Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:14 PM

8 posts, read 7,125 times

Advertisements

Hi Eveyone,

Ill make this short and sweet.

Im in my late 40's, male, no kids and currently living in S. FL where its extremely hot and majorly humid!!

Im thinking of moving to Sacramento for a myriad of reasons mainly because its not far from the ocean/Napa and its on the west-coast and more affordable than LA and San Francisco.

On that note I lived in Portland/Seattle/Boston. All of which I love but due to prevailing circumstances not moving back to to those cities. Ive been to CA a few times understand its run by liberals, expensive etc but there are a lot of nice amenities. I can deal with the liberal mentality if I can live close to the Pacific Ocean and enjoy wine country I am not a far right winger nor am I a PC left leaning type.

That stated Id like to know what the crime is like in Sacramento, are there cheap apartments in decent neighborhoods to rent are there decent places to hang for drinks and live music. I enjoyed the fact that Portland was extremely friendly, had plenty of bars/coffee shops/record stores and great outdoors. By far coming from the east-coast(where politeness isnt necessarily doled out in heaping quantities) hands down Portland was the friendliest place.

Any honest insight would be extremely appreciated. I plan to make my move in a few months and I am on a budget! I can live extremely frugal so a roof over my head and a job would be all I need and I am not seeking executive level employment!

Thanks!
G.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 05:06 PM

231 posts, read 251,079 times
What kind of housing budget are you on and what are you looking for? Renting, buying? Apartment, condo, house? Possible job you're looking at and where? Commute time limits? There are a lot of areas in Sacramento and the surrounding suburbs with little or low crime. It's easier to make suggestions if you provide more specific information on what you're considering.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:37 AM

Im looking to rent small studio or 1 bedroom Im not a materialist!

Any job but I mainly work in office environments from assistant to customer service jobs and I own a car so a 30 minute commute isnt an issue.

I hope this information helps. I do not see alot of people reaching out with information and considering how popular this board is Im wondering if my title line is not garnering the interest!

Anyway any insight is appreciated.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:35 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeaverage View Post
Im looking to rent small studio or 1 bedroom Im not a materialist!
Any job but I mainly work in office environments from assistant to customer service jobs and I own a car so a 30 minute commute isnt an issue.
I hope this information helps. I do not see alot of people reaching out with information and considering how popular this board is Im wondering if my title line is not garnering the interest!
Anyway any insight is appreciated.
For what you are looking for the best place would be midtown. Here's a list ignore the one for $604 that's a senior complex. I don't know what you consider reasonable. The best thing to do is check the link I gave you for all of Sacramento County and sort by price then if you see something that interests you ask in this thread about the neighborhood that it's in, but please don't ever move anywhere without a job. In most of Sac County landlords require verifiable income of 3 X the rent so you're not going to find anything but a motel room if you don't have income when you move here.

https://www.apartments.com/midtown-s...mento-ca/?so=2

Old 07-24-2018, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the information Ill check out the link. Ill be moving without a job. Never had an issue before good credit etc.

3x the rent is b.s. tho. Most people are barely scrapping by let alone make 3x the rent. Besides that nobody's business as far as I am concerned as long as you pay on time and have good references. Anyway I am sure I can find something aside from a motel room!

Old 07-24-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information Ill check out the link. Ill be moving without a job. Never had an issue before good credit etc.

3x the rent is b.s. tho. Most people are barely scrapping by let alone make 3x the rent. Besides that nobody's business as far as I am concerned as long as you pay on time and have good references. Anyway I am sure I can find something aside from a motel room!
Ok good luck then, but keep in mind I have no reason to lie to you. Vacancy rate is very low so landlords can be very picky and still fill vacancies. If it doesn't work out the way you think it will then you might consider an Extended Stay hotel, monthly rent on most of them in this area is around $1600-$1800 a month and that's if you go through their 60 day minimum stay program 1-888-844-0952. I hope you find a great place to live and a wonderful job and that you will keep us updated

Old 07-24-2018, 02:04 PM

Thanks but I checked out that link its in the center of town and that tends to be overly priced. Portland OR was the same way and I found a place to live much less expensive out of the metro area. I can probably find that in and outside the Sac metro boundaries. $1600 is hwy robbery btw. I do not require fancy rentals probably looking for the 700-900 a month range and a studio is all I need.

Sac seems like a growing town and thats a good thing maybe not for renters but job opportunities will be made more plentiful down the line.

Is the Folsum area decent?

Old 07-24-2018, 02:49 PM

572 posts, read 599,352 times
The areas closer to the urban core tend to attract a younger crowd and are generally more liberal. They also tend to be more expensive.

Folsom is a very nice, very suburban area that attracts a lot of families and is very desirable. I don't think your budget will allow for Folsom.

Check out Rancho Cordova, West Sac, Carmichael, Citrus Heights, Arden Arcade. These are 15/20 minutes outside downtown Sacramento and might have some more affordable places.

As far as crime goes - there's plenty of petty theft all over, car break-ins that kind of thing. There's some more violent crime especially in the lower income areas that you might want to be wary of... certain areas of South Sacramento, North Highlands, Del Paso Heights should be carefully investigated before you sign on to a lease there.

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:50 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Why are you even THINKING of moving to a place where you've never been? If you can't afford to make a reconnaissance trip, you can't afford to live in California. Good luck wherever you end up.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks but I checked out that link its in the center of town and that tends to be overly priced. Portland OR was the same way and I found a place to live much less expensive out of the metro area. I can probably find that in and outside the Sac metro boundaries. $1600 is hwy robbery btw. I do not require fancy rentals probably looking for the 700-900 a month range and a studio is all I need.

Sac seems like a growing town and thats a good thing maybe not for renters but job opportunities will be made more plentiful down the line.

Is the Folsum area decent?
There are 9 apartments available in all of Sacramento County for $900 or less. Most of them are in high crime or economically depressed areas: https://www.padmapper.com/apartments...31921,38.63272

The cheapest apartment in Folsom is $1250 https://www.padmapper.com/apartments...her&sort=price

With that kind of cap on rent I would suggest you look around Marysville/Yuba City, it's cheaper there but there aren't many jobs either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento