Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 03:23 PM

12 posts, read 34,120 times

Advertisements

We are moving from the midwest and my husband's job is in Sacramento, at UC-Davis Med Ctr. What is Woodland like, overall? A place you would want to live, or not?

We like a smaller-town feel, have a couple horses, and we thought maybe Woodland was more rural.

What's the real story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 11:36 AM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,156 times
Woodland looks nice, but its a dangerous place to dwell. There's a large population now of illegals living there and gang activities like regular drive-by shootings. There's an area called "Wilton" where the lots are 2-5 acres minimum and the commute to UC Med is reasonable. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:07 PM

12 posts, read 34,120 times
Really? That's very depressing to hear, as we are going to be renting in Woodland to start out. Is there any place around Sac that is safe?? I've heard a variation of this warning regarding gang activities and violence in just about every area I've looked at.

A little voice keeps whispering to me that moving to CA may turn out to be a very, very bad idea. Wish someone could reassure me that this is not so.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:32 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
It's not so. People see nonwhites and assume they are gangbanging illegal aliens. Woodland is a scrappy little agricultural town that is rapidly turning into a suburb of Sacramento, like most of the scrappy little farm towns within 20-30 miles. Unfortunately the boom/bust left a lot of them overbuilt, and many of them are going to look kind of Omega Man until there is enough demand to buy up the supply of housing.

I'd recommend looking at property along the eastern edge of the city of Sacramento between roughly Fair Oaks Boulevard and the American River--College Greens, Arden Oaks, Arden Park, and the southern portion of Arden-Arcade, near the Del Paso Country Club (not to be confused with Del Paso Heights.) There is horse property if you look off the main streets--they don't look like much from the business streets, but once you pull off onto the side roads there are some beautiful estates. These neighborhoods are within a 10-15 minute drive of UCDMC. It's not really rural, just comfortably suburban postwar suburbs. If you have the means, that's where I'd recommend looking.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
It's not so. People see nonwhites and assume they are gangbanging illegal aliens. Woodland is a scrappy little agricultural town that is rapidly turning into a suburb of Sacramento, like most of the scrappy little farm towns within 20-30 miles. Unfortunately the boom/bust left a lot of them overbuilt, and many of them are going to look kind of Omega Man until there is enough demand to buy up the supply of housing.

I'd recommend looking at property along the eastern edge of the city of Sacramento between roughly Fair Oaks Boulevard and the American River--College Greens, Arden Oaks, Arden Park, and the southern portion of Arden-Arcade, near the Del Paso Country Club (not to be confused with Del Paso Heights.) There is horse property if you look off the main streets--they don't look like much from the business streets, but once you pull off onto the side roads there are some beautiful estates. These neighborhoods are within a 10-15 minute drive of UCDMC. It's not really rural, just comfortably suburban postwar suburbs. If you have the means, that's where I'd recommend looking.
Im going to have to disagree, Burg. I read the newspaper and watch the local news. There's always someone getting shot or stabbed in Woodland now. Ive read about innocent citizens getting shot at there.
I'm certainly no racist, just a street-wise person that knows the score in this town.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Christiansen View Post
Really? That's very depressing to hear, as we are going to be renting in Woodland to start out. Is there any place around Sac that is safe?? I've heard a variation of this warning regarding gang activities and violence in just about every area I've looked at.

A little voice keeps whispering to me that moving to CA may turn out to be a very, very bad idea. Wish someone could reassure me that this is not so.
There's crime everywhere, parts of Omaha arent so great either.
If hubbie works at UC MED, Wilton isnt too far away and there's horse properties that are 2-5 acres. Check it out.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:14 PM

51 posts, read 143,337 times
I agree with Berg and yeah never go to del paso heights

Old 11-28-2010, 08:41 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Aquaboy: Woodland's crime rates are pretty average for the United States--not an idyllic paradise, but certainly not the way you're portraying it.

Wilton's kind of out in the sticks--considering one would have to deal with the Elk Grove/Sacramento commute traffic, at least a half-hour minimum commute, longer if it's during regular commute hours. That being said, the commute from Woodland wouldn't be much better. Depending on what you can afford, you can find horse property and comfortable neighborhoods a lot closer to UCDMC.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 PM

323 posts, read 1,008,176 times
Some people have obviously never stepped foot in Woodland. Woodland is plenty safe.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:16 PM

762 posts, read 2,029,902 times
Woodland is fine, maybe slight concern if child in high school. The gangs only like to shoot each other. Innocent bystanders usually aren't hanging out near the thugs.

The commute from Wilton wouldn't be too bad, and what a great deal the parcels are right now. Dixon has what you describe but the traffic could be pretty bad on 80. Maybe Latrobe or Rescue or Orangevale near the 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento