Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,995 times

Advertisements

Stick to the ****ing ozarks man your pessimistic midwestern bull**** is not wanted nor needed here. Go hate on somebody else and quit twisting our ****ing gonads after a crushing defeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 12:34 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
So, after reading all of the comments by the Maloof's, Stern and Kevin Johnson, I'd have to say the prospects for a downtown arena appear rather bleak.
And I couldn't be happier. Pound that last nail into the trainwreck and let's pretend it never happened. As to "Why can't we do this at ARCO"... well, uh, yeah. This would be why. The biggest piece of leverage was the Kings leaving, which according to Sterns is probably off the table now that the Maloofs intentionally scuttled the project and wasted everyone's time and money. Kudos to Johnson. He may be incapable of learning from history, but at least he knows not to be fooled twice.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:04 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Sad day for sac. With the kings now poised to leave Arco will have lost its anchor tenant and will be empty a majority of the year. In addition to tax revenue lost from NBA events, there will be millions lost from charities involving the Maloofs and Kings players. Never mind the fact that the rail yards will never be developed in our life times.

But hey we sure showed those billionaires and ball playing tattoo thugs didn't we?

I suppose I was dreaming thinking Sac could actually step up into the world of respectable metropolis. Reality is, it is just a suburban cowtown. Always has been, always will be. And in the end, as usual, you will have to travel to the bay area for quality urban entertainment venues, if you are into that.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:27 AM

182 posts, read 323,335 times
There is a lot I love about Sac, but I've never been to a place so utterly backwards and resistant to change. Hello, Sac is NOT a small town any longer. You may wish it to be, but it's not. It's a metro of 2.5 mil people. Yet still, countless people in this area refuse to acknowledge this statistical fact.

Yes, let's shoot down an arena that will clean up this dump and disgrace of a downtown. Let's shoot down a plan that will revitalize the local economy. Let's shoot down an arena that will clean up that disgusting eyesoar that is a blight to this otherwise interesting and ecclectic city. The reaction from some people here is disgraceful.

Why did you care? Not penny of sales tax was proposed as an increase. Not one dime in property tax. NOTHING from your pocket. NOTHING. What, did you fear increases to the public parking fees you never pay? You didn't park downtown anyways - ever. You're not out midtown spending money - ever. And if you were, you'd know that there are countless areas you could park for little to nothing and walk to your destination.

So here we are. 2.5 mil people and growing. Yet we're "small" and we'll keep it that way. In reality, we're becoming LA north - a sprawling metropolis with no real core and bad air quality. Next thing you know, people will complain that a private contractor is using his own money to build a downtown condo tower.

Wait, that already happened.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
There is a lot I love about Sac, but I've never been to a place so utterly backwards and resistant to change. Hello, Sac is NOT a small town any longer. You may wish it to be, but it's not. It's a metro of 2.5 mil people. Yet still, countless people in this area refuse to acknowledge this statistical fact.

Yes, let's shoot down an arena that will clean up this dump and disgrace of a downtown. Let's shoot down a plan that will revitalize the local economy. Let's shoot down an arena that will clean up that disgusting eyesoar that is a blight to this otherwise interesting and ecclectic city. The reaction from some people here is disgraceful.

Why did you care? Not penny of sales tax was proposed as an increase. Not one dime in property tax. NOTHING from your pocket. NOTHING. What, did you fear increases to the public parking fees you never pay? You didn't park downtown anyways - ever. You're not out midtown spending money - ever. And if you were, you'd know that there are countless areas you could park for little to nothing and walk to your destination.

So here we are. 2.5 mil people and growing. Yet we're "small" and we'll keep it that way. In reality, we're becoming LA north - a sprawling metropolis with no real core and bad air quality. Next thing you know, people will complain that a private contractor is using his own money to build a downtown condo tower.

Wait, that already happened.
Thats how SacraNIMBY is. There were people in "hip" and "vibrant" midtown who protested a holiday ice rink. That was when I realized that a large portion of the town consists of boring kill joys who really get some sort of sick pleasure in nickle and diming every little thing. But hey, that's Sac. Penny wise, dollar stupid.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The Maloofs are jerks. The folks pushing the arena plan are also jerks.

Focus on the rip-off, not the ‘bad’ Maloofs | Game to 100
Gee, that article really proved a point, didn't it? The author stated nothing about the costs, profit sharing, the reason for the increased contribution that Stern requested....nothing. You posted that solely to posit your position that somehow the city of Sac was in the midst of a mugging.

Sorry, but all businesses operate in this fashion. All of them. There is give and take, push and pull, negotiation and counter negotiation. The boogey men hunters were out looking for some hidden cost that proved Sac was being heisted, but there were none. None more than occur in any business transaction that occurs Monday-Friday of every busines week.

But this is a government town, so people would not get that. Name a proposition: Development on the river. Stadium. Expansion of light rail. Anything. You'll find throngs of people railing against it here. Throngs of them.

There are 2 types of people in the world. People that say "we can" and people that say "we can't". Unfortunately in Sac the former are outnumbered by the latter.

Last edited by NewtoSD?; 04-14-2012 at 08:47 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Thats how SacraNIMBY is. There were people in "hip" and "vibrant" midtown who protested a holiday ice rink. That was when I realized that a large portion of the town consists of boring kill joys who really get some sort of sick pleasure in nickle and diming every little thing. But hey, that's Sac. Penny wise, dollar stupid.
You are so right. So many things I love about my city, but the backwards thinking sure isn't one of them. So much wasted potential here.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:45 AM

Wburg likes to call the Maloofs jerks, even though the Maloof family gives more to Sacramento financially in one year, than he has in his whole life. Yea what jerks putting millions of dollars into local charity and what jerks of the players for following suit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
You are so right. So many things I love about my city, but the backwards thinking sure isn't one of them. So much wasted potential here.
It's not your city. It's the gooberment workers city. Don't ever forget that. Sacramental's theme is protect pensions at all cost and build or upgrade a museum once in a while to keep the masses at bay. Outside of that, it will never grow or reach it's true potential. Too many regressive thinking people. It's funny I have had people from corn belt cities lament to me on how "lame" Sacramento seems. My friend from Chicago came for a visit and said "For a capitol city in between Tahoe and SF I expected so much more." A buddy from LA noted that Sac was just Fresno with Riverfront and a capitol corridor. When I offered midtown, he responed with "tower district". Guess he was not that far off.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:59 AM

660 posts, read 1,081,995 times
**** the maloofs

Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
It wasn't public opposition that killed this deal, it was the Maloofs. They were responding to a horribly bad deal even by their standards (and we're talking about guys who have managed to fritter away most of their family fortune in the past decade.) Blaming imaginary hordes of naysayers won't change that.

Sacramento is a city, a great city, not a small town--in fact, it was never the quiet farm town that a lot of pro-growth naysayers constantly claim it is. Downtown is looking better than it has in decades, with more places to go, things to do, and even places to live, and there is little reason to think that trajectory will change now that a potential parasite to the central city's vitality has been plucked from our side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento