Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,809 times

Advertisements

Hi, all.

My husband is being stationed at Travis AFB in July but will be working 75% of the time at McClellan AFB, with 25% at David Grant Hospital in Travis. We are moving from southern Mississippi.

We were told to look for housing in Woodland, Davis or Dixon areas to make the occasional commute to Travis easier (as well as to McClellan). From what I can tell, these towns vary from 30 to 40 minute commutes to both McClellan and Travis.

We have about $2,000/month for housing, are looking to rent, and have three kids (7, 3.5, and 15 months). We'd like a 3 bed/2 ba, yard, garage, reasonably good schools, safe neighborhood, nice community (as in walking trails, lots of families). Davis seems to fit the bill best, but is the most expensive, too.

1. Which of these three towns has the BEST (smoothest, shortest) commute to the VA (McClellan AFB) in North Highlands? My husband will likely be working 10-12 hour shifts (7 a to 7 p).
2. Is Davis worth the high prices? Does the community life make up for the all the college students?
3. Does Woodland have a good sense of community and things to do? How are the schools?
4. Does Dixon have things to do? How are the schools?

I'm trying to balance affordability with distance from McClellan and fun stuff for the family. I probably just have to pick two

Any input would be great!

Last edited by reticulargirl; 04-03-2013 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,493 times
I wouldn't limit it to those cities. Woodland is okay overall--affordable, though the schools aren't great, but it's needlessly out of the way for a commute those locations. Though there are some suburban-style developments, Dixon is small and fairly rural. I'd only seek that if that's what interests you. Plus, it's somewhat closer to the Travis than McClellan, which doesn't seem ideal.

Davis is a great town and would definitely meet all of your criteria. But, you're right, it's super expensive. You're likely to be pretty cramped with your budget, and may have to sacrifice living in a detached home. Personally, having all the college kids annoyed me when I lived there as a twentysomething DiNK, but it ensures a vibrant downtown and a lot of community events. And because it's pricey and has great schools, you're bound to be surrounded by good families and super involved parents. Have a look around the Sacramento Craigslist page for Davis rentals and you can be the judge on space vs affordability. The commute from Davis to McClellan shouldn't be too bad though there is some traffic during rush hours.

To your list, there are a couple spots in Sac you might add. That makes a long commute to Travis, but reduces overall commute time. You might consider adding East Sac and Land Park (still pretty expensive and difficult to find a rental, but great neighborhoods and good schools). If those two plus Davis don't work, you might consider the nicer parts of Natomas, which are more affordable, newer, have available rentals, but may have spotty schools.

Good luck on the search!

Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 AM

762 posts, read 2,031,588 times
I would move to the west end of Roseville. Moving close to McL will not be pretty, and moving in between the two won't save you any time considering you are making a worse commute 75% of the time. RSVL is the opposite direction, but that's the only way to fly IMO. I love West Sac and Natomas, but if I had 3 public school kids and 2 grand a month, I would only be looking at RSVL.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:30 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,846,485 times
Will your husband be working at the outpatient clinic or the VA medical center? The clinic is at McClellan. The "10-12 hour shifts (7 a to 7 p)" sound more like medical center hours. The medical center is located at Mather off Hwy 50. If that is the case, I would recommend Anatolia/Kavala Ranch in Rancho Cordova. If it really is McClellan, other communities to consider are So/West Roseville, No Highlands, Antelope & No Natomas as already mentioned. I think the good thing about these communities, is that he can take the back roads to 80 & into Travis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento