Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 12:04 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,003,728 times

Advertisements

I agree with Caligirlz that you should keep as close as possible to the medical center where you will be going to the most. Part of that is when your husband gets a job, what is the insurance plan and which centers are available to you. Great suburbs all around but longer commutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 12:13 PM

15 posts, read 26,509 times
What about the Vacaville area?

Old 01-10-2015, 01:15 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times
If the most important factor is proximity to the right hospital, start by picking the hospital. Vacaville is a long distance from Sacramento, where the hospital most likely is located. Vacaville is kind of expensive for its size due to its relative proximity to the Bay Area. It's an okay enough place, but most of the Sacramento area is east of the Sacramento River except nearby communities in Yolo County.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:59 PM

Ok. Thank you.

As important as hospital proximity, is probably being in a place that job opportunities for my husband.
I see the Sacramento police department is hiring, as is Vacaville, and another city/town that escapes my mind right now...

Old 01-10-2015, 03:02 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times
In that case, if he gets hired in Vacaville, it's a good choice--as would Sacramento if he gets hired by the Sacramento police department, which would give the added bonus of hospital proximity.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:20 PM

Is it fair to say, that in the Sacramento/ surrounding areas that a combined yearly income of $80k-$100k is liveable? My research points to yes, but in my reading on this forum, the consensus on that is quite varied...

Old 01-10-2015, 03:48 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,848,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmfro View Post
Is it fair to say, that in the Sacramento/ surrounding areas that a combined yearly income of $80k-$100k is liveable? My research points to yes, but in my reading on this forum, the consensus on that is quite varied...
yes. Very doable.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:37 PM

8 posts, read 16,464 times
Great point on the POST waiver 2sleepy.

I guess the first questions would be identifying the local hospitals, or city/county health services that can meet the needs of your children. A friend of mine has a young boy that needs constant care and they need to be within 10 minutes of their hospital. From what she has said, Placer county has some amazing programs that arent available in other areas. I do not know exactly what program he is in, but I know he has some degree of asthma, autism, and another internal health issue.

The local rental market is somewhat hot right now, but $2,000 will find you a nice comfortable home in a good area. If you plan to purchase, $2,000 will get you anywhere between a $300,000 home and a $400,000 home (depending on financial situation, down payment, etc).

Depending on the health services that can meet your needs, and your budget there are great community options. In Placer County, Rocklin and Roseville are wonderful cities. In Sacramento County, Folsom is a great suburb. Closer to downtown you have more individual options. Greenhaven/Pocket area is an older suburban area without the congestion of a more downtown location. The homes are a little older, but excellent pride of ownership, and safe. About 15-30 minutes from Downtown Sacramento. East Sac, Land Park, Curtis Park, and River Park are closer to downtown, but still maintain some of the suburb feel. The downside is that they are more expensive because of the location, and the very high pride of ownership. Tahoe Park is a great mid-range option. Safe neighborhood, but not as pricey as the previous areas.

El Dorado Hills in El Dorado County is a great option. Many folks commute from there and from Folsom to Downtown Sacramento. EDH (El Dorado Hills) has great amenities, and is clean and safe. Pricing is within your potential budget, and they are expanding. I dont know too much about the health services in EDH, but it is only 15-20 minutes from Folsom.
Those would all be first choice in my opinion. If those are not viable options for you, parts of Elk Grove, North East Natomas, Fair Oaks, and Lincoln are all good secondary choices.

A little information on additional housing costs... Gas/Water/Electric can range from $150-450 depending on the size home, usage, and the utility district you end up in. Property taxes are base rate of 1% of the purchase price, but many areas have additional tax assessments. A good rule of thumb would be to budget 1.25% for property taxes. We dont have toll roads here, and gas is right around $2.35/gal +/-. (down from an average between $3.50-$00). Our sales tax can take a little getting used to as well. haha I just helped some friends move from Virginia, and they've mentioned the sales tax a few times!

Best of luck with your search! You made a great choice. Sacramento has a lot to offer, and there are so many wonderful things to do and see within a couple hour drive.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:44 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,848,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerbacon View Post
Great point on the POST waiver 2sleepy.
A friend of mine has a young boy that needs constant care and they need to be within 10 minutes of their hospital. From what she has said, Placer county has some amazing programs that arent available in other areas. I do not know exactly what program he is in, but I know he has some degree of asthma, autism, and another internal health issue.
Are you sure she isn't referring to UC Davis Medical Center? They are the #1 hospital & specialty services in the region. As for autism, they have the best services. UC Davis MIND Institute

Old 01-12-2015, 09:25 AM

578 posts, read 1,295,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmfro View Post
Now were you looking at the SF subforum or the Sacramento subforum? $80-100k is very very doable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento