Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,158 times

Advertisements

In all the discussions about where the "real" NorCal is, am curious how often folks around the Sacto or Bay areas ever actually venture into the aprox. 350 miles still remaining between them and the OR border (Chico, Redding, Yreka, Modoc County, the North Coast, etc.)? Inland it seems like Marysville is about the northernmost "cutoff" these days for most urbanites, and the rest of "NorCal" is about as out of mind as the Imperial Valley is to SoCal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 10:54 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,327 times
I've been all over the north state, almost always on my motorcycle. There are some amazing roads up there.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
In all the discussions about where the "real" NorCal is, am curious how often folks around the Sacto or Bay areas ever actually venture into the aprox. 350 miles still remaining between them and the OR border (Chico, Redding, Yreka, Modoc County, the North Coast, etc.)? Inland it seems like Marysville is about the northernmost "cutoff" these days for most urbanites, and the rest of "NorCal" is about as out of mind as the Imperial Valley is to SoCal!
What are you considering the southern end of "NorCal"? I grew up in Santa Cruz, which we considered Northern California--we visited Chico and Oroville and the northern reaches of the Sierra a lot--and Tahoe area a lot, but that was also due to the fact that my dad grew up in Oroville and we had a lot of family up in that area.

The truth is that anywhere north of Redding(or even north of Chico) isn't all that visited outside of travellers on I-5 going north or south, but you can say the same thing for most of Southern Oregon just over the border--no one in Portland really heads down there much either--Ashland is actually more of a destination for Northern Californians. A place like Eureka/Arcata is pretty far from any major city, so it feels fairly remote, but you do get some tourists from further south visiting them to go to the redwoods--or college kids at Humboldt. Places like Alturas or Susanville basically feel like outback towns in Nevada--I don't know why anyone would really just visit them unless they had family or were on the way to somewhere else.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,995,484 times
We love going to up to Burney Falls to camp near Redding. And Shasta. Lots of places up there we'd like to see, just have to make it happen.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,712,534 times
I usually draw the line at Sacto metro in the valley at least, and curve it on down to Monterey cause that feels more NorCal than central coast to me. I give Bishop the benefit of the doubt and put them in NorCal.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Places like Alturas or Susanville basically feel like outback towns in Nevada--I don't know why anyone would really just visit them unless they had family or were on the way to somewhere else.
Some outback towns in Nevada attract visitors who enjoy them for their outbackness and Nevada-ness.

There's plenty of good stuff in the north state if you know where to look: Quincy (music festival), Weaverville, the Lost Coast, Ferndale, Lake Almanor, Lava Tubes, and of course Lassen and Shasta.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I give Bishop the benefit of the doubt and put them in NorCal.
No way. Bishop is either in the northern part of SoCal or the southern part of CenCal, most likely the latter. Have long been a bit undecided as to whether South Lake Tahoe is in NorCal or CenCal, and SLT is a long way from Bishop.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
During my almost 20 years in Sacramento we often traveled throughout NorCal by various routes and visiting and staying in different cities, towns and villages or going up into Oregon. Good times. Beautiful scenery.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,158 times
Without getting into arguments where the particular "dividing lines" are, was wondering how well the NorCal/SoCal analogies hold up. For example, it seems like "SoCal" is much more culturally unified and well-traveled all over, even inland and right up to the southern border... compared to say, the Bay area and Sacto folks who may consider themselves "NorCal", yet apparently don't really travel much or have anything in common beyond a relatively small and narrow east/west urban strip across the lower end.

Which is to say, have always believed that huge, roughly one third of the state north of that urban divide, is basically another place and culture altogether, which has no counterpart whatever in "SoCal" or "NorCal", except that we've just sort of arbitrarily ''tacked it on'' as an afterthought.

Last edited by mateo45; 03-04-2013 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,245,672 times
I've been to the Sundial Bridge in Redding, Mendocino, the giant redwoods and Oregon countless times.
BTW, that "Land of fruits and nuts" thing is pretty old and played out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento