Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 09:08 PM

421 posts, read 3,223,039 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am considering buying a townhouse in the Crosswoods development in Citrus Heightsand was hoping to get some idea of what the association is like?

I would have preferred a house but couldn't find one under $200k with access to greenbelts and lighted, safe areas to walk at night. Crosswoods has tons so it's at the top of my list.

Any feedback on the good/bad of living there would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 11:36 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I never heard of it before, but I did a little checking and dues are $348 a month! Personally I would live in a tent before i would live in another HOA, I lived in one in Reno for 14 years and hated it! There is nothing more annoying than to have to submit a design drawing in order to dig up a bush from your front yard, or paint the outside of your house..ugh.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:42 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Depends, do you like rules & regulations? Do you like uniformity? Do you like being told what you can & can't do? Do you care about the neighborhood? Or pride of the neighborhood? How would you feel about a purple house next door? Or your neighbor parking multiple vehicles around the house including on the grass?

Some HOA's are a lot better managed than others. If the monthly HOA is $300+ per month, I'd say that's a little steep for most developments. It sounds like the total number of units is small, otherwise the costs would be less and spread out between more units. I used to live at 4100 Folsom Blvd in East Sac. HOA's there were approx $500/ month.

Ok, just checked, this is not a new development. http://www.crosswoodshoa.com/ "There are 451 homes within the 88 acres at Crosswoods. The homes were developed in eight (8) phases, with the first unit built in 1972 and last in 1986." It's older. This is a red flag in my opinion. The pictures are lovely. It looks to me that the original developer was Powell, although I can't verify it. He's the one that developed Gold River. And it looks like this community is highly desired.
http://activerain.trulia.com/blogsvi...o-development-

Be sure to request a copy of the CC&R's and read them thoroughly to see your rights prior to buying. And be sure to check out the HOA's finances also. Check google for lists such as this: http://tamarazhomes.com/blog/10-ques...uying-a-condo/

I wish to heck I would've bought in an HOA neighborhood. Not condos, but homes. My neighbors are pigs.

Last edited by caligirlz; 02-04-2015 at 12:56 AM..

Old 02-17-2015, 12:53 AM

421 posts, read 3,223,039 times
After 8 years of living in a house with a very large yard and pool that were really too much for me to handle, i am more thanhappy to give that responsibility up.I wish the fee wasnt so high but my biggest fear is crazy/bad people on the HOA board which i've heard is common. That would be hard to deal with. I was told I couldn't see the CC&R's until I had an accepted offer which seems idiotic but I guess it's true because I've heard it more than once.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:13 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
After 8 years of living in a house with a very large yard and pool that were really too much for me to handle, i am more thanhappy to give that responsibility up.I wish the fee wasnt so high but my biggest fear is crazy/bad people on the HOA board which i've heard is common. That would be hard to deal with. I was told I couldn't see the CC&R's until I had an accepted offer which seems idiotic but I guess it's true because I've heard it more than once.
That is amazing that they won't show you the CC&R's, if you are working with a Real Estate Agent I would ask them about the legality of that. I guess you could drive around and strike up a conversation with residents who are outside and get their opinion- but the lurking danger is that the way the place is run now is no promise of how it will be run in the future. Get a new board of directors or a new management company and things can change dramatically.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:25 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
I was told I couldn't see the CC&R's until I had an accepted offer which seems idiotic but I guess it's true because I've heard it more than once.
That's BS. If that is their attitude, then I'd avoid that community. Something is wrong.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,502 times
The facts about Crosswoods: It may be the most amazing place in the greater Sacramento area. The HOA dues pay for the maintenance of 87 acres -- let me repeat, 87 acres -- of trees, walking trails, greenbelts, creek access, 3 pools, wild turkeys...as well as total and conscientious maintenance of all the exterior surfaces, roofs, and decks. It also pays for a steep reduction in your cable costs.

Some of the commenters were right: there are rules. You can't street-park your car or those of your guests, your trash can stays out of sight,your house is the same color as your neighbors'. You have to pick up your dog's poo, you can't use your back deck for junk storage, and you can't randomly remodel the exterior of your home.

All of that is exactly why I bought a home here. My old neighborhood was full of people who felt that "no one can tell me what to do with MY PROPERTY!" They lawn-parked cars when they ran out of room on the street, left their trash cans in front of their homes permanently, and most NEVER painted their homes, let alone chose an obnoxious color. One neighbor felt persecuted when told he couldn't keep pigs in his front yard.

You can have access to their CC&Rs through any number of avenues. Your seller should have a copy. What the HOA WON'T do is provide you an official copy, because the CC&Rs and all amendments run several hundred pages and are expensive to print and certify. The HOA is in great financial shape, the management is responsive and friendly, the Board serious and experienced.

So: want to be a rugged individualist? Don't move here. Want a quiet, tranquil, beautiful neighborhood with respectful neighbors, trees surrounding your house, miles of trails to walk, no banging car stereos, and no deferred maintenance? Buy a unit at Crosswoods, and we will be happy to welcome you.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,502 times
The facts about Crosswoods: It may be the most amazing place in the greater Sacramento area. The HOA dues pay for the maintenance of 87 acres -- let me repeat, 87 acres -- of trees, walking trails, greenbelts, creek access, 3 pools, wild turkeys...as well as total and conscientious maintenance of all the exterior surfaces, roofs, and decks. It also pays for a steep reduction in your cable costs.

Some of the commenters were right: there are rules. You can't street-park your car or those of your guests, your trash can stays out of sight,your house is the same color as your neighbors'. You have to pick up your dog's poo, you can't use your back deck for junk storage, and you can't randomly remodel the exterior of your home.

All of that is exactly why I bought a home here. My old neighborhood was full of people who felt that "no one can tell me what to do with MY PROPERTY!" They lawn-parked cars when they ran out of room on the street, left their trash cans in front of their homes permanently, and most NEVER painted their homes, let alone chose an obnoxious color. One neighbor felt persecuted when told he couldn't keep pigs in his front yard.

So: want to be a rugged individualist? Don't move here. Want a quiet, tranquil, beautiful neighborhood with respectful neighbors, trees surrounding your house, miles of trails to walk, no banging car stereos, and no deferred maintenance? Buy a unit at Crosswoods, and we will be happy to welcome you.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:44 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
"we"? sounds like a board member. "Unit"? sounds like a condo.

Claims that it is expensive to provide an "official" copy of the restrictive covenants are absolute nonsense. Digital copies in particular can be reproduced over and over at pretty much no cost. Aside from developers and boards the primary entity that wants to impose barriers to obtaining the restrictive covenants are the management companies. Why? Because they sell those copies.

According to the website these are "cluster townhomes".
Although the site invites you to click a link to obtain "important documents" the link is broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento