Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 07:05 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,249,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
Agreed! I intend to do just that.

Just out of curiosity... what are the feelings of long-term Sacramento residents on the bay area transplant issue? I know among folks in SF that have been living there awhile - and are now stuck in whatever rent controlled shoe box apartment they were lucky enough to get into a few years back - there is some resentment to the huge influx of tech investment and jobs and money that has so massively driven up housing costs and is changing the face of the city quite dramatically.

I know the issue of bay area transplants is not necessarily a new one, but it has to have greatly increased the last few years. Are long term Sac residents happy to see this and the increase in property value and urban development that perhaps follows along with some of this? Or more annoyance because there likely is some snobbery that bay area transplants might bring along with changes that might not be welcome?
I'm OK with it, having more educated, tech-savvy folks moving here is a win-win for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 07:46 PM

89 posts, read 132,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
Agreed! I intend to do just that.

Just out of curiosity... what are the feelings of long-term Sacramento residents on the bay area transplant issue? I know among folks in SF that have been living there awhile - and are now stuck in whatever rent controlled shoe box apartment they were lucky enough to get into a few years back - there is some resentment to the huge influx of tech investment and jobs and money that has so massively driven up housing costs and is changing the face of the city quite dramatically.

I know the issue of bay area transplants is not necessarily a new one, but it has to have greatly increased the last few years. Are long term Sac residents happy to see this and the increase in property value and urban development that perhaps follows along with some of this? Or more annoyance because there likely is some snobbery that bay area transplants might bring along with changes that might not be welcome?
I think it's great. All of the people I grew up with here are long gone. I plan on leaving in the next few years and will never return. But... I do wish the best for the city and hope it becomes a great place to be for those who stay.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:29 PM

22 posts, read 40,877 times
There's an interesting pattern I've noticed from multiple threads. Those who grew up in sac and haven't really left tend to talk the most smack about it, whereas those who relocated there within the past few years actually seem pleasantly surprised and are enjoying themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:32 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
No, it's pretty common for natives to be the most critical, especially if they have never lived anywhere else. Supposedly the old-school patricians considered it very uncouth to say anything nice about Sacramento other than the most backhanded compliments about us being a nice quiet little farming town (which isn't true, but that's part of the problem.) Others grew up hating Sacramento's suburbs, which are particularly hateable to many, and assumed that's all there is to the region.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:42 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponsor83 View Post
There's an interesting pattern I've noticed from multiple threads. Those who grew up in sac and haven't really left tend to talk the most smack about it, whereas those who relocated there within the past few years actually seem pleasantly surprised and are enjoying themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I agree. I was born and raised in Sac, then I went to school in San Francisco, where I lived for seven years. I found myself appreciating Sac more when I was living in SF than when I was living in it. Before I thought of Sac as backwards and small minded - and to some extent it still is - but the more I made monthly visits to see my family and friends, the more I found peace and ease from the bustling noise and fast life of The City. Two years after I graduated from college, things got very expensive with rent, food, and paying back student loans, I realized living in San Francisco wasn't fun anymore. I was paying for the privilege to be a San Franciscan. That's when I decided to take a job offer to return to Sac last year.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:36 PM

264 posts, read 414,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
I'm OK with it, having more educated, tech-savvy folks moving here is a win-win for everyone.
That is until we get priced out of Sac!

But I'm hoping to have been grandfathered in / sitting on a portfolio of desirable real estate by the time that happens.

Right now I just talk up how awesome my life in Sac is whenever I'm in the Bay.

"Your $2 million house is so ... quaint! What? No yard at all for your dog to poop in? We just bought a slightly larger house for $300k. You should really think about moving there and telecommuting, my ulcers are gone, I sleep better, and we'd be closer!"

Old 03-16-2015, 02:54 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,249,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
That is until we get priced out of Sac!

But I'm hoping to have been grandfathered in / sitting on a portfolio of desirable real estate by the time that happens.

Right now I just talk up how awesome my life in Sac is whenever I'm in the Bay.

"Your $2 million house is so ... quaint! What? No yard at all for your dog to poop in? We just bought a slightly larger house for $300k. You should really think about moving there and telecommuting, my ulcers are gone, I sleep better, and we'd be closer!"
Not likely. Sacto doesnt have that many tech jobs. Just enough to keep the place going.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:35 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,227,673 times
I think that the OP might want to not give up so easily. If SF Bay Area proper doesn't meet your needs, try outlying areas (no reason to go all the way to the Central Valley, imo)

What about Monterey County or Santa Cruz county? You can get a lot more for your money there. Particularly if you are willing to rent until the next downturn and are frugal enough to save enough down payment so that you can jump in when the market bottoms out.

I see places all the time on Craigslist for rent under 2K. Heck for 2K or less you can rent a nice place in Carmel or even Pebble Beach (1br, but its just the two of you...so no big deal). I don't know where you need to be for work...but there are plenty of great places to live that are under the number you quoted. Santa Cruz or Santa Cruz mountains is another possibility if you need to commute to Bay Area proper (if its South Bay, wouldn't be that bad at all).

Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,227,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Be careful what you wish for.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:08 AM

89 posts, read 132,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponsor83 View Post
I definitely have left many times. Just returned only recently. I think once you see other cities that do have a lot of energy and are just must better designed, then the flaws of Sac really become more pronounced. Like I said the majority of people I grew up with here have left and never plan to return. It's not a terrible place to be, but there are so many better places to live than Sac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento