Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:36 AM

210 posts, read 269,177 times

Advertisements

That's something I like about Roseville: they have Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Nugget, Trader Joes, and a Sprouts (opening up soon). Plus many farmer markets around town. So much good, fresh stuff going on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
You may want to check out Lincoln. It shares a border with Rocklin and is less expensive. Make sure to factor in Mello-Roos assessments when you are looking at houses. A good website to check out is Californiamoves.com. Good luck!
I moved to Lincoln recently! The commute sucks, but the town is great.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:10 AM

47 posts, read 272,089 times
Yes, the Nugget is superior to Whole Foods. It puts its money where its mouth is in supporting local organic food producers. Also, it seeks out small food producers for interesting new foods GMO free. It is an education in food sustainability and a mouth watering even with each visit. I cannot wait to get one in my area!

Does anyone know when they will open another store closer to midtown Sac? I heard late last year they bought that defunct cadillac place on Howe ave and expected to open a new store there by the fall of this year. It was in the news last November, but there is no sign of construction nor any word from the store itself.

They need a good store in that area. Sure, TJ's, Corti Bros, and the Co-Op are just down the road, but we need a good all around grocer. I go to Corti's for fresh seafood and deli, TJ's for frozen stuff and wine, and the Co-Op for produce. I'd love to just make one stop to get bread and regular groceries. I'm sure the others will suffer a loss of customers, but I can't wait to shop at Nugget again!

Old 05-31-2013, 08:32 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodropbombs View Post
That's something I like about Roseville: they have Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Nugget, Trader Joes, and a Sprouts (opening up soon). Plus many farmer markets around town. So much good, fresh stuff going on there.
Folsom/EDH has ALL of that. Last weekend, Folsom added another year-round FM with 50+ vendors. Plus, there many fruit stands and summer-based FM.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
There is a Nugget in West Sacramento, although it's kind of a drive from Midtown.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:22 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAnon View Post
Yes, the Nugget is superior to Whole Foods. It puts its money where its mouth is in supporting local organic food producers. Also, it seeks out small food producers for interesting new foods GMO free. It is an education in food sustainability and a mouth watering even with each visit. I cannot wait to get one in my area!

Does anyone know when they will open another store closer to midtown Sac? I heard late last year they bought that defunct cadillac place on Howe ave and expected to open a new store there by the fall of this year. It was in the news last November, but there is no sign of construction nor any word from the store itself.

They need a good store in that area. Sure, TJ's, Corti Bros, and the Co-Op are just down the road, but we need a good all around grocer. I go to Corti's for fresh seafood and deli, TJ's for frozen stuff and wine, and the Co-Op for produce. I'd love to just make one stop to get bread and regular groceries. I'm sure the others will suffer a loss of customers, but I can't wait to shop at Nugget again!
Everyone loves Nugget, and I think the stores do really well, but being family-owned, they're super conservative about expansion. I read about the expansion you're referencing, but I thought they pulled the plug? I can't find a link. Anyway, definitely a need for a new Sacramento location. I'd LOVE to see one go in to the long-delayed Curtis Park Village, which is supposed to include a grocery store of some sort, but which they haven't announced. Obviously something close to downtown would be great, but space and the number of residents might be an issue.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
The Co-Op is also planning to expand into a new, larger facility at 28th and R Street, even closer to light rail than their current location, so potentially they might be more of a full-service grocery store, with more direct transit access from downtown than Safeway, which is a three-block walk from the nearest light rail station. Although I'm pretty sure that the owner of the Crystal Ice plant on 16th and R plans on putting a grocery store in that building, closer to light rail and three blocks closer to downtown.

I guess I don't see too many full-sized "supermarket" type stores in other cities' downtowns--most of their residents are served by corner markets for day-to-day things, while a proper market one or two miles away is no huge obstacle, especially if they deliver.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:51 AM

771 posts, read 1,581,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
There is a Nugget in West Sacramento, although it's kind of a drive from Midtown.
Still a lot closer than driving to Roseville, Folsom or Elk Grove from Midtown.

I know I don't have a terribly positive reputation on this forum, but I think West Sacramento often gets a bad rap... its not as bad as reputation suggests.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:38 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
Still a lot closer than driving to Roseville, Folsom or Elk Grove from Midtown.

I know I don't have a terribly positive reputation on this forum, but I think West Sacramento often gets a bad rap... its not as bad as reputation suggests.
The Southport area is actually quite pleasant.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
The Southport area is actually quite pleasant.
If you work downtown and can get past the school district issues if you have kids, that's not a bad neighborhood, and prices are better than what you'll find on the east side of the river within a comparable distance for what you get.

Moreover, West Sac is actually putting money into its levees, although Sacramento may get a reprieve through a bill that's working its way through Congress right now. That's why the whole arena/Kings debacle has me SO angry. We have levees which are falling apart, and that $200 million should be going to levee repair, because we sure as hell aren't going to have $500 million to rebuild the new arena if a levee breaks in the right place during a Pineapple Express storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento