Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 02:34 PM

207 posts, read 220,291 times

Advertisements

I personally like Roseville, but it is probably a little bland and generic (OK, I know some reasonable people who think that it is very bland and boring). This is not to ignore many significant pluses pointed out earlier in this thread. It has good schools. It is mostly safe. It has good access to medical care. In short, it is a nice middle to upper middle class suburb. Again, the choice is typically dictated by a budget, so in this sense it is impossible to pick an ideal suburb without knowing an upper spending limit. If money is not an issue, GB is clearly superior, whether one has to rely on some Roseville amenities or not

Same with Davis. I imagine it does not have big box stores and its hospital (Sutter West?) is probably inferior to UC Davis hospital in Sacramento but this does not make Woodland or West Sac superior to Davis.

Last edited by norcalsocal; 12-15-2020 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 09:29 PM

139 posts, read 252,433 times
East Sac is by far the best suburb in Sacramento.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:04 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyLF View Post
East Sac is by far the best suburb in Sacramento.
East Sac was probably considered a suburb back in the day along with Oak Park; however, I wouldn’t consider East Sac as a suburban neighborhood. It’s an established in town neighborhood within the city of Sacramento.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:13 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
East Sac was probably considered a suburb back in the day along with Oak Park; however, I wouldn’t consider East Sac as a suburban neighborhood. It’s an established in town neighborhood within the city of Sacramento.
You are correct; East Sacramento and Oak Park (along with what are now Curtis Park and Land Park) were originally streetcar suburbs of Sacramento, but they were annexed to the city in 1911 and are now neighborhoods of Sacramento. Oak Park very much embraces their status as a city neighborhood (and even back then, Oak Park supported annexation while East Sacramento opposed it, but Oak Park had more voters!) East Sacramento, on the other hand, still sometimes likes to pretend that they're a distant suburb far from Sacramento's hustle and bustle, and they can still see hop fields out their back windows. Land Park often shares this illusion, but to the south rather than the east. Curtis Park seems to embrace their urbanity to a middling degree. So I suppose East Sacramento is the best suburb in the Sacramento region only within the minds of some East Sacramentans, but it is a very nice city neighborhood for the rest of us.

Old 12-20-2020, 10:39 AM

209 posts, read 201,027 times
I like Folsom and Fair Oaks best overall then Roseville/Rocklin/Loomis. Found cute home in Folsom but rooms were too small and I need more room for studio gear. So back to search.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:04 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Granite Bay has a bunch of gated communities and I have to say I really don't care for them. The problem with gated communities is first they don't provide much security. The little kids tell their friends the gate code so their friends can come over and play. Additionally all of the package delivery companies (FedEx, UPS, Amazon, Postal Service) know the code, the gardeners, the house keepers and just friends of the owners know the code. Lastly if you don't know the code, you will get buzzed in by the neighbors who don't want to wait around while you call the owner, to get buzzed in. So just about anyone who wants to get into these gated communities can get in. I have friends who live in Ashley Woods and I have to say, I think gated communities are pretty bad in terms of security.

The other issue is the long term HOA dues and how much those will go up and at what rate. My friends who live in Ashley woods are paying HOA dues to Ashley Woods to pay for the upkeep of all of the common areas inside Ashley Woods, but they are also paying HOA dues to Johnson Ranch to pay for all of the landscaping on East Roseville Parkway, Old Auburn Road, Sierra College Blvd and likely some more streets. Those HOA dues keep going up.

So I have to say I am not a big fan of Granite Bay.

You can also find areas in Rocklin, El Dorado Hills. Roseville, Folsom and El Dorado Hills that do as well or better on test scores.

Personally I really do prefer all of the bike trails in Folsom.

But if I had the money to buy in Granite Bay in one of the mansions, I would buy either in Arden Oaks, Sierra Oaks, the Fabulous Forties or on a house facing the American River in Carmichael or Fair Oaks or a house on the Sacramento River off the Garden Highway.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:29 PM

478 posts, read 690,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Granite Bay has a bunch of gated communities and I have to say I really don't care for them. The problem with gated communities is first they don't provide much security. The little kids tell their friends the gate code so their friends can come over and play. Additionally all of the package delivery companies (FedEx, UPS, Amazon, Postal Service) know the code, the gardeners, the house keepers and just friends of the owners know the code. Lastly if you don't know the code, you will get buzzed in by the neighbors who don't want to wait around while you call the owner, to get buzzed in. So just about anyone who wants to get into these gated communities can get in. I have friends who live in Ashley Woods and I have to say, I think gated communities are pretty bad in terms of security.

The other issue is the long term HOA dues and how much those will go up and at what rate. My friends who live in Ashley woods are paying HOA dues to Ashley Woods to pay for the upkeep of all of the common areas inside Ashley Woods, but they are also paying HOA dues to Johnson Ranch to pay for all of the landscaping on East Roseville Parkway, Old Auburn Road, Sierra College Blvd and likely some more streets. Those HOA dues keep going up.

So I have to say I am not a big fan of Granite Bay.

You can also find areas in Rocklin, El Dorado Hills. Roseville, Folsom and El Dorado Hills that do as well or better on test scores.

Personally I really do prefer all of the bike trails in Folsom.

But if I had the money to buy in Granite Bay in one of the mansions, I would buy either in Arden Oaks, Sierra Oaks, the Fabulous Forties or on a house facing the American River in Carmichael or Fair Oaks or a house on the Sacramento River off the Garden Highway.
i disagree. Sure you provide good points, but you have to realize the percentage is decreased in gated communities because its one more obstacle a would be thief has to worry about. It's like car alarms and home security alarms. If someone wants to get in they will, but a smart thief will try and reduce the percentage of getting caught. Being in a gated community and having alarms is a DETERRENT. Everything you mentioned, imagine if it wasnt gated, it just increased the probability to be a victim.

They do not give a false sense of security because they do help as a deterrent.

HOAs are hit or miss. Ive heard/seen/been in all sorts. IMO HOA is only worth it if it provides being in a gated community and cant be more than about $100 a month as that also includes CC&Rs that are enforced so neighbors dont paint their house neon pink, or put nasty structures and park a million cars on the street. It does keep the neighborhood looking well and upscale. The sweet spot is being in a gated and they take care of front landscaping. Some even have a community pool and other amenities. And for $100-150 that is absolutely worth it. Whitney Ranch residents pay $150-200 IIRC depending which portion they are in but includes that nice clubhouse big pool etc. But the higher end are the ones who live in the gated portion. In the bay area, HOAs are $300+ but no gated, no pool nothing, thats just how bay area is for many communities.

Also there is only 1 HOA, the other fees you speak of might be a mella roos or speciality tax. Most master plans, most of new communitiesconstructions around sacramento metro have them. I have never heard of paying 1 hoa but there is another hoa?

The thing with Granite Bay is exclusivity. Sure there are homes/areas just like it in Roseville, rocklin etc, but for example Roseville is a HUGE city. Roseville has nearly 150,000 people and Granite bay only has 20,000. There has been somewhat of a "im better than you" because i have a granite bay address. Think of having a 90210 address. There are many who will go to granite bay before all other and prefer it just for that exclusivity. Thats just how life works for the rich and for the people with haves.

I still stand by my opinion that Roseville is the best suburb in sac metro when you look at the big picture. Take out all these places talked about here within their city borders and put them in the middle of no where. Just imagine it hypothetically. Which can sustain the best with all the city has within it's borders. It's clearly roseville, they have all the schools, the businesses, shops, restaurants, entertainment etc. When you look at real estate videos that talk about granite bay, rocklin, loomis, etc. What do they always say? "basically close to all roseville has to offer" LOL. After Roseville, then I would pick Folsom. If you want to be more broad, Placer County >>>>> All other sac metro counties

Old 12-20-2020, 10:05 PM

209 posts, read 201,027 times
I am in the same camp as shelato regarding gated communities. I had my bike stolen last year inside a gated complex here where I live in a nice part of midtown even when bike was chained to two metal beams with two massive u-locks. They cut through both locks outside my apartment and took the bike. Plus I hate rules of HOAs and they don't provide much value considering they keep going up and with covid the amenities are not available yet you still get stiffed paying them! Add in sky high Mello Roos taxes in most gated communities that are not deductible in most cases and your housing costs skyrocket like crazy. That is why I am looking at older homes besides wanting a yard and pool.

Old 12-21-2020, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 5,475 times
Question about Mello Roos/assessments: I looked up the tax bill for a property in Folsom that has about $1100/yr in Mello Roos? The house has doubled in value since it was last purchased. I realize the base taxes will go up to the newly assessed value/purchase price, but would the Mello Roos assessments also increase accordingly?

Old 12-21-2020, 10:47 AM

478 posts, read 690,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Calhoun View Post
Question about Mello Roos/assessments: I looked up the tax bill for a property in Folsom that has about $1100/yr in Mello Roos? The house has doubled in value since it was last purchased. I realize the base taxes will go up to the newly assessed value/purchase price, but would the Mello Roos assessments also increase accordingly?
From my understanding the answer is no. Your property tax will go up being reassessed, but mella roos will stay the same as that has been set and divided among the lots that have to pay the mella roos.

What you have to look into is how many more years the bond has to be paid or if its "on going" aka as FOREVERRRRR.

$1100 a year in mella roos is CHEAP. That's $92 a month? All the new construction homes ive seen across sac metro have been $200+ a month for mella roos. I know in Whitney Ranch it's more closer to $300 a month for mella roos plus the $150-200 HOA, thats another $6000 a year on top of property tax where all the homes there are about $600K. Those folks are paying easy $12-15,000 a year in just taxs/mella roos/hoa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento