Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 11:36 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,664,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The quote is actually, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

The 12 is the jury, the 6 is the pallbearers.
I'm not being sarcastic when I ask this, but you can go to jail if you shoot someone who breaks into your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 10:24 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,467,452 times
Default self defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I'm not being sarcastic when I ask this, but you can go to jail if you shoot someone who breaks into your home?
if it's in self defense and they actually come in your home by force, you can legally shoot them

but your not supposed to chase them down and shoot them, only if they are inside and you have no choice because your life or family is in danger.

as long as it's a justified shooting, they wont charge you for shooting a robber

Old 09-06-2016, 03:35 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,853,597 times
Quote:
The quote is actually, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

The 12 is the jury, the 6 is the pallbearers.
i know, I hear it all the time.

Quote:
not true, depends on the circumstances.

Quote:
Although California does not specifically have a “stand-your-ground” law, the Castle Doctrine is similar. Under Penal Code Section 198.5, you are allowed to use deadly force within your own home if you have a “reasonable fear of imminent peril or great bodily injury.”
https://www.wklaw.com/california-self-defense-laws/

Old 09-08-2016, 09:18 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,336,061 times
Quote:

You can shoot if your life or your family is in immediate danger. They charge towards you or family member. Holding a family member hostage. You must use caution when to shoot or you may get charge and may go to jail.

For example, you can't shoot someone through the a closed door if they are still outside of your house banging on the door. You can't shoot someone in the back if they turn to run away from you, trying to flee. Once they are out of your house, you can no longer shoot unless they are continue to shoot at you from the outside.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:17 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,469,500 times
Quote:
In SoCal I read that robbers think Asians have a reputation for keeping a lot of cash in their houses; that illegal Asians don't have bank accounts; and that robbers can tell Asians live in a house when shoes are seen on the porch (some Asians don't wear shoes indoors).
The following is a Japanese Genkan, the place (like a mud room in some respects), where everyone takes off their shoes. It is inside the house, at the entrance.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:39 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,058,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
The following is a Japanese Genkan, the place (like a mud room in some respects), where everyone takes off their shoes. It is inside the house, at the entrance.
Perhaps that is only in the most classical settings, or maybe that area is not present in most modern homes. I reported what happens in the Torrance area of SoCal:

"Asians were targeted by the burglary crews. Gang members would check for Asian names on targeted streets and look for shoes left on porches, a sign that an Asian family might live there. Gang members, police said, believed Asians kept money in their homes and “had the best gold.”

Gang members suspected of 5,000 burglaries arrested in Torrance-led police raids

Old 09-10-2016, 08:51 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,469,500 times
Quote:
Perhaps that is only in the most classical settings, or maybe that area is not present in most modern homes. I reported what happens in the Torrance area of SoCal:

"Asians were targeted by the burglary crews. Gang members would check for Asian names on targeted streets and look for shoes left on porches, a sign that an Asian family might live there. Gang members, police said, believed Asians kept money in their homes and “had the best gold.”

Gang members suspected of 5,000 burglaries arrested in Torrance-led police raids
I of course had already read the part you bolded, and speaking from my extensive experience, Japanese I know personally (whether here in Northern California or in Japan) always have either a genkan or else a shoe cubby perhaps in their garage indoors and out of sight of neighbors.

My husband did tell me after I mentioned this thread that the foreign-born Chinese across the street from us have their shoes (three or four pairs) on the porch, so maybe that's the target group. We don't wear street shoes in our house, but we never, ever leave them on the porch outdoors.

The following is a much less classic genkan, from the inside looking toward the door, but we don't use one of these. It might be a good idea for other Asians to consider one of these:

Old 09-11-2016, 12:36 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,058,222 times
Interesting. The generic media term "Asians" probably leaves a lot to be desired as a descriptor.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:54 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,853,597 times
They have formed their own armed patrols.

Business is down 20-30%.

Quote:
Some Chinese community leaders have formed a task force to combat the issue themselves, frustrated by the slow response from civic leaders. The volunteers have launched armed patrols in south Sacramento and respond to calls for assistance from those using WeChat, a popular social media app that originated in China.

“This is a lifeline for Chinese people. This is the only way they can call for help,” said Wei Xin Yang, one of the organizers of the WeChat group.

Speaking in Mandarin, Yang said there are dozens of volunteers participating in the armed patrols, from restaurant owners to marijuana growers. Yang, who has lived in Sacramento for nearly 30 years, said 1,000 people are subscribed to the WeChat group and that calls for help have rapidly increased over the last few weeks as more people discover this resource.

The crimes targeting Asians have followed a pattern: The victims are robbed and attacked just as they exit their vehicle in a parking lot or at home, according to police and witness accounts.

Targeting Asians has historical roots, Chin said, citing a California statute from the 1800s that prevented Chinese from testifying against non-Chinese in a court of law. In essence, that meant “Chinese could be freely raped, robbed or murdered,” he said.

McPhail said police are aware of multiple rap songs that advocate targeting Chinese or Asians, including a song by the rapper YG with the lyrics, “Find a Chinese neighborhood, ’cause they don’t believe in bank accounts.”

Police have described the suspects as African American men, ages 18 to 25.

Frustrated with Sacramento leaders, armed citizen patrols respond to robberies of Asians | The Sacramento Bee

Old 10-03-2016, 12:45 AM

3 posts, read 3,986 times
It's crazy how you guys portray one of America's safest cities as something it's not. Chances of a home invasion here are slim, just like how the murder rate is only about 30-40 per year. At 500,000 people, run down city, that's amazing. New Orleans has half our population and last year ended with 164 murders. Or look at Chicago which just racked in 78 murders and over 400 shooting in August alone! And not a single Neighborhood from oak Park to North Highlands (where I work) have more than 1-3 murders a year. Their random all over and the police have a super high conviction rate of criminals here compared to new Orleans where over 90% of people get away with murder.

Since I've moved here it's so nice not to have a murder everyday, but the people here have crazy CCW approvals, and stuff like that when the crime rate doesn't warrant it. Why do you think there is no First 48 Sacramento... This city is great, don't let the news fool you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento