Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 AM

28 posts, read 178,319 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

My wife and I will be moving to Sacramento on the 1st of July. We have already spent a good amount of time looking at places and driving around the Carmichael, Cirtrus Heights, and Rancho Cordova area. I have searched the forum regarding Rancho Cordova and have noticed that people have said that old Rancho Cordova is "ghetto". I am not familiar enough with Rancho Cordova to know what is the old part of town. Is the area north of 50 close to Sunrise considered a good or bad part of Rancho Cordova? We have found a few nice rental homes that we are going to look at in that area. How is the area west of sunrise and south of highway 50? We are still looking at Carmichael and Citrus Heights however Rancho Cordova is closer to the freeway for commuting. I am an independent consultant and will be traveling throughout the greater Sacramento area for work. Any input or information would be greatly appreciatied!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 11:33 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
First question is - DO you have kids? Because no matter new area or old in Rancho Codova the schools are awful

THe Old Rancho - which I think should be called ORIGINAL RAncho COrdova is the majority of that area. There are new developments that people tell me are great - but in my opinion I wouldn't live anywhere near there.

SO if the house is a couple years old then that's the new areas - other then that it's old Rancho.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 PM

We do not have kids at the moment. Kids are at least a year away. The plan is to rent somewhere for about a year then buy in an area like Folsom or Roseville. Using the next year to decide exactly where we want to be. We have found a house to rent off of Coloma and Sunrise right behind the mall. The area looks ok. Seems like the further west you get the "older" the town gets. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:06 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,529 times
Although Rancho isnt the best, it is getting much better. They are building a lot of nice new housing south of 50, and there is a skyscraper planned by a light rail station. They also want to improve public transit and get their own streetcar system. Since they have become incorporated it has really improved, and should keep improving.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:50 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Well if it's temporary and you have no kids - I say go for it

And then find a place you love in the Greater Sac Areas - there are some wonderful places

Old 06-06-2007, 12:51 PM

179 posts, read 768,332 times
I do not live in Rancho, but there are nicer areas, such as Gold River. I consider that Rancho, but it's between Rancho and FairOaks and is only a couple miles to the 50. If you don't have any kids and you are set on living there, you will have to drive around and find a place that doesn't look "ghetto". I associate Rancho with low income families, but maybe that's just because the areas I have seen aren't very nice (except Gold River). There is also Anatolia (sp?) or Mather Field which seem a little better than Rancho proper.

You really should consider Carmichael or Fair Oaks. If you are driving south on Sunrise to the 50 you will run into traffic during commute times, but I think you'd be more happy overall with those neighborhoods. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:34 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
I live in Rancho, in the new area south of Douglas. It is in the Elk Grove School District, not the Cordova school district.

The city has great plans, and is anticipating having a downtown area and full city services, instead of being a suburb. Lots of homes have already been built, and the pace of construction is terrific. The population is expanding from a current 57,000 to 180,000 over the next 15 years, and 350.000 within the next 25-30 years. Currently extensive effort is being done to get the infrastructure in place.

I believe it will be a great place to live, and decided to locate here when moving from Ohio last year.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:43 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have scheduled a few houses to look at in Carmichael and Rancho Cordova. Hopefully one of them will be worth taking. Now I need to research the back up plan of commuting to the Bay Area from Sac in case work drys up.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 18,172 times
I live in the new stone creek community in rancho and I love it.. its quiet and safe... rancho cordova is changing for the better !

Old 06-08-2008, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 11,248 times
Default Are you serious?

I have no idea how long you've been out here, but Rancho Cordova is nowhere close to Douglas or Elk Grove. Get your geography straight before you give someone your opinion of where to live. You don't even know where you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I live in Rancho, in the new area south of Douglas. It is in the Elk Grove School District, not the Cordova school district.

The city has great plans, and is anticipating having a downtown area and full city services, instead of being a suburb. Lots of homes have already been built, and the pace of construction is terrific. The population is expanding from a current 57,000 to 180,000 over the next 15 years, and 350.000 within the next 25-30 years. Currently extensive effort is being done to get the infrastructure in place.

I believe it will be a great place to live, and decided to locate here when moving from Ohio last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento