Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 01:18 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times

Advertisements

When it comes to Arden, Carmichael and Fair Oaks, is it an accurate opinion to think that the nicer side of town is closer to the American River? Also, is the weather a little cooler along the river than it would be, say, up around Roseville and Rocklin?

I think I got this impression by reading countless posts on Sacramento neighborhoods. Just wondering if that's an accurate general rule or way off base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 08:47 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
When it comes to Arden, Carmichael and Fair Oaks, is it an accurate opinion to think that the nicer side of town is closer to the American River? Also, is the weather a little cooler along the river than it would be, say, up around Roseville and Rocklin?

I think I got this impression by reading countless posts on Sacramento neighborhoods. Just wondering if that's an accurate general rule or way off base.
I don't think there's much of a temp difference to make a difference. You may have a few degrees of difference with communities closer to the Delta (like the Pocket area in Sacramento or Elk Grove) than Roseville or Rocklin but it's still hot in the summer. the section of Fair Oaks near Hazel Ave is close to the river but just by looks it doesn't seem to be a nicer side of Fair Oaks.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:45 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Yeah, not much of a difference in weather, other than microclimates due to the nearby presence of water and trees vs. parking lots, which can vary. The northern edge of Arden-Arcade is still getting rougher, but the neighborhoods closer to the river are more desirable in part due to the river's proximity as well as the good reputation of the neighborhoods. There isn't really a "town" to have a nicer or not-nicer side, just the sort of unplanned regional growth in between 50 and 80, which is why it's a bit hard to pin down neighborhoods in the vast Uncity.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:07 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,308,084 times
Quote:

In general the areas along the North Bank of the American River tend to be a little nicer and more affluent.

The New York Times produces a poverty map by census tract below. That will let you see how different neighborhoods in the region compare.

Mapping Poverty in America - The New York Times

and UC Davis produces a map of educational attainment by census tract here.

http://mappingregionalchange.ucdavis..._BSabove_0.pdf

The micro-climates in the Sacramento area are less pronounced than in the Bay Area, so in terms of temperature their probably isn't an appreciable difference between Arden Arcade and Roseville or Rocklin. But their is probably less air pollution. There is a weird effect in this region where pollution is blown up against the foothills by prevailing winds during the day and then at night it slides down the mountain. As a result measured pollution levels tend to be higher in areas closer to the foothills, since Roseville and Rocklin are closer to the foothills, they probably suffer more from this than say Arden Arcade.

Spare The Air: Frequently Asked Questions

The City of Sacramento tends to rebrand

Old 11-17-2014, 07:58 PM

Thank you very much for the responses. I think the "cooler along the river" thing I'd picked up from comments on other threads was about the Delta, not the American River. See? That's why I thought to ask. I'd gotten impressions from reading dozens of posts, and needed a reality check.

Appreciate the links to the information. Very interesting!

Old 11-18-2014, 12:21 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
YES! But only someone who lives in the suburbs would know that. There is a thread out there about how wonderful Sacramento weather is, and I frequently tracked the weather in the 'burbs there. The temp difference in the summer is anywhere between 5-10 degrees different, and it does feel much hotter due to the lack of tree coverage. But, the good news, is that the allergy potential is far less.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:59 AM

119 posts, read 285,540 times
Ah. Here is one question I can answer.

1) It IS much cooler along the Sacramento River
2) But only after 4-5pm when the Delta Breeze moves in.

I think that's what people are referring to, the Delta Breeze, I don't think it extends up to downtown but perhaps upto the pocket?

We get it very strong here in Elk Grove and its really noticable. By chance I got a north/south facing home and since the Delta Breeze comes from the SSW it can really cool down my home quickly.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:38 AM

256 posts, read 367,575 times
Downtown definitely gets the delta breeze. We get it over here in the north east corner of Midtown, and when we lived in Boulevard Park it was like a wind tunnel after 9 p.m. I grew up in Lincoln and thought the delta breeze was a myth.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeney View Post
I grew up in Lincoln
Lincoln is the next town we'll probably make a trip to check out. Your money seems to go a little farther there than in Roseville and Rocklin. Is that mainly because it's simply a little farther out? If we moved there, it would be because I can work in Roseville. But I sit in crawling traffic here in the Bay Area and was hoping to get away from that by moving to Roseville and working in town. Not sure what the traffic down 65 is like during commute hours. Anything else you can share about the town?

Old 11-18-2014, 09:11 AM

256 posts, read 367,575 times
Not really -- when I lived there it was a tiny city of 1,800 people, and I lived seven miles outside of town in the middle of rice fields and sheep ranches! It's very different now. I've visited friends in the Twelve Bridges area and it seems like a pretty nice suburban development, but the only thing it shares in common with the town I knew is a zip code and a high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento