Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 06:03 PM

8 posts, read 12,745 times

Advertisements

It is so adorable and lovely and in a very convenient location for us. We like the thought of looking there to move.
...but it is so close to Del Paso Heights. Is it really safe? Do you think the neighborhood will hold up, or evenutally give in to the rough neighborhoods that surround it. What about flooding -- is it one of the major flood areas should a levee break? Thanks for the opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,847,903 times
It is a nice older neighborhood, BUT ....it is in Del Paso Heights, it is very close to the areas where the homeless congregate, and the bus/light rail borders the neighborhood. It's the perfect example of an older/nice neighborhood being surrounded by the not-so-nice. It's been this way since 2005 when I moved to town.

As for flooding, check the flood maps: http://www.cityofsacramento.org/util...depth_maps.cfm

Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 AM

762 posts, read 2,031,815 times
If you don't mind having to see all the riffraff nearby, you could always take extra safety precautions and enjoy the neighborhood.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,787 times
It's anyone's guess, but there are a ton of examples of neighborhoods in Sacramento that border not-so-nice areas that have stayed nice through a lot of decades, including the relatively higher-crime 90s. I would count access to transit as a benefit and not a drawback and there isn't any evidence it contributes to any problems in the neighborhood, but YMMV. That strip of Del Paso Blvd has its share of "riffraff" but it also features some random niceties, like Enotria Restaurant, the GOOD Fair, Mama Kim's, nearby Chando's Tacos, and a theater company whose name I forget.

According to this map, you'd be "dependent upon levees" (most of us are!) but not in the 100 year flood zone. http://www.cityofsacramento.org/util...ent_Levees.pdf

Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,803,069 times
I wonder if enough of your neighbors would agree to make it a gated community? What would that cost, physically and legally?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,847,903 times
I believe there is a low (waist high) chain link fence on the Arden side. It's not well maintained, and it looks like it would be easy to jump or crawl through. I think there is a "no man's land" between the light rail tracks and the fence.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,939 times
Woodlake is one of the nicest neighborhoods in Sacramento. It’s similar to Curtis Park- close to downtown, lots of nice 1930s homes, but not zoned for the best schools. The previous post about it being in Del Paso Heights is incorrect. Del Paso Heights is the northernmost neighborhood in North Sacramento and Woodlake is the southernmost. It’s like saying the fab forties is in Oak Park- they’re not close at all. People sometimes make this mistake because of Del Paso Boulevard, a street that runs through all of North Sacramento and parts of Arden.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:18 PM

4 posts, read 4,515 times
I've been in Woodland for the last 2 years. It is NOT in Del Paso heights. I walk to Chandos Tacos after 9pm all the time and won't feel unsafe ever (I'm a small female). I love being close to downtown, the light rail being close, walking distance to Chandos, Woodlake Tavern and pizza, there's a new brewery and a grilled cheese place .... And just the old neighborhood! It's beautiful! If you can afford to live here, do it. I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento