Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,980 times

Advertisements

I believe that everyone in the state has been through Bakersfield, CA at one point or another.

I would also say most Nocals have been to Anaheim, and most Socals have been to SF. I doubt northerners have been to, say, Indio, and I doubt people from orange county have ever been to, say, Alturas.

obvious CA vacation destinations are likely utilized by residents of CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 01:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
There have been over a hundred efforts to split California into two states. One of the earliest was an attempt by slave-holding Southerners to get California admitted to the Union as two states, North California and South California, with South California as a slave state. This was a decade or so before the Civil War, and there was a lot of debate over slavery in California, including whether it was appropriate for slave-owning Southerners to bring their slaves to California to mine for gold.
I didn't realize it went back that far but I do know the talk was all about splitting even when I was in college, about a million years ago or something like that. I have loss track of time, maybe it wasn't quite a million.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Okay, we all agree on this; we agree to disagree. This is a fun topic that keeps popping up every so often on CD, just where and why do we carve up the state into different regions and just where do we draw the lines?
Actually where I was going is not about ''drawing lines'', as how huffy a lot of Bay area and even Sacto folks often get, insisting they're part of ''NorCal''... when in fact most of 'em seldom get much beyond that narrow little east/west corridor from S.F. to Tahoe. The remaining 350 miles north of 'em... eh, not so much!

Heck, at least SoCal folks get around a lot more than that!!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
In the last 35 years of my life I have hunted, fished, camped and hiked every part of Norcal from the Tehachapis to the OR border and from Nevada to the Pacific.
LOL! I don't think that Northern Californians would be too pleased with having Bakersfield lumped in with their geographic identity.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 PM

323 posts, read 1,008,582 times
Do most people regularly travel 350 miles? Or would that be considered a special trip? Do people in Boston pop over to Baltimore on a regular basis? This whole premise is kinda of silly. Yes, if you grew up in California you probably took camping trips in the northern part of the state, along with Yosemite.

Point is, California is a big place.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You really think of NO Ca as Fresno? I would never consider Fresno No Ca. It is the central part of the state. I think of NO Ca as north of the bay area, but not Fresno..
I just look at Northern and Southern California. I don't really think of a Central California. Even thought the central valley stretches between both north and south.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:18 PM

323 posts, read 1,008,582 times
"Hey Honey, we're going to Modoc County for the weekend. What's that, you'd rather go to San Francisco, Sonoma, or Tahoe which are only an hour and a half away. Nope, I've got us a room in downtown Alturus, it's a quick 5 hour drive!"

Old 03-07-2013, 02:22 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ozo View Post
Do most people regularly travel 350 miles? Or would that be considered a special trip? Do people in Boston pop over to Baltimore on a regular basis? This whole premise is kinda of silly. Yes, if you grew up in California you probably took camping trips in the northern part of the state, along with Yosemite.
Point is, California is a big place.
I'm pretty sure the folks in Boston don't identify themselves as part of Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento