Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,398 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm from NY Long Island. I'd like to move to CA for nicer weather.But I read about pollution with rail yard. What effect will it have on me and my family? Does it rain a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 05:42 PM

86 posts, read 229,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarineLeBaron View Post
Hi,

I'm from NY Long Island. I'd like to move to CA for nicer weather.But I read about pollution with rail yard. What effect will it have on me and my family? Does it rain a lot?
Yes, no, maybe in that order!!!

Come on, seriously, if you want people to help you at least formulate a clear question. What rail yard do you refer to? And how can a rail yard cause pollution. As for raining, just look up climate information at weather.com

Old 03-20-2011, 10:09 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raria View Post
Yes, no, maybe in that order!!!

Come on, seriously, if you want people to help you at least formulate a clear question. What rail yard do you refer to? And how can a rail yard cause pollution. As for raining, just look up climate information at weather.com

Locomotives use diesel engines. A large railyard has several idling at any given time. They now use "scrubbers" at railyards to filter particulates from diesel emissions to improve the air quality.

http://www.sacbreathe.org/Local%20St...ember%2007.pdf

Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM

86 posts, read 229,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Locomotives use diesel engines. A large railyard has several idling at any given time. They now use "scrubbers" at railyards to filter particulates from diesel emissions to improve the air quality.

http://www.sacbreathe.org/Local%20St...ember%2007.pdf
But there are no homes directly adjacent to those Railyards and none planned.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Davis Yard runs through most of downtown Roseville--most of the properties directly adjacent are commercial or industrial, but there are hundreds of homes within a block or two, or right across Roseville Road from the tracks; the community of Antelope is separated from the yards by Roseville Road and a sound wall. Exhaust from locomotives is something to consider, and you can definitely smell the creosote and diesel exhaust along Roseville Road and Vernon Street in high summer. There are some open dirt areas in the yards area now that used to be yard tracks (when UP took over the railroad they ripped out part of the yard) plus there are all the solvents, fuel dumps, and assorted chemicals involved in the repair and maintenance of diesel-electric locomotives. I'm sure that things are cleaner there now than in the days of steam locomotives, but when I was a kid I'd walk past the yards and see big pools of multicolored chemical soup on the open ground (back when Antelope was still a series of fenced-off lots with DANGER UNEXPLODED BOMBS signs.) Basically the same stuff Sacramento has been dealing with over the multi-year cleanup process in the old SP and WP shops complexes--except Roseville is still an active facility.

I don't know if it's a deal breaker or not in terms of toxicity--do some research. I wouldn't grow a vegetable patch in former Yards soil, but I wouldn't let it stop me from moving into the neighborhood if I liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento