Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 11:57 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times

Advertisements

AT&T refuses to replace my dying router unless I upgrade everything to U-verse. I constantly hear local people complain about connection issues, speed issues, etc. and when I look at review sites the reviews for it are horrible. When I told the AT&T guy I really didn't want U-verse, he hung up on me.

Suggestions? I have a desktop computer and need wifi for my Kindle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 12:13 PM

23,540 posts, read 24,041,250 times
At least here in the Bay Area, AT&T has been "forcing" everyone off DSL and onto the U-Verse platform and services. A few years ago, I moved into a new home and they refused to provision DSL, but forced me onto higher cost U-Verse, claiming that
DSL would be obsoleted soon.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:40 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
AT&T just called back. They've agreed to mail me a new router, but I have to configure it myself. If it's difficult, the guy next door is a computer tech guy and will do it, so I'm good for a few more years.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:01 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
AT&T refuses to replace my dying router unless I upgrade everything to U-verse. I constantly hear local people complain about connection issues, speed issues, etc. and when I look at review sites the reviews for it are horrible. When I told the AT&T guy I really didn't want U-verse, he hung up on me. Suggestions? I have a desktop computer and need wifi for my Kindle.
Sounds like they decided to help you out, but just for future reference, you can replace their router with any modem/router that is made for DSL, they are pretty cheap. All you need to configure one is your log in info.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:33 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
It's not DSL versus U-verse, since all the many AT&T DSL techs and cable-splicers who have to come out here 3-4 times per year have finally told me that is mostly just a marketing name of AT&T's high speed Internet. They say that U-verse is just another name for the DSL, at least the Internet connection part of it.

What AT&T is trying to get rid of is LANDLINE telephones. They want you using VoIP, short for "Voice over Internet Protocol." Digital VoIP calls are made over Internet service lines, typically fiber-optic ones (but not always, and are not in my area), which completely bypass the old copper-wire TDM systems.

Of course, if you make the switch to VoIP, and your electricity goes out, so does your telephone service. (Your service will also go out with a traditional phone if requires a power brick. (Two of mine do, and two of mine are prized possessions—old analog phones that don't require any electricity, whatsoever.) There are so many downsides to digital voice lines, that even the guys who work for AT&T who made the switch wish they had not done so.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:57 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It's not DSL versus U-verse, since all the many AT&T DSL techs and cable-splicers who have to come out here 3-4 times per year have finally told me that is mostly just a marketing name of AT&T's high speed Internet. They say that U-verse is just another name for the DSL, at least the Internet connection part of it.

What AT&T is trying to get rid of is LANDLINE telephones. They want you using VoIP, short for "Voice over Internet Protocol." Digital VoIP calls are made over Internet service lines, typically fiber-optic ones (but not always, and are not in my area), which completely bypass the old copper-wire TDM systems.

Of course, if you make the switch to VoIP, and your electricity goes out, so does your telephone service. (Your service will also go out with a traditional phone if requires a power brick. (Two of mine do, and two of mine are prized possessions—old analog phones that don't require any electricity, whatsoever.) There are so many downsides to digital voice lines, that even the guys who work for AT&T who made the switch wish they had not done so.
U-verse is definitely not the same as DSL. We have copper to our house that is what AT&T DSL uses. We had AT&T U-verse and that is fiber from the node (VRAD) to the house. U-Verse is only available if you are within 3400 feet of a node. We got rid of our copper landline years ago, cell phones work just fine.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:18 AM

23,540 posts, read 24,041,250 times
DSL is also considered legacy (older technology) and has speed limitations (maximum is around 8 mbps, I think). You also cannot support video (TV) over DSL. U-Verse is newer, faster (due to newer technology and fiber) and can support video (TV).

I don't work for AT&T and was pretty happy with my old DSL connection, but they refused to provision it at my new home, citing that they would be moving all new customers to U-Verse.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:44 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
DSL is also considered legacy (older technology) and has speed limitations (maximum is around 8 mbps, I think). You also cannot support video (TV) over DSL. U-Verse is newer, faster (due to newer technology and fiber) and can support video (TV).

I don't work for AT&T and was pretty happy with my old DSL connection, but they refused to provision it at my new home, citing that they would be moving all new customers to U-Verse.
DSL supports video just fine. We have only DSL service and have an over the air TiVo unit through which we stream mostly YouTube videos while at the same time taping 3+ TV shows and working on devices connected to the internet. It works just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: