Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 AM

4 posts, read 3,959 times

Advertisements

I am new to these forums, so apologize if this is a repeated type of post. I read through many of the suggestions for other posters, but some of the posts were from 2009 and not sure how relevant the responses are now.

So here's our situation, we've lived in the DC metro area for 14 years and my husband's work is now taking him to Sacramento. We will not be moving until late June when the school year ends. We have two young elementary aged children (1st and 3rd grade), so are looking for a family-friendly, community feel, with good quality schools.

I seem to really like Davis from what I've read, but the housing prices are higher than we'd hoped to spend. We'd like to keep our price range under 550K for a 3-4 bedroom home (have older college aged kids that will be living with us during summers). I've looked at Land Park and it sounds like a nice area for families, but I think my husband especially is ready to leave the city life (he's liking Placerville and Auburn which seem too remote for me and I'm not finding real estate listings that I like).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 12:35 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,693 times
I didn't really see a question in your post so I'll wing it.

It sounds like you have done your research and know which areas to look at. I would also add the eastern edge of the suburbs (Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom, Granite Bay, El Dorado Hills). There are some smaller towns like Loomis, Cameron Park and probably some more that are nice too from what I've heard.

Sounds like you and your husband have some thinking to do as to what you both want. Once you make that decision it will be easy.

Here are a couple of search engines for schools. The school performance maps one seems to be a few years out dated but it seems to still be within reason with the more updated websites. That website happens to be very easy to use.

Schooldigger.com
Schoolperformancemaps.com

Some other things to consider are: location of your husband's job and the commute; location of your job if you're getting one.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:48 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
I'm not sure if I would call Land Park "the city life." A lot of people coming from the East Coast expect that a neighborhood like Land Park, relatively close to downtown, must be very urbanized, with cheek-to-jowl row houses and midrise condos. It's not--primarily it is a tree-lined neighborhood of single-family homes, more like what you'd find in an outer suburb of DC. Take a look in person (or at least scroll around in Google Street View) before you rule out such a pleasantly suburban place so close to the workplace.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:21 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
There are plenty of places available for your budget. The biggest thing I would recommend is coming out here and driving around the city to see what appeals to you. You'll also need to look at where your husband will work and what commute he's willing to make. While the traffic here doesn't compare to the traffic in DC, you don't have the option of the Metro system like in DC.

For schools, you will find that there are many pockets in the city with great elementary schools, with the ratings dropping off as you get into middle and high school. School Rankings for the Sacramento metropolitan area, California

I'm in the Eastern suburbs with a 1st grader and love it. But you're coming from a very different environment and nothing will beat you taking a look around to see what feels right to you. I spent a lot of time on real estate web sites looking at neighborhoods and housing when we were considering moving here 5 years ago, but completely changed where I wanted to live after I got out here and saw the areas first hand.

Good luck with your move.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Thank you both! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

@Think about it, I'm sorry to not be more clear in my post --I didn't really state the question well enough. You guessed correct, I was asking for town suggestions that fit the bill for good schools, community feel and family-friendly near Sacramento. I now see that this isn't much information to go on so will try to give some more details about what we are looking for.

The schools really matter a lot to me is what I'm realizing. I grew up in a very small, liberal college town and although the community was wonderful, the schools were not good. The desire to find good schools within a nice, safe community are what has led me to looking at Davis. But I know that there have to be other similar communities/towns near Sacramento that have less expensive housing, so am asking for those suggestions.

I like having a Trader Joes near by, and activities for the kids (ballet, Tai Kwon Dao, children's theater, etc.). When I was growing up in my small town we had to drive to other nearby cities for dance classes, etc., so I'm trying to avoid that if I can by finding a town/community that has lots of activities for children available locally. I run on trails, and do a lot of other outdoor fitness activities (work related for me) and husband is a cyclist. We are both socially liberal, but not maybe not quite liberal enough for Davis (husband's concern).

I think my husband really likes the idea of living in Placerville, Auburn, but I am wondering if I will feel like a fish out of water in these towns, and miss the amenities in a larger community. I will definitely look at Land Park more --I didn't realize that it doesn't really feel "city". Good to know and the housing prices are better for us and the homes have more character/charm.

Thanks for any other ideas!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:43 PM

Thank you, Nina! We were thinking we'd wait until spring break to come out and drive around areas, but I am trying to talk my husband into doing this over winter break. I am realizing that I need as much time as possible to get a feel for the entire Sac area.

thanks for the school info.!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Thinking about the Washington DC metro area, what type of area in metro Washington would you be looking for in Sacramento, as an equivalent area?

I know the DC metro area pretty well, so if I understood what you would like to have there, I probably could point out what would be a similar type of area in Sacramento.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:14 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Similar to Davis (small, liberal college town with relatively wealthy population and good schools) in the Sacramento Area? No, no really. UC Davis is the only large campus in the region except Sacramento State, which is in Sacramento itself, or Sacramento City College--there are a bunch of small private colleges but nothing else in commuting range is a "college town" (the next closest is Chico, a valley town with a state college.) Politically, the region is fairly conservative, the farther east you go the more conservative, but if you aren't familiar with western conservatives they're kind of a different breed from the sort you'd find in the south or the east coast. More of a "mind your own business" mindset predominates. Sacramento is the exception--it's less liberal than the really-liberal Bay Area but more liberal than the foothills and farm cities of the valley.

Land Park/Curtis Park have a lot of what you're looking for--there are community centers for dance classes and kid-centered events, a major park (Land Park itself) with a zoo, golf course and play parks, and a bike/jogging trail along the Sacramento River that runs all the way downtown (and then 22 miles inland following the American River up to Folsom.) Sacramento is very flat, and sunny about 300 days a year, making it ideal for cycling, including bike commuting. There is also a light-rail line that runs downtown, not as comprehensive as the Metro but useful for commuting.

The closest Trader Joe's is in East Sacramento, but there are some other alternatives, like Sprouts Market on Land Park Drive, Raley's (a locally owned supermarket chain that typically has really excellent produce) and a number of Asian markets (Land Park has large Japanese and Chinese populations) and a five-acre farmer's market under Highway 50 every Sunday morning.

Auburn is a long way out--a long commute, there is one commuter train per day that goes downtown, but it's a very small town in a very conservative county. Auburn has a lot of charm, but it's a town of 15,000 people so a lot of the amenities you're looking for may not be present. Placerville is even farther out, commuting is by bus (no passenger trains out that way anymore.)

Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Auburn would be great, if you guys were working in Roseville.

I would still look at Roseville, Rocklin, Loomis, or Granite Bay. All great schools, but they range from fairly urban (Roseville) to mostly rural (Loomis). The commute from Roseville or Rocklin to downtown isn't very far, and Loomis is just the next town up 80, but is a bit far. Granite Bay to downtown is a bit of a pain, cause you've got to add another 5 miles down either Douglas to 80 or down Auburn-Folsom to US-50.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 AM

154 posts, read 691,810 times
Default Davis is your best option

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiwmom View Post

The schools really matter a lot to me is what I'm realizing. I grew up in a very small, liberal college town and although the community was wonderful, the schools were not good. The desire to find good schools within a nice, safe community are what has led me to looking at Davis. But I know that there have to be other similar communities/towns near Sacramento that have less expensive housing, so am asking for those suggestions.

I like having a Trader Joes near by, and activities for the kids (ballet, Tai Kwon Dao, children's theater, etc.). When I was growing up in my small town we had to drive to other nearby cities for dance classes, etc., so I'm trying to avoid that if I can by finding a town/community that has lots of activities for children available locally. I run on trails, and do a lot of other outdoor fitness activities (work related for me) and husband is a cyclist. We are both socially liberal, but not maybe not quite liberal enough for Davis (husband's concern).

It really sounds like you are talking about Davis here. At 550K, you should be able to find an adequate but not luxurious property in Davis (look at the MLS websites). I'm not sure what would be TOO socially liberal about Davis. It's not Berkeley, if that is what worries you (less urban than Berkeley, less in-your-face homelessness and crime). There are both a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods in Davis now, and outstanding after school sports and activities for children. UC Davis hosts a number of cultural and educational events. The greenbelt on the north side of town is a great jogging/walking resource and everyone cycles on the extensive bike path system.

I think my husband really likes the idea of living in Placerville, Auburn, but I am wondering if I will feel like a fish out of water in these towns, and miss the amenities in a larger community. I will definitely look at Land Park more --I didn't realize that it doesn't really feel "city". Good to know and the housing prices are better for us and the homes have more character/charm.
If you are looking for a more liberal environment, then I don't think you will be happy in Placerville. It's got a kind of redneck vibe and doesn't have the child-friendly environment that Davis does. Auburn is a nice town but, like the rest of Placer county, is pretty conservative. Commuting daily to Sac from either Auburn or Placerville will drive you nuts. If you want an eastern suburb, you might look at Loomis, Granite Bay or Folsom for a little easier commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento