Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 01:18 PM

9 posts, read 18,357 times

Advertisements

I work near Cal Expo, close to the Arden mall. I can afford around $150,000 and would like to keep my commute reasonable - no more than 15 miles would be ideal. I live in Rancho Cordova currently, and I'm spending almost $200/month on gas. It's tolerable, but if I could be a little closer, that would be great.

I'm single and looking for a small house - preferably under 1000 sq feet, 1-2 bedrooms. Not interested in a condo. No kids, so schools are not a concern.

I'm concerned about safety and walk/bikeability. Is this hopeless? Am I limited to Oak Park, and if so, should that scare me out of buying entirely? I am drawn to a lot of the cute little houses in that area, but I've never lived there, so I'm not sure how I'd feel in terms of safety (I'm a woman in my mid-20s). I want to be able to walk my dog in the evening without fear. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 01:48 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
I have a friend who lives in a little mid-century house in Arden-Arcade with several dogs. She does not own a car. While she does complain about it not being as walkable as Midtown, she gets around just fine. If you got a bike you'd be within short bike riding distance, but most of the major roads in that area are horrible for biking. But at least you'd have a shorter car commute. I'd look at the area south of Arden, the area between Auburn and El Camino has not been doing well but the end of Arden-Arcade closer to Fair Oaks Boulevard and the American River seems to have held up okay.

Last edited by wburg; 06-16-2013 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 08:24 PM

61 posts, read 218,960 times
I wouldn't be afraid of Oak Park is a rule, but be cautious about location within Oak Park or areas described as Elmhurst, Colonial Heights, and Tahoe Park (many of the fringes are essentually Oak Park). I walk and run my dog through Oak Park and while the number of loose dogs and dogs in front yards right next to the sidewalk is annoying, I do not consider it unsafe. It really is variable and there are certain routes I stick to as they are a more enjoyable walk.

If you are luckly, you can probably find a small home at the top of your range in Tahoe Park or Hollywood Park, both of which are nicer neighborhoods then Oak Park. I would also take a look at North City Farms. A local brewering, Track 7, is in the area and a good dogfriendly hang out, and you can easly walk to Curtis Park. There are a couple 2/1's listed for under 125K in that area.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:00 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,793 times
Iowa

Old 06-18-2013, 05:50 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
^^ LOL. And I will add, anywhere in the San Joaquin Valley between Lodi & Bakersfield.
Good luck finding something in the Sacto region before a investor beats you to it for cash.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:11 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,247,479 times
You should hook up with a good realtor. They can find listings that might fit you. I've seen fixer-uppers for 150K or even less. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:30 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,910 times
Arden Arcade. Enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento