Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 11:23 PM

490 posts, read 837,515 times

Advertisements

Do any state and federal workers here happen to know if there is a general minimum GPA requirement for most full-time, permanent positions? I believe for internships or student-worker programs, there may be a general requirement for a 3.0 minimum GPA? Is that accurate? And is that the case for most other positions (non-internship, non-student-worker)? I am interested in a state/federal job but as an undergrad about 7 yrs ago, I got just a minimum graduating GPA hovering in the low 2.x range in a soft major. I've since been working in a good job and have made steady gains in pay and position, but am concerned about being ineligible for employment opportunities elsewhere, like State/Fed jobs, if GPA requirements are fairly fixed.

Last edited by ecsdude; 04-21-2014 at 11:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:13 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post
Do any state and federal workers here happen to know if there is a general minimum GPA requirement for most full-time, permanent positions? I believe for internships or student-worker programs, there may be a general requirement for a 3.0 minimum GPA? Is that accurate? And is that the case for most other positions (non-internship, non-student-worker)? I am interested in a state/federal job but as an undergrad about 7 yrs ago, I got just a minimum graduating GPA hovering in the low 2.x range in a soft major. I've since been working in a good job and have made steady gains in pay and position, but am concerned about being ineligible for employment opportunities elsewhere, like State/Fed jobs, if GPA requirements are fairly fixed.
There are minimum educational credentials at times, but not a GPA per se. So if you passed with less then flying colors, that won't matter so much.

What to do, according to my friends in the Kalifornia "civil cervix" (a womb like environment, comforting or stifling, depending upon your point of view):

1. Just flash your sheepskins when necessary.

2. Get to know the civil cervix tests, and score high. Here, your score most certainly DOES matter:

A. Actual written tests

B. Panel Interviews--Certain questions will repeat themselves, and through trial and error, you can formulate the answers they will want to hear. Or better yet, see if you can find anyone who has been through it and can give you the best answers.

C. Always ask for a position's "duty statement" before the panel interview or other civil cervix examination. Read it over and study it hard. Formulate questions to ask, especially if it has abbreviations or jargon with which you are not familiar. Get an idea of what the position is all about.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post
Experience usually factors in. To my knowledge that's true with grad school or stae employment.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:17 PM

79 posts, read 157,890 times
I'm failing to understand how a low GPA from 7 years ago would have any bearing on any job. At this point in your life, isn't experience the only thing employers generally look at?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:32 PM

534 posts, read 1,532,652 times
I'm a scientist with the state, currently, but have held other positions including working for the Gov's Office....I've never been asked GPA in any position I've interviewed for or gotten. It's not an issue. You need to make sure you qual (qualify), and then study the heck out of what is needed for the classification to get on the list.

Once you are on the list, when openings arise, you need to study the heck out of the issues listed on the duty statement for the job you are interviewing for - usually you are working on a specific program...go to that program page and understand what you will be doing.

And....apply for every exam you might possibly qual for!

Best wishes!

Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,070 times
I've had more than a few federal jobs and I can guarantee you nobody anywhere ever calculated my GPA. I went to top-notch schools, and I'm sure that helped, but beyond that, I think they really didn't look further. And of course, once you're in an agency, what matters is your performance.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:53 PM

51 posts, read 127,918 times
While I am not employed by the state, but by a municipality, I never had to supply my GPA...for heaven's sake, I was nearly 40 by the time I applied for an entry-level position! I simply indicated I was a high school grad, plus attended college, and went through the testing process for the position. Because I was willing to work in a temporary status, I was picked up early in the process and, because I had excellent skills, was able to work in both short term and long term temp positions until my rank came up for permanent positions. My status as working temp definitely made a difference in getting hired permanently, and I am now a 20-year employee.

Be prepared to do well on the written test for the classification you are applying for, and be prepared to answer appropriate questions in a hiring interview. I do NOT think your GPA is particularly important, unless you have no previous employment to qualify you to be hired. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2014, 08:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Like the others, I work at a public agency, have worked at another in CA, and applied for jobs at several others and have never been asked for a GPA. In some lower level jobs in the past I have had to take written tests but they were specific to the positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento