Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 05:35 PM

231 posts, read 251,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeaverage View Post
Thanks but I checked out that link its in the center of town and that tends to be overly priced. Portland OR was the same way and I found a place to live much less expensive out of the metro area. I can probably find that in and outside the Sac metro boundaries. $1600 is hwy robbery btw. I do not require fancy rentals probably looking for the 700-900 a month range and a studio is all I need.

Sac seems like a growing town and thats a good thing maybe not for renters but job opportunities will be made more plentiful down the line.

Is the Folsum area decent?

I checked the link and it had 100 results for $1100 or less. Almost all of the ones under $900 were in sketchier areas (Tahoe Park, etc.). There was a single Folsom listing (Madrone) for $850--that's a good deal. There were a couple in Orangevale (next to Folsom) for $900-$1,000. Also a pretty good deal. In anser to your last question, yes, Folsom is a very decent area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 06:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHntr View Post
I checked the link and it had 100 results for $1100 or less. Almost all of the ones under $900 were in sketchier areas (Tahoe Park, etc.). There was a single Folsom listing (Madrone) for $850--that's a good deal. There were a couple in Orangevale (next to Folsom) for $900-$1,000. Also a pretty good deal. In anser to your last question, yes, Folsom is a very decent area.
The $850 in Folsom is a room rental, I don't think that's what he's looking for so I took those and Airbnb out of the search.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:14 AM

8 posts, read 7,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Why are you even THINKING of moving to a place where you've never been? If you can't afford to make a reconnaissance trip, you can't afford to live in California. Good luck wherever you end up.

All I asked was for some insight I didnt post here to have you tell me whether or not I can or cannot afford to live in CA. That sort of pisses me off when complete strangers start getting snarky. Ive lived in 6 states never had a problem finding somewhat affordable living spaces and none where in high crime areas. None of these places AZ/MA/WA/OR where visited previously and things worked out just fine!

Old 07-25-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHntr View Post

I think $900-$950 is doable and does not have to be high end. I am usually quite copacetic with middle income neighborhoods. Ive lived in quite a few nice cities and its all a mater of patience and persistence when it comes to rental properties. Thank you for the info btw!

Old 07-29-2018, 09:30 PM

20 posts, read 22,776 times
I lived in NorCal for 30 years. Like all cities, Sacramento has both its good and bad places. In general, the "south area", aka southern portion of Sac, is known for being more ghetto and crime-ridden, *in general*. If your intention is to be close to the ocean and Napa area, you have *many* more possibilities than just Sacramento. It is entirely possible to live in an affordable rental in NorCal, you just have to be open-minded about location. Before I moved to Texas, I lived in an apartment in Nevada County (about an hour from Sac) for less than $900 a month, for 8 years.

Also, concerning politics, not all of CA is run by liberals. The state is really highly divided, and political view will vary greatly depending on where you go. In general, the closer you get to the Pacific ocean, the more liberal people tend to be. I tend to just avoid the two big no-no topics of politics and religion anywhere I go. NorCal mountain people tend to be more introverted in general, but that's not to say they are unfriendly. In my opinion, Californians tend to be friendly as long as you don't discuss hot topics. Just seek out like-minded people doing the same things you enjoy, and you should be fine.

Sacramento has alot of things to do, clubs, eateries, places to watch live local music, etc. When I lived there I liked going to River Cats games (Sac's minor baseball league team). The foothills east and northeast of Sac also have alot of wineries, not just Napa. So you may wish to consider some of these areas if that is a draw for you.

Many people commute from an outlying town into the Sacramento area for work. This can greatly expand your possibilities if you are willing to commute a bit. I would suggest you expand your search to the various communities and towns in the surrounding area. NorCal is rich in culture and things to do, no matter where you go.

I know my answer is a bit general, but I just wanted to suggest you be willing to look in numerous other places in the area, in case you cannot find the right situation in Sacramento itself. I grew up in the foothills about an hour from Sac, and still in this area the ocean is only about 4 hours drive away.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

Old 07-31-2018, 05:38 AM

Thanks for the information GinnyMiller. I totally understand all cities no matter which one you choose will have its sketchy neighborhoods even Boston and Portland. I would rather live perhaps 30 min outside of Sac central if I can save money on rent after all rent is throwing money to the wind on something you'll never own!

After what I have read I realize the media portrays CA as a blue state same can be said for WA and OR but truth be told there are indeed alot of citizens thats are independent or non-democrat and the media does like to slant the reality of this country. I know WA state is basically run by the money out of Seattle and the liberals run that town doesnt make it a bad place just run poorly with high taxes but thats expected given the circumstances!

I like wine alot hence my consideration moving to a smaller city in CA thats somewhat close to the wineries.

Your answer is not general and I appreciate your sharing your experience living there. Btw I had considered Texas years ago when I visited Austin but theres something about the Pacific ocean that draws me to the west-coast living + I like the cultural aspects of the west-coast states.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:37 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,570,934 times
Avoid Del Paso Hts/N Sac and South Sac these are gang areas.

To do- downtown shopping and clubs or go to Sacramento River to cool off!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:18 AM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Avoid Del Paso Hts/N Sac and South Sac these are gang areas.

To do- downtown shopping and clubs or go to Sacramento River to cool off!
Lately, we've been rafting/tubing down the American River right in the heart of Sacramento.

Launch from a boat dock east of the Sunrise Bridge go all the way down to Goeth Park-River Bend Park. So lovely, so relaxing and quite beautiful.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:54 PM

236 posts, read 195,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeaverage View Post
Hi Eveyone,

Ill make this short and sweet.

Im in my late 40's, male, no kids and currently living in S. FL where its extremely hot and majorly humid!!

Im thinking of moving to Sacramento for a myriad of reasons mainly because its not far from the ocean/Napa and its on the west-coast and more affordable than LA and San Francisco.

On that note I lived in Portland/Seattle/Boston. All of which I love but due to prevailing circumstances not moving back to to those cities. Ive been to CA a few times understand its run by liberals, expensive etc but there are a lot of nice amenities. I can deal with the liberal mentality if I can live close to the Pacific Ocean and enjoy wine country I am not a far right winger nor am I a PC left leaning type.

That stated Id like to know what the crime is like in Sacramento, are there cheap apartments in decent neighborhoods to rent are there decent places to hang for drinks and live music. I enjoyed the fact that Portland was extremely friendly, had plenty of bars/coffee shops/record stores and great outdoors. By far coming from the east-coast(where politeness isnt necessarily doled out in heaping quantities) hands down Portland was the friendliest place.

Any honest insight would be extremely appreciated. I plan to make my move in a few months and I am on a budget! I can live extremely frugal so a roof over my head and a job would be all I need and I am not seeking executive level employment!

Thanks!
G.
Right now northern California is on fire. People are being affected by the smoke as far as Nevada. The fire has broken all previous records of any fire in the state of California.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...acuation-zones

Old 08-07-2018, 07:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
Right now northern California is on fire. People are being affected by the smoke as far as Nevada. The fire has broken all previous records of any fire in the state of California.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...acuation-zones
He's talking about moving to Sacramento, Sacramento is not on fire and there is no danger of the current wildfire extending to Sacramento
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento