Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 PM

306 posts, read 701,590 times

Advertisements

I've lived in several major cities and I'm pretty accustomed to seeing homeless people begging for cash or crazy people talking to themselves. But what's different about Sac is that I am noticing those people around, but there aren't a lot of "normal" people around to balance out the ratio. Things downtown are quite dead after the 5 pm work crowd leaves the area and then it just seems to be undesirables around. So when I am seeing them, it's just me and homeless beggars, crazy smelly people who talk to themselves, guys with tattoos on their face... and no one else around to make me feel like there are witnesses or good samaritans around. I have to say, I did not feel safe downtown on weekends or later in the evening.

So, that brings me to the question of moving to Sac. If I work downtown and live in midtown, I am not sure how comfortable I would be walking everyday alone as a young woman. Like I said, I felt safe in big cities where there was a lot of foot traffic and car traffic along the routes I'd use at all hours of the night. But in Sac, it just seems to have the sketchiness of a big city without all the other people around. So, should I consider not walking to work if I work downtown?

Also, any areas of Sac to avoid, especially ones near or adjacent to downtown and midtown I should watch out for? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:35 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
That's an old problem--the housing downtown was destroyed and not replaced, aside from a handful of SRO hotels and apartment buildings, so very few people live in the downtown core. What you observed is the main problem--one of perception. In cities with a denser core, there are just as many spare changers but they are part of the urban mix, not the whole population on the street after business hours.

Midtown is a different story, because it has a comparatively high population density and more people on the street. If you are used to walking around in cities it should be no challenge--standard city stuff like be aware of your surroundings and don't take dumb risks. Walking home after work at 6-8 PM is no big deal. After dinner or coffee at 10 PM, still no big deal. Walking home after a club after a few drinks at 2 AM is not advised.

Outside the central city, Oak Park has the worst crime and the worst problems, although it is rapidly improving and turning into the neighborhood of choice for young people who like the charm, tolerance and cheap rent of the neighborhood enough to tolerate a higher level of risk--the same thing that brought people to Midtown 20-30 years ago before it got pricey and fashionable. Other than that, East Sacramento, Land Park and Curtis Park have very good reputations, but the Broadway and Alhambra corridors have a lot of street-folks traffic--and auto traffic, which is in my opinion a bigger risk to the pedestrian.

One of the biggest crimes in the central city is car theft and car break-ins, so if you aren't driving, you make yourself less of a target for one of the most common crimes.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:46 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,910 times
It's sketchy. Although Midtown has gentrified, I'd still be careful. Definitely avoid Oak Park, Del Paso Boulevard (formerly called North Sacramento) or the "River District", better called the Homeless District.

The advantages of walking to work or taking a short bus ride from Midtown still outweigh the increased crime risk, however. Particularly for a single person. And by moving in, you are part of the gentrification.

Look into firearms training and be a pistol packing lady.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:24 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,209 times
As wburg mentioned, it's mostly an issue of perception. Downtown, while not as safe as, say, East Sac or suburban communities like Folsom, is really not all that unsafe, though it's hard to disagree with your observation that there are a lot of (what the average person would perceive to be) lowlifes at certain times of the day. On the other hand, during work hours and happy hours, there are plenty of folks around. There are also a lot of sections of downtown where there are fewer homeless and more taxpayers, mostly east of about 10th St where the bars and restaurants are.

Also, are the areas outside of those well-traveled areas really "routes that you'd travel at all hours of the night"? Commutes hours plus a couple hours after for stragglers and happy hour takers all stay busy, and past that, I'd imagine you'd be staying where there's interesting stuff to do, which is also where the people are.

By the way, I'm a total broken record about bicycles here, but being on a bicycle, I think, makes you less of a target while still maintaining most of the advantages of being a pedestrian (few worries about parking, no stops at the gas station, etc.) That may be an issue of perception vs reality as well, but my fiance and I bike all over the center city at night, including to/from the Downtown Plaza area, along the poorly-lit levee between the Tower Bridge and Broadway, and along Broadway near all that project housing between 4th and 8th or so (which is quite peaceful and pleasant--certainly not like the projects in The Wire or something) and never feel unsafe. Bigger issue there is getting hit by a car, which requires a little investment in blinky lights and good habits, but drivers in the city are really not that bad about bikers, surprisingly.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:49 PM

20 posts, read 35,457 times
I would just keep your eyes open...it's not that bad. If you're a county resident you can get a ccw permit.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
I travel to Sacramento about once a month and in the last two years Ive seen a shooting / double homicide at a gas station in broad daylight on Mack rd

police pursuits and saw a guy toss a pump action pistol gripped riot shot gun out the driver window across the hwy as he was being chased by Sacramento police.

saw two ghetto thugs doing a grab & run stealing air soft guns or paintball gun? from Big 5 Sporting goods in broad daylight and they run to their car and casually drive away, while the store manager walks out casually with hands in pockets and lets them drive away and dosent even get the license plate number

Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,209 times
Well, anecdotes are worth about what you pay for them. I've lived here for 3 years, had our car broken into once (nothing stolen or damaged--I don't even remember if I locked it) and once called the cops on some folks who were getting in to a fist fight at a house party that I happened to be biking past. But that's it.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:43 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
mr bolo obviously hangs out in more ratchet parts of town than we do, ryuns.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:57 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,110 times
I lived in Sacramento for almost 25 years (lived in midtown, worked downtown) and experienced no problems at all. I lived near Sacramento City College as well and would sometimes walk the 3.5 miles to and from work (can't believe I thought that was fun) and again, never experienced problems. Of course, I was very used to the city, carried pepper spray with me at all times, and I always try to be cautious.

I find downtown tends to get quiet around 6:00 PM, and it's EXTREMELY quiet on weekend mornings. My best friend lives in a very nice apartment in midtown, and he also mentions that he is happy with his choice (he also works downtown).

If you do decide to walk to and from work, just make sure you vary your routes.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:08 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I travel to Sacramento about once a month and in the last two years Ive seen a shooting / double homicide at a gas station in broad daylight on Mack rd

police pursuits and saw a guy toss a pump action pistol gripped riot shot gun out the driver window across the hwy as he was being chased by Sacramento police.

saw two ghetto thugs doing a grab & run stealing air soft guns or paintball gun? from Big 5 Sporting goods in broad daylight and they run to their car and casually drive away, while the store manager walks out casually with hands in pockets and lets them drive away and dosent even get the license plate number
#1 is South Sac
there is no way #2 I'd downtown
#3 sounds like South Sac, No Highlands, or So Natomas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento