Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2023, 10:44 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Oh I’m planning my exodus. Looking at Tennessee and South Carolina. Lower taxes and weather is not as bad as Idaho or Montana. I want land and a barn to raise food.
You will have worse summers in both Tennessee and South Carolina. Tennessee will be colder than Sacramento in the winter , but you can complain about the weather there as much as you complain about it here.

It is your right as a human being to complain about the weather,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Theyre building a new downtown for frisco texas, chim. We get excited over a new bridge or ten story building and theyre doing entire downtowns in ugly texas burbs. Embarrassing. California is failing the CV, including metro Sacramento.
Why are you so obsessed with Sacramento, Im done comparing Sacramento with this city and that city. Just focus on the good things happening in your town, like your Central Valley thread.

No need to bring down other California cities. If you really wanted to point out how much "better" Texas cities are compared to California cities your post really should have been in your Central Valley thread, not in a city (Sacramento) you don't live in.

Are you thinking of leaving Fresno?

Old 03-13-2023, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
When I was sking today on the chairlift, I chatted with a guy from Orangevale and one from Folsom, he asked where I was from I said Sacramento, how about you guys, are you from Sacramento too? "No, I live in Folsom, no I live in Orangevale". Oh, so in Sacramento (County), "No, Folsom, No, Orangevale", Lol.

I love it. Nobody wants to say (admit) they are from Sacramento. In the LA area,you could live in 100 different other cities not technically in LA city limits, but for sure they would say they are from LA, it would be an after thought about exactly where in LA they live.
^^^
Having said that, I get the same with Oakland and the East Bay, its a NorCal thing

Like Sacramento, and Fresno, nobody wants to say they are from Oakland, even if they live in the East Bay, its almost always specifically Berkeley, or Albany, or Danville, Walnut Creek, etc, etc. Even the not so nice cities like Hayward, or San Leandro they will never say they are from Oakland.

Alameda is a city literally a puddle-jump across a waterway from Oakland, and no one from Alameda will ever say they are from Oakland, San Francisco yes, but never Oakland.

Nothing has really changed in Oakland either, out of control super super expensive, and still the worst baseball stadium in the country,

but a few changes, no more Raiders, nor more Warriors,

there never really was much of a reason to go to Oakland to begin with,

but no charge against Oakland if you want expensive housing so you can be in California its good for that!

Old 03-13-2023, 11:38 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,007 times
Quote:
^^^
Having said that, I get the same with Oakland and the East Bay, its a NorCal thing

Like Sacramento, and Fresno, nobody wants to say they are from Oakland, even if they live in the East Bay, its almost always specifically Berkeley, or Albany, or Danville, Walnut Creek, etc, etc. Even the not so nice cities like Hayward, or San Leandro they will never say they are from Oakland.

Alameda is a city literally a puddle-jump across a waterway from Oakland, and no one from Alameda will ever say they are from Oakland, San Francisco yes, but never Oakland.

Nothing has really changed in Oakland either, out of control super super expensive, and still the worst baseball stadium in the country,

but a few changes, no more Raiders, nor more Warriors,

there never really was much of a reason to go to Oakland to begin with,

but no charge against Oakland if you want expensive housing so you can be in California its good for that!
Yeah, Oakland is worse now than it was 10 years ago, let alone 5, let alone before COVID. So are a lot of places all over California, let alone the rest of the country. Warts and all, Oakland is stil much more expensive than Sacramento because it has better weather, a better job market, and easy access to a world class city like San Francisco (even though it has also gone downhill). We left because of crime/terrible city government, and the desire to own a home that would be 2-3x less expensive in the Seattle area, which also has a better economy/job market than Sac; no state income tax; and Sea-Tac is one of the best international airports on the West Coast in terms of daily non-stop/direct flights, whereas SAC is pretty terrible. I would still much rather prefer to live in the Oakland Hills or Rockridge than anywhere in Sacramento, but we didn't want to be "house poor", so we decided to just leave the state altogether, as opposed to settling for Sac/Fresno/Bakersfield/etc.

This 14 page long thread is about Sacramento's negative reputation though, not Oakland's.

Old 03-14-2023, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Yeah, Oakland is worse now than it was 10 years ago, let alone 5, let alone before COVID. So are a lot of places all over California, let alone the rest of the country. Warts and all, Oakland is stil much more expensive than Sacramento because it has better weather, a better job market, and easy access to a world class city like San Francisco (even though it has also gone downhill). We left because of crime/terrible city government, and the desire to own a home that would be 2-3x less expensive in the Seattle area, which also has a better economy/job market than Sac; no state income tax; and Sea-Tac is one of the best international airports on the West Coast in terms of daily non-stop/direct flights, whereas SAC is pretty terrible. I would still much rather prefer to live in the Oakland Hills or Rockridge than anywhere in Sacramento, but we didn't want to be "house poor", so we decided to just leave the state altogether, as opposed to settling for Sac/Fresno/Bakersfield/etc.

This 14 page long thread is about Sacramento's negative reputation though, not Oakland's.
Like I said its a NorCal thing, really a California thing now, I have plenty of posts about Sac's reputation.

Maybe Sacramento has a "bad reputation" because it's the un-California city, genuine, less snobby folks, middle class, mid-west values kind of place....that don't go well with the coastal elites.

Sacramento reputation has always been mis-understood. Sacramentos charms and attributes which are genuine will forever be overshadowed by SoCal and the Bay.

-----

I'd take Seattle Area over the Bay Area too, better summers less expensive, but I like Sacramento's overall weather better than Seattle and the Sacramento area has some really nice neighborhoods less expensive than Seattle. It's the people though, Seattle is similar to Bay Area snobs, Sacramento folks are so much more chill and down to earth....

Like SF, Seattle (downtown, Caphill) sucks IMO. Cities after the lockdowns, because of crazy politics, crime, and Work from Home, will never be the same for a long time. I was in Seattle in 2022 and Ive been going there since the early 90's, it's just not nice anymore. Although I did buy a ton of fish at Pikes Market, that was fun, checked it to Sac.

Have you seen the 100 most expensive airports list.

Most expensive to least expensive air fares
7. SFO
10. Portland

17. LAX
20. SEATAC
26. JFK

41. Atlanta

61. O'Hare
62. PHX
64. Sacramento Int'l

99. Orlando

Sacramentos airport was rated the #1 Best Medium size airport in the Country 2022, and for several years the best in North America.
For Seattles size; SEATAC sucks, even SFO is better.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:56 AM

1,443 posts, read 1,568,121 times
Quote:
You will have worse summers in both Tennessee and South Carolina. Tennessee will be colder than Sacramento in the winter , but you can complain about the weather there as much as you complain about it here.

It is your right as a human being to complain about the weather,
not in Myrtle Beach, SC on the coast. I actually grew up here in Sacramento and in spite of my complaints it is better than many places. But now way crowded and expensive. I miss the restaurants and cafes that have closed down for good due to the pandemic. Nashville, TN has ok weather it has been warmer than here in winter this year which is quite odd.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:59 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,007 times
Quote:
Like I said its a NorCal thing, really a California thing now, I have plenty of posts about Sac's reputation.

Maybe Sacramento has a "bad reputation" because it's the un-California city, genuine, less snobby folks, middle class, mid-west values kind of place....that don't go well with the coastal elites.

Sacramento reputation has always been mis-understood. Sacramentos charms and attributes which are genuine will forever be overshadowed by SoCal and the Bay.

-----

I'd take Seattle Area over the Bay Area too, better summers less expensive, but I like Sacramento's overall weather better than Seattle and the Sacramento area has some really nice neighborhoods less expensive than Seattle. It's the people though, Seattle is similar to Bay Area snobs, Sacramento folks are so much more chill and down to earth....

Like SF, Seattle (downtown, Caphill) sucks IMO. Cities after the lockdowns, because of crazy politics, crime, and Work from Home, will never be the same for a long time. I was in Seattle in 2022 and Ive been going there since the early 90's, it's just not nice anymore. Although I did buy a ton of fish at Pikes Market, that was fun, checked it to Sac.

Have you seen the 100 most expensive airports list.

Most expensive to least expensive air fares
7. SFO
10. Portland

17. LAX
20. SEATAC
26. JFK

41. Atlanta

61. O'Hare
62. PHX
64. Sacramento Int'l

99. Orlando

Sacramentos airport was rated the #1 Best Medium size airport in the Country 2022, and for several years the best in North America.
For Seattles size; SEATAC sucks, even SFO is better.
Weird. The data for 2023 shows---SHOCKED PIKACHU FACE-- Oakland as being the most affordable airport in the country

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/03/chea...ly-out-of.html

Metro Oakland International Airport (OAK)
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
Bob Hope Airport (BUR)
Orlando International Airport (MCO)
Kahului Airport (OGG)
Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport (KOA)
Harry Reid International Airport (LAS)
Myrtle Beach International Airport (MYR)
Orlando Sanford International Airport (SFB)
St. Pete Clearwater International Airport (PIE)

Not that I really care anymore, because Oakland used to have tons of flights to Hawaii, Vegas, etc on Alaska Airlines and that is no longer the case. We do still have upper tier status on Alaska Airlines, and regularly get free upgrades to first class, but it's pretty difficult to get status on any Sac carriers aside from Delta, which is pretty meh if you fly a lot. A colleague of mine gave up trying to maintain her status since Sac's flights almost always mean a layover somewhere and she doesn't have time to deal with them since she's a frequent business traveler. Also, the lounges in Sac are pretty bad, whereas SeaTac they're awesome and plentiful. FWIW, fares to Hawaii are often $99 each way, which is interesting since Hawaii is a longer flight from Seattle than from anywhere in CA.

Yes, Seattle has gone downhill too, which is why we never even considered living there. We're less than a 25 min drive to downtown and new light rail stations are opening within the next year or so, so weekend trips will be even easier than they already are. As for skiing, it's not our biggest priority, but if we want to be in the Cascades it's a much quicker trip than from the Bay Area, and it's closer and less crowded than Tahoe resorts than Sac, but it really depends on the resort and where you want to go.

But yeah, enjoy Sac's airport and hot summers, and I'll suck it up and deal with Seattle's rain/clouds, and we should both be happy that neither one of us has to pay an Oakland mortgage.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:32 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,998,773 times
Quote:
Why are you so obsessed with Sacramento, Im done comparing Sacramento with this city and that city. Just focus on the good things happening in your town, like your Central Valley thread.

No need to bring down other California cities. If you really wanted to point out how much "better" Texas cities are compared to California cities your post really should have been in your Central Valley thread, not in a city (Sacramento) you don't live in.

Are you thinking of leaving Fresno?

I was gonna put that in the development thread, but i couldnt find it.

Im not saying texas has better cities, just that theyre building them better right now, which is sad because CA offers more. Not really a diss on Sacramento, more of a diss on the state gov.

I wanna go back to palm springs, but climate change. I have my escape area lined up if things get worse.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
I was gonna put that in the development thread, but i couldnt find it.

Im not saying texas has better cities, just that theyre building them better right now, which is sad because CA offers more. Not really a diss on Sacramento, more of a diss on the state gov.

I wanna go back to palm springs, but climate change. I have my escape area lined up if things get worse.
We gave up on leaving Sacramento and/or California last year for family reasons. We are here for the long haul.

Care to share your escape plan? It's interesting how even Dems and lefties are gearing up for an escape of some sort, was this all planned and they already know the outcome, and they are planning it and/or enabling it, a revolution that has been evolving since 2020....actually probably before 2020, but it wasn't really noticeable until 2020.

Some say there are some catastrophic Californian economic policies in the works right now and we the citizens are enabling it. Hmm, should we be concerned?

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-14-2023 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-14-2023, 10:26 PM

1,443 posts, read 1,568,121 times
Bank failures like SVB are a huge concern to many right now in the state as well as many tech layoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento