Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:47 PM

41 posts, read 122,617 times

Advertisements

Basing it on the factors the best area will be West Sacramento by the New Developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 05:11 PM

137 posts, read 268,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
Hello, I have a family of six and prior to moving to Sacramento we lived in San Francisco. The Bay Area is a wonderful place and if you had zero or minimal debt you could live decently as a renter... unlikely as a home owner (an old rule of thumb is to take your annual salary and multiply it by three to give you a rough idea of how much house you can afford). Assuming good to excellent credit and money for a down payment you can buy a new or newer home in a well kept neighborhood with good to excellent schools in Sacramento and surrounding suburbs. You did not mention where you would be working in Sacramento. I would be more worried about traffic. Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, Loomis,etc are solid choices if you are employed nearby. otherwise commuting along The Capitol City Freeway (Business 80) is a nightmare at rushhour. Similarly, Highway 99 linking South Sacramento, Elk Grove, and neighboring communities to employment hubs is awful. Commutes along Highway 50, while still congested, would be the lesser of traffic evils. I may get negative feedback about the following but it's just my humble opinion. Unlike SF where the majority of people dress as they like and yet know how to dress for the right occasion (i.e symphony performances, the opera, high end restaurants) people in some of the suburbs of Sacramento (some mentioned by other posters here) are "brand conscious." Shopping at Walmart is a no-no, an upscale automobile such as a Beemer, Lexus, Mercedes is preferred and you may want to dress up a bit if you are shopping. While we could afford a more showy lifestyle my wife and I are more practical and while we do not live in a "prestige" address the neighborhood we chose is safe,diverse, has excellent schools including a high performing elementary school and even a club house with pools (very important for those hot Sac summers). Best wishes in finding the right fit for you..plenty to choose from.
Hello u225615,

Thanks for your insight.

Are you saying though that one could live decently in SF on $90k renting for a family of 4? I am understanding reading from other posts here that that will be impossible or even suicidal in the Bay Area. That was why I began looking in Sacramento.

The potential employer is the Sutter Health System, not sure yet my exact location.

Yes, nearness to work as well as decent school are high priorities; although my children are still very young for high school worries - 6 and 1 year olds.

So people in Sacramento consider grocery-shopping in Wal Mart insulting or belittling? Of course I am not talking about buying clothes but grocery? Wow!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 PM

409 posts, read 957,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ1 View Post
Hello u225615,

Thanks for your insight.

Are you saying though that one could live decently in SF on $90k renting for a family of 4? I am understanding reading from other posts here that that will be impossible or even suicidal in the Bay Area. That was why I began looking in Sacramento.

The potential employer is the Sutter Health System, not sure yet my exact location.

Yes, nearness to work as well as decent school are high priorities; although my children are still very young for high school worries - 6 and 1 year olds.

So people in Sacramento consider grocery-shopping in Wal Mart insulting or belittling? Of course I am not talking about buying clothes but grocery? Wow!
If you really have your heart set on the Bay area and SF in particular it is possible. However, please proceed with the following mindset...you'll need to ensure you dont have debt (credit cards, auto payments, loans etc), dont accrue debt, are completely in agreement about not owning a home(at least in SF) yet willing to pay rent that is equivalent to paying on a mortgage for a 400,000 dollar home at today's interest rates (BTW 400k in Sacramento will get you a very nice home). No pets (many rentals stipulate no pets), good credit (to pass the credit check from the landlord) and a hefty deposit...READY?

I would try to find a rental in the Sunset/Parkside/Richmond District. You should be able to find a 2br 1 bath flat for 2k or even a small 2 br/1 bath home (800-1000 square foot home). Most blocks are very modest in appearance by suburban standards however these neighborhoods are considered among the safer areas in the city and family friendly (in SF looks can be deceiving). They also have the better public schools. Be aware that SF schools operate on a lottery so that it is possible that you may literally live across the street from a neighborhood school but your child may be placed in a school across town (yes enrollment in public schools was a stressful time).

I would look at craigslist for rental homes

Avoid having a car (public transportation in SF is very good especially in the above districts which are served by streetcars and buses)

If you need childcare that will take a chunk out of your paycheck but there are, or at least were some good relatively inexpensive before and after school care programs at Ulloa elementary and at Little Star Preschool.

BTW I didnt mean to give the impression that people within Sacramento are brand conscious. There are a lot of down to earth friendly folks living in Sac and some of the surrounding communities. However, some people in the wealthier suburbs are very cognizant of how you dress, what you drive, etc.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:52 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ1 View Post

I live in Folsom which is considered one of the better suburbs. While there are people who display their "wealth" or wanna be/pretend to be "wealth", the majority of people have no problem shopping at the big box stores (Wal-Mart, Target, Winco, Costco, etc) for the best price. It's really no big deal.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:38 PM

41 posts, read 122,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I live in Folsom which is considered one of the better suburbs. While there are people who display their "wealth" or wanna be/pretend to be "wealth", the majority of people have no problem shopping at the big box stores (Wal-Mart, Target, Winco, Costco, etc) for the best price. It's really no big deal.
Folsom is good place to live too, near the Outlet stores.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:43 PM

8 posts, read 11,892 times
Quote:
I don't shop at Wal-Mart if I can possibly avoid. Extremely unethical company. Target is bad, too, but not quite as bad, but I try to stay out of those places as much as possible.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
I'll pay more money for better customer service and a nicer clientle, not a fan of walmart myself. But lots of other people are. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:28 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
I'm not a Wal-mart fan either. But many people are, even in Folsom.
Years ago, I case managed their work comp claims so I have somewhat of an insiders view on how the employees are treated along with how some injured employees try to milk the system. Neither situation is good.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,308 times
I am looking to relocate back home to Sac as well. I'm currently in NC, and I can tell you, 30% humidity is nothing to our 100 degree, 100% humidity. 30% would be more than welcomed!!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:07 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
Quote:
And not all big box stores are created equal: "The average annual household income for shoppers at Costco is $96,000." Costco drives deeper into Washington area - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento