Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
In the last 35 years of my life I have hunted, fished, camped and hiked every part of Norcal from the Tehachapis to the OR border and from Nevada to the Pacific.
In the last 6 years of my life I've ridden my motorcycle in every county in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
No way. Bishop is either in the northern part of SoCal or the southern part of CenCal, most likely the latter. Have long been a bit undecided as to whether South Lake Tahoe is in NorCal or CenCal, and SLT is a long way from Bishop.
I agree. Bishop is not NorCal. It's sort of their own area, instead of thinking of themselves as SoCal or Central Cal it's more Eastern Sierra. Historically it as connections with LA county.

Seems you and other Southern Californians have a distorted sense of what WE Northern Californians consider NorCal.

I've grown up in both NorCal and SoCal and I've live in both Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento and Tahoe so I feel I have really good sense of our whole state.

Lake Tahoe is NorCal, period, never ever referred to as Central Cal.

The most southern city on the coast which you can call NorCal is Santa Cruz. Monterey Bay being the dividing point between NorCal and Central Coast. Santa Cruz (city) is on the north end of Monterey Bay - NorCal. Monterey (city) is on the southern end of Monterey Bay, the Northern most city considered the Central Cal Coast. San Francisco Bay (area) is not the Central Coast. Monterey Bay (area) is the Central Coast.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Bay Area people go to Yosemite, Tahoe, Mendocino, the Trinity Alps, various redwood groves up north, even up to Arcata. Ukiah, Redding, whatever. Some people have summer places at Echo Lake or Tahoe or in Trinity County. OP, you sound like you don't really know people who have deep roots in Northern California. Maybe most of the people you know are transplants?
I agree, good post about Northern Californians. Sacramentans travel to the same areas you mention. We probably have more connections to Tahoe, especially South Lake Tahoe than Bay Area folks.

Sacramentans are an outdoorsy bunch: fishing, hunting, camping, kayaking, winter sports, skiing/riding, snow shoeing, we like the sparsely populated areas of Cali, everything north of Sacramento: Mendocino, Tahoe, Shasta, extreme North Coast, Plumas, Lassen, Northern Sacramento Valley.

Yes, we recreate the 350 miles north of us!!....and south to Yosemite.

(In my years living in SoCal, they have a hard time understanding what NorCal is, most importantly, what we consider NorCal.)

Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times
I disagree. "Period".

Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I disagree. "Period".
Okay, we all agree on this; we agree to disagree. This is a fun topic that keeps popping up every so often on CD, just where and why do we carve up the state into different regions and just where do we draw the lines?

Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
Growing up in Northern California the debate (wishful thinking ) was if Northern California and Southern California should split into two states. Central coast never came into the picture. I think that is more of a wine term for a region than anything else.

Back to the thread... I still would like to travel to the northeast corner of the state after watching an episode of California Gold. Thanks Huell! Other than that I have traveled pretty much everywhere else in California.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 PM

65 posts, read 127,081 times
Look up the state of "Jefferson"

motto: in rednexxx(tm) we trusteth

main industry: cannabis sativa

Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,275,986 times
There have been over a hundred efforts to split California into two states. One of the earliest was an attempt by slave-holding Southerners to get California admitted to the Union as two states, North California and South California, with South California as a slave state. This was a decade or so before the Civil War, and there was a lot of debate over slavery in California, including whether it was appropriate for slave-owning Southerners to bring their slaves to California to mine for gold.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
In all the discussions about where the "real" NorCal is, am curious how often folks around the Sacto or Bay areas ever actually venture into the aprox. 350 miles still remaining between them and the OR border (Chico, Redding, Yreka, Modoc County, the North Coast, etc.)? Inland it seems like Marysville is about the northernmost "cutoff" these days for most urbanites, and the rest of "NorCal" is about as out of mind as the Imperial Valley is to SoCal!
When we lived in Marin county and in Sac we drove north on several occassions. We went to the Oregon caves, we visited old neighbors who had moved to Medford and we camped in the Redwoods. I am sure most people living in the bay area venture north from time to time.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I think that Northern California goes down to just beyond Fresno and on the coast down just north of Paso Robles. We have to keep Yosemite and Big Sur for us!!
You really think of NO Ca as Fresno? I would never consider Fresno No Ca. It is the central part of the state. I think of NO Ca as north of the bay area, but not Fresno..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento