Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 AM

85 posts, read 432,827 times

Advertisements

The newer part of Rocklin, Whitney Ranch, is much more diverse that the older more established part. Roseville is more diverse than Rocklin overall.
However both of these areas are no where near what you will be used to coming from NJ. Closest thing would be the Bay Area.
However you have to know what you want, This area is great for family activities and the school system is really good. Its much more laid back than the bay area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 PM

405 posts, read 1,346,062 times
"prefer they find diversity somewhere else?" Well, you can assume anything you like WBURG, but I simply answered the question honestly. I live in Rocklin. If you're 'of color' and want diversity, nobody here will tell you it's prevalent. That's just being honest. To my knowledge, neither I nor anyone else here suggested the OP move somewhere else because we don't want diversity.

Nice try, though...

Old 03-03-2015, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,158 times
Hi every one, I jus moved to Roseville from Seattle, Im soo bored here, im looking for friends .

Old 03-03-2015, 12:56 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikwiks10 View Post
Hi everyone,

My family and I are moving from NJ to the Sacramento valley and are pretty nervous about this move across the country! This would be our first move with a toddler.

We live currently in a very cosmopolitan and multi-cultural part of NJ and are hoping to find something similar on the west coast. We have a large Indian community here with a lot of Asian restaurants and proximity to NYC and Philli. We love it here but are so done with the weather and the roughness of the east coast that going west seems like a refreshing breath of ocean air.

Just wanted to make sure that as we fantasize about a better quality of life in the Roseville/Rockin area, we aren't deluding ourselves!

Hence this post and need for some solid advice. I am going to be working in Roseville and my hubby mostly will be commuting by Amtrak to SF. We are looking to rent a town home or a good 3 bedroom in a family oriented community with all the amenities and close to schools, highways, entertainment, etc.

I have looked at Woodstream Town homes and town homes in Cirby way. Any reviews are greatly appreciated.
Also how about the Roseville and Rocking city based daycare/Montessori/pre-schools? Any good recommendations for a superior level Montessori?
How close are Indian restaurants in Yuba city viz Roseville and Rockin?
Lastly, is there a large south Asian community in these two areas?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I appreciate your help and feedback.
There is now a large enough south Asian community in Roseville for it to have a Sikh temple, on 1090 Main Street (yes, that is what the street is called, even though it is not that wide) near Foothill Boulevard.

Indian cuisine? In a community still dominated by chains, the following places are trying:
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...oseville%2C+CA

Last edited by NickB1967; 03-03-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikwiks10 View Post
Hi everyone,

Also how about the Roseville and Rocking city based daycare/Montessori/pre-schools? Any good recommendations for a superior level Montessori?
How close are Indian restaurants in Yuba city viz Roseville and Rockin?
Lastly, is there a large south Asian community in these two areas?
Pikwik, have you looked at Davis? Very multicultural, excellent Montessori and other private schools, as well as a top-rated public school system, and an "easier" commute to SF. It would also mean commuting to Roseville for your job, though; probably about 40 minutes each way. Housing in Davis is insanely expensive, though maybe not more than NJ.

Is there any way you and your spouse could land jobs closer than 100 miles to each other, though? It would (IMHO) be SO much better for you as a family to spend more time with your little one than to be on the freeway so much. How did you decide on Roseville?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:16 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Pikwik,
The OP is from 4/2011.
Last Activity for this user was: 03-07-2014

Old 03-08-2015, 03:34 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
The OP is from 4/2011.
Last Activity for this user was: 03-07-2014
and she still lives in NJ..

Old 03-10-2015, 01:44 PM

119 posts, read 285,540 times
There is a big dividing line which is Hwy50 that approximately divides white from integrated neighborhoods in Sac.

Above 50 (places like Folsom, Roseville, Rocklin etc.) are overwhelming white. Below 50 places like South Sac, Pocket, Elk Grove etc.) are much more mixed.

The white vs mixed situation however is a double edged sword. Whilst quite a few people like a mixed environment, those areas don't appreciate as much ...

Old 03-17-2015, 12:50 AM

239 posts, read 326,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontKnowIfImComingOrGoing View Post
There is a big dividing line which is Hwy50 that approximately divides white from integrated neighborhoods in Sac.

Above 50 (places like Folsom, Roseville, Rocklin etc.) are overwhelming white. Below 50 places like South Sac, Pocket, Elk Grove etc.) are much more mixed.

The white vs mixed situation however is a double edged sword. Whilst quite a few people like a mixed environment, those areas don't appreciate as much ...
It says a lot about the racism in CA is what it says.. its not direct and in your face but its there. That summed up my whole time there.

And no NJ guy, this is no place to come if you're italian either or mostly mediterranean.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,124 times
Hi pikwiks10,

Were you able to get the community in Sacramento as you wished? I am in the same situation as you were once, can you please respond to this message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento