Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 07:22 PM

170 posts, read 251,950 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We will likely decide on a place in Folsom for Aug/Sept and I work in the North Highlands area. We are moving from The Bay area (commute=75miles one way) although we are from Buffalo, NY and only in CA about 18mos.

After we apartment hunted this weekend, I did the drive from the general area of Folsom to my office. It was about 330-4p on Saturday and there seemed to be some traffic, shopping maybe? My GPS had me on 50 for only one exit, then to a street called Madison which took me to Watt right in North Highlands. It was stop and go with the lights but still only took about 35 minutes.

Anyone know what that looks like at about 715am? I start at 8am and done at 430p. And, is there a better way to go than the GPS way?

I know Roseville may have been an easier drive...(actually maybe Davis, as we are a bit liberal)..but we love Placerville and Cameron Park so I'll fight the traffic to work to be closer to play.

Thanks y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 07:30 PM

90 posts, read 201,409 times
I used to drive Madison from Dewey to 80 everyday at about that time. That portion (which is a very small portion of your drive) took between 15-20 minutes in heavy traffic. Watt was just as bad if not worse (I drove Watt from 80 to Arden...so this may not be as accurate). In other words, I think this would be a miserable drive. If I were you, I would focus more on Roseville or some areas of Natomas if you want to be in the suburbs (ask around a lot if you want Natomas, some areas are great, others have been hijacked by crime).

Mind you, I haven't driven either of the routes I mentioned in the last five or six years, so it may have improved, but I doubt it.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustRN View Post
Hi there,

We will likely decide on a place in Folsom for Aug/Sept and I work in the North Highlands area. We are moving from The Bay area (commute=75miles one way) although we are from Buffalo, NY and only in CA about 18mos.

After we apartment hunted this weekend, I did the drive from the general area of Folsom to my office. It was about 330-4p on Saturday and there seemed to be some traffic, shopping maybe? My GPS had me on 50 for only one exit, then to a street called Madison which took me to Watt right in North Highlands. It was stop and go with the lights but still only took about 35 minutes.

Anyone know what that looks like at about 715am? I start at 8am and done at 430p. And, is there a better way to go than the GPS way?
The busiest commute hours are between 7-8 am, so if you can get on the road at 650, it would be better than 715. You can always stop & have coffee (or donuts) once you get closer to your job. I think the commute will be closer to 45-60 minutes during commute hours.

There's several different routes you can take. Many people coming from Shingle Springs/El Dorado Hills, come down Green Valley Rd, then over Folsom Lake Crossing. When you get to Folsom Auburn Rd, you go left, then turn right on Madison. Just past American River Canyon Drive (Scotts Seafood), the road splits into Madison & Greenback. Greenback turns into Elkhorn Blvd at Hwy 80. You can take both of them all the way to Watt. I prefer Greenback/Elkhorn, as it seems to be faster (more lanes for longer distances), but either will work.

You could also take Hwy 50, and exit at Folsom-Auburn Rd (that way you don't have to backtrack), or exit at Hazel or Sunrise. But there is a lot more traffic on both Hazel & Sunrise, and I believe there is still construction on Hazel.

Welcome to Folsom! If you're interested in learning more about our community, let me know.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times
That commute is pretty bad. Either a long roundabout way via freeway or an "as the crow flies" drive down Greenback or Madison and going stoplight to stoplight to stoplight.

Are you sure Roseville / Antelope is out of the question?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:19 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
If you are too liberal for Roseville/Rocklin/Granite Bay, I would probably look at East Sac, Sierra Oaks, McKinley Park, Curtis Park, Midtown and Arden Park. All of those areas are much closer to where you will work, all would involve fighting a lot less traffic than commuting from Folsom to North Highlands.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 PM

thank you all. Still looking..considering Antelope still, and have also heard good things about Arden Park. I can't talk hubby into Midtown. Its much like where we lived in Buffalo and he is ready for a change...for some reason, he missed the homeless people sleeping on the porch, the gentleman who peed in public at our roundabout every moring during the traffic, the prophet on the corner, and the asking for money schizophrenic....I thought they all were a fair trade off for the walkability and music and arts scene.

I think is country guy background has finally rubbed off on my after all these years though...as I find open spaces, corn, cows, etc nice to come home to after work...omg.
I guess we aren't super liberal...but not conservative. We are just...easy going I guess...marry who you want, be 420 if you want, get tattoos if you want..or don't..live and let live.

I really appreciate all the input. Its hugely helpful!!

Nick, I did look at a place in roseville and the drive from work up to the mall scared the crap out of me! I can handly hard core freeway and residental stop-n-go...but those folks trying to get to that huge mall at 530 PM were out for blood! LOL!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
You won't find much in the way of open spaces, corn or cows in Antelope, let alone Arden Park. Tract homes as far as the eye can see--in Arden Park mostly the 50s/60s variety, in Antelope mostly pretty recent because of the train full of munitions that blew up in the railyard there and showered the whole neighborhood with bombs and shells--when I was a kid riding my bike through there, there were still big areas marked DO NOT ENTER--UNEXPLODED BOMBS all over. Now it's tract homes. You have to get a lot farther out to hit actual farms than that, if that's what you are after.

Albany sounds a bit more hardcore than Midtown. Or look at the northeastern quarter of Midtown, the western half of East Sac or the northern portion of Curtis Park--the quieter edges of the central city. Check it out with your own eyes first--Midtown is no farther to farmland and natural settings than Arden Park!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Antelope wouldn't be that bad. The commute to North Highlands wouldn't be fairly painless. Parts of Citrus Heights might also work. My own feeling is that if I were working in North Highlands, I would probably want to live off either Madison Ave, Watt Avenue or Roseville Roads and avoid the freeways if I could. I definitely wouldn't commute from Folsom.

If you are looking for something with a more country feel still reasonably close to North Highlands, I would be looking more at Elverta or maybe Rio Linda. Those areas have some of the most affordable horse property in the region and lots of open space. These neighborhoods are more blue collar than Folsom, but if you are into 420 and tattoos you will fit in well.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:19 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Not to mention meth and medieval weapons!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 AM

Well....we think we have a winner. Some part of Natomas. Which means nothing to me since I am just learning Sac..LOL. The property in Folsom had a sister property there and its only 11 miles from work and took me less than 20 minutes to get there...leaving North Highlands at about 4:35pm. I though...cool.

Its a bit off the beaten path..closer to the river..but it seems like a great fit for the time being. We stopped and had dinner at the little Black Bear Diner, looked around a bit. It'll work. I love the proximity to downtown and hubby loves that its close to Davis/Dixon open spaces and still a reasonable trip to the East Bay to see friends. Its on the West side of I 5 and close to 80.

Its got nice green space, accepts our pups, and doesnt break the bank.

Now we can start the fun of seeing all the Sac sights, visiting the restaurants, finding local treasures,..oh..and an occasional trip to Red Hawk

Thanks for all your help!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento