Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 08:57 AM
iok iok started this thread

11 posts, read 7,100 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone,

I am just wondering, does the drought affects Sac area?
How is the water supply to Sac area?
Does lake Tahoe supply water to Sac, or to Nevada?

thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:02 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iok View Post
Hi, everyone,

thanks,
Lake Tahoe drains into the Truckee River, which flows to Reno and beyond.

Last edited by NickB1967; 04-02-2015 at 09:18 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 08:18 AM

556 posts, read 788,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iok View Post
Hi, everyone,

thanks,
Yes the drought affects the Sacramento area.

The water supply to the Sacramento area is dismal. We get our water from the reservoirs which may appear decent now but with no more water coming in we're doomed. Folsom Lake is currently releasing more than is coming in and the boats will be out of the lake by July.

Previous poster answered your 3rd question.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:53 AM

276 posts, read 365,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohmixer View Post
Folsom Lake is currently releasing more than is coming in and the boats will be out of the lake by July.
Yep. Gotta keep the river flowing at half a BILLION gallons per day!

Old 04-03-2015, 11:58 AM

572 posts, read 599,209 times
The drought is affecting Sacramento. It is affecting all of California and it looks like if the weather patterns of the last few years continue it will be the entire west coast of America that will be hugely affected.

Sacramento primarily relies on surface water (rain run off and snow melt stored in reservoirs) as do most major municipalities in California.

As the previous posters alluded to...its not just water for farming and residential use that will be affected by the drought. Electricity generation through hydro-power requires constant water release at a high volume from our reservoirs. That's why the American river stays at such a constant level.

When our reservoirs get even lower it will affect our electricity as well as our household water supply and farming. The water transportation system that distributes water to the southern part of the state consumes a huge amount of power as well as taking a huge quantity of northern California's water resources to the south.

I'm not sure if many people realize how serious the issue is that we are facing. It's very scary.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:04 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
I know not Sacramento specific, but many communities in the central San Joaquin Valley are on well water. The entire town my parents live in, Visalia, is well water. Many wells in the Porterville area have gone drive. Very few people can afford to drill another, and I believe the ability to do so is limited.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:07 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
I'm not sure if many people realize how serious the issue is that we are facing. It's very scary.
So I finally went outside today to do something about my car, which is embarrassing with dust and bird poop. Trying to save water, I'd spritz just a little and then scrub off the bird stuff.

Since I've always just used a ton of water to get the dirt and whatever soft I didn't realize you're not supposed to actually scrub the stuff off.

So I ended up using only a tiny bit of water. And it looks like I ruined the paint.

Is this the first fatality of the drought?

Old 04-06-2015, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
So I finally went outside today to do something about my car, which is embarrassing with dust and bird poop. Trying to save water, I'd spritz just a little and then scrub off the bird stuff.

Since I've always just used a ton of water to get the dirt and whatever soft I didn't realize you're not supposed to actually scrub the stuff off.

So I ended up using only a tiny bit of water. And it looks like I ruined the paint.

Yeah you likely ruined your paint, unless you use a waterless wash system you basically sanded swirls into your topcoat. A good detailer may be able to buff the swirls out if you didn't gauge too deep.

There are "waterless" car washing systems (I always heard them referred to as DNR Do Not Rinse, but google doesn't turn much up.) But if you do a search for "rinseless washes" or "waterless washes" you should find lots of options.

Alternatively...
Most automatic car washes recycle their water and up up using less water than a hose in your driveway. (always use touchless, the swirly foam ones can scratch something awful)

Old 04-07-2015, 01:06 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post

No, my dead lawn is.

I went to the gas station car wash last week. It was nice & easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento