Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 05:48 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times

Advertisements

When the anti-vaccine people gather and protest at the capitol building, is it safe to be near them? Having them grouped together like that seems like it would be a petri dish of measles, chicken pox, tuberculosis and other airborne disease flying around... quarantine the area and seal if off with police tape.

I'll steer clear, thank you.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/un...aks-2019-04-25
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 05:54 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Most anti-vaxxers were themselves vaccinated as children. And if you're also vaccinated, I don't think you need to worry quite so much.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:04 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,143,716 times
As long as it's not Bring Your Kid To Protest Day, you should be in the clear.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:30 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,452,603 times
Not having been vaccinated does not automatically give you a disease. There has to be someone that actually has it first.

And totally besides the fact that there's no vaccination for tuberculosis, it's been a given for quite some time now that the majority of the cases have been ahem....slipping over the southern border....so to speak. So standing around the Capital won't expose you to that either.

And depending on the age of the protesters, it's possible that they weren't vaccinated as children. My generation only got 3 vaccines. My son got 5. It's only the current generation that's getting 30 or 40 vaccines. And yet the older generation doesn't seem to immediately die of the diseases they weren't vaccinated from. Odd that.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
... And yet the older generation doesn't seem to immediately die of the diseases they weren't vaccinated from. Odd that.
As I understand it, if a high enough percentage of the population is immunized then the "herd immunity" principle means that the unvaccinated won't get sick either. That's why the anti-vax movement is so dangerous, if enough people join their ranks then the herd immunity threshold won't be met and we will have Typhoid Mary all over again.

Herd Immunity animation

Old 04-26-2019, 10:31 AM

54 posts, read 44,138 times
Clearly with 99.9% of folks being vaccinated, it is highly unlikely you would contract any disease from them

Your chances of contracting other diseases, well better go hide in your closet

Old 04-26-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceTheHousekeeper View Post
Clearly with 99.9% of folks being vaccinated, it is highly unlikely you would contract any disease from them
Your chances of contracting other diseases, well better go hide in your closet

You're right, the chances of me contacting a disease from the anti-vaxxers is quite small. But I have some concern for the elderly and others with compromised immune systems.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:03 PM

572 posts, read 598,626 times
Quote:
Not having been vaccinated does not automatically give you a disease. There has to be someone that actually has it first.

And totally besides the fact that there's no vaccination for tuberculosis, it's been a given for quite some time now that the majority of the cases have been ahem....slipping over the southern border....so to speak. So standing around the Capital won't expose you to that either.

And depending on the age of the protesters, it's possible that they weren't vaccinated as children. My generation only got 3 vaccines. My son got 5. It's only the current generation that's getting 30 or 40 vaccines. And yet the older generation doesn't seem to immediately die of the diseases they weren't vaccinated from. Odd that.
Actually there is a vaccination for tuberculosis. The BCG - but it's not routinely given in the U.S. Many kids in other countries get it at birth. It's effectiveness is limited and the U.S. has a very strict protocol of monitoring and treating TB so it's generally not thought suitable for use here. It's a good illustration that public health scientists do actually consider vaccine safety and effectiveness when recommending disease prevention strategies.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:54 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
I suppose if there are protesters over 80 years old, they might never have been vaccinated as children.

Your estimate of children being given 30 to 40 vaccines today is a little high. I was born in 1969 and I got 8 vaccines:

Polio
Diphtheria
Tetanus
Measles
Mumps
Rubella
Pertussis
Smallpox

My children are teens and they have had all of the above minus smallpox, but adding:

Chickenpox (not the most serious disease ever, but no one wants shingles later in life)
Hepatitis A and B
Meningitis (we know a young girl who is permanently disabled from meningitis)
Pneumococcal
Hib ((Haemophilus influenzae type b)

I count 13 different vaccinations, not 30. Some need to be administered more than once to be effective. It was the same when I was little.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:57 PM

276 posts, read 364,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Chickenpox (not the most serious disease ever, but no one wants shingles later in life)
Chickenpox is usually mild but before the vaccine, about 10,000 people landed in the hospital each year due to complications and 10 died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento