want to be in a flood plain, don't live in Natomas. West Sacramento may be a good option for you - it used to be dumpy, but they're really cleaning it up these last few years, and there are LOTS of new developments out there that are very nice, and with the addition of Raley Field (go RiverCats!), its reputation has improved tremendously. It's not too far from your son's school - even though they're cleaning up the whole city of WS, the newer, prettier areas are south of Hwy 50 (NOT near Capital Ave, etc). In other words, make a left when you get off at Jefferson Blvd.

If you're flexible on schools, you could always live closer to the airport in one of the small towns out there. May I ask what school that is at V and 9th? I'm in Citrus Heights so I'm not entirely familiar with the downtown area, except wherever my educational pursuits at Sac State have taken me over the last few years (all of the hospitals in the area).

Hope that is helpful to you! If you have any more questions that I can help with, please ask.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:12 AM

3 posts, read 6,838 times
The school is a charter school, The Met Sacramento. Project based learning part of Welcome to The Big Picture Company it was one of the deciding factors to choose Sacramento over some other cities since my husband can work wherever there is a major airport.

I remember West Sac being the place NOT to be back when, however it sounds like they have done some wonderful things recently. I think I read somewhere that electricity is more expensive in some areas than it is in others, why?

Old 07-12-2007, 06:04 PM

58 posts, read 287,325 times
Hi!

I'm sure that Natomas has rentals. These are new neighborhoods and a lot of investors have bought real estate there as rentals. Not very close to 9th and V St, however - with traffic, it would be an awkward commute.

I don't know what your rental price range is but I would suggest two neighborhoods - Hollywood Park/South Land Park and Pocket/Greenhaven. Cook Realty has been in those areas for decades and has it's own separate rental business. You might want to give them a call.

Carolyn Montgomery
Realtor (not with Cook

Old 07-19-2007, 02:25 PM

424 posts, read 2,697,423 times
The only thing I know of that would make electricity more expensive is if the area is covered by SMUD or PG&E. SMUD is less expensive than PG&E (or at least it used to be). I think there are also small utility districts in some areas that could also cause the cost to vary. I know when I lived near Elverta, we got our electricty through Citizen's Utilities and the cost was lower than PG&E. Maybe residents or realtors will know more.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:22 AM

375 posts, read 1,725,894 times
I don't think Pleasant Grove is too far from the Airport.
Check out Elverta also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento