Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:24 PM

21 posts, read 217,457 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate for a few years in Turlock and wanted to know what the town is all about; activities, people, sports, rentals, clubs, etc... (besides the weather and the crime)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 07:41 AM

6 posts, read 44,818 times
Where are you moving from? My family is moving to Turlock in February from Tennessee. Everything I have heard about Turlock so far has been wonderful. I am also excited about the responses I have received from the school system as well.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:30 PM

39 posts, read 204,697 times
What's happening in Turlock?

Not a whole lot, LOL.

It's a small community but it's been growing. I don't live in Turlock, I live in Manteca about 30 minutes north of Turlock. Turlock is mainly known for the university, Stanislaus State. It's a college town.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:28 PM

We are moving from Orange County, California. Don't have kids yet but I have heard the schools there are great as well. Looking to rent a nice 3 bedroom apartment or condo, which communities/parts of town should I be looking in?

Old 01-01-2007, 07:46 PM

22 posts, read 130,947 times
We lived there for 17 years, and it was a nice place to raise a family. The University there doesn't really interact that much with the community. They are building on campus like crazy, so maybe they'll attract more students and offer more concerts, games, social events. The best thing is the 4th of July celeb that is held at the Univ amphitheater. Free community symphony while you picnic and wait for it to get dark, and the best fireworks display we've seen in a town that size.

Lots more Bay area commuters in recent years. They have to drive 2 hours each way! But with more affordable housing, some are willing to live in their cars. Not for us!

Lakes and mountains are close enough, Bay Area is there for culture, Sacramento to the north. City league softball is big, lots of flat roads to bicycle on. Better than Modesto, for crime and neighbors. We had great neighbors, and found people very friendly. Rural feeling with all the orchards and dairies out in the country.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:49 PM

Thanks so much for the great info scallawag! Can you give me a bit more detailed info on community/neighborhood names to live in that are decent? Looking into renting a 3 bedroom condo or apartment and would like it in a newer area. Thanks!

Old 01-11-2007, 11:53 PM

22 posts, read 130,947 times
Jennien, Sorry to leave you hanging, but I have to learn how to keep track of threads I've posted on, so I can get back to anyone who answers. Glad I remembered this one to check back on.
Not many condos in town...I can only think of the ones on Monte Vista Ave, right across from the University. Apartments....hmmmm.....not really in any newer areas, as I remember. You can find houses to rent, though. There are great new neighborhoods off Taylor at the very north end of town, and Geer. Rose Circle, Rose Place, all the Rose Developments between the Univ. back side and Taylor Rd-Geer to Crowell, approx. This is a big multiblock area bordered by those 4 boundaries, if I'm making any sense. Also, new growth off Colorado between Taylor and Monte Vista. Boy, these street names are hard to remember after 2 1/2 years!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 04:17 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,269,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scallawag View Post
Jennien, Sorry to leave you hanging, but I have to learn how to keep track of threads I've posted on, so I can get back to anyone who answers.
Click on your user name and choose "Find all posts by" from the menu. It should help.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:09 PM

Thank you again scallawag, I will look into those areas when I go back up to consider the rental situation I face

Old 02-20-2009, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,704 times
Default Why Turlock

Do you like farmers, cowboys, methamphetamintes, the Clampers, the KKK, the Hells Angels and a 60% dropout rate in the high schools?

The town looks good as you drive through, it has a certain charm, but if you are culturally or academically oriented and at all interested in a diversity of cultures, you will run screaming from this and all the rest of the central valley towns. There are quite a slection of AA and NA meetings to choose from, though.

The air is polluted with ag chemicals, the well water is polluted with ag chemicals and cow pee (nitrates), the cattle are confined in abusive feedlot corrals, there is incredible racial bigotry. There is no recreational water in any of the towns and you can compete with the rattle snakes for space in the dry, dusty windy lakes in the surrounding areas. This is the edge of the gold country with its rough mining heritage. The dust bowlers that settled here in the 20's and 30's also have a sustaining influence that I find negative.

Would you like to know what I really think about Turlock (and Modesto and Merced and all the rest of them)? It's a rough area, and if you are a cowgirl you may be tough enough to tolerate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento